sharetrader
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    Just like putting money aside for the rainy day. What happens if it doesn't rain? You may as well not have the money.
    I'll still have my savings and this increases each month and hopefully the interest earned helps me keep up with inflation. It is the great returns provided by the share market that I missed.
    I haven't got the motivation or intelligence to study and pick individual stocks so will probably look at smart shares but I am still holding off until we have had a decent correction.
    I switched my Kiwisaver to the most conservative a couple of months ago from a growth fund and will switch back to a growth fund after a correction. Maybe I should just buy a section and build a house on it? I am hoping patience will help my long term net worth this time round but as each year goes past it is getting harder not to do something particularly as I am past the halfway mark of my expected lifespan.

Aaron...buddy you're a bit of a sad sack. Is it all getting too hard? Too difficult? Feel like you're too late, under resourced, under educated and just generally in a bad place financially? Half full ...half full ..half full...NOT half empty. So firstly examine the good things ..you have savings...have a Kiwisaver and also you are only Halfway through your allotted lifespan Many people would love to be in your position so cheer up. In your position I would consider the following options (since you appear unable to think about this objectively).

• Make an effort to search out courses, uni or poly or even online to learn more about the financial world. If I can educate myself..anyone can...just take your time and be patient.
    • Forget about what you have missed.....its too late cant do anything about it. Use it as a reference not a defining indictment of your inability to succeed.
    • Read everything you can from all types of investors...use the library..make notes
    • No-one person, forum or book has the answer to your financial security..only you can provide that and only by making your own interpretation from filtering all the information you can get your hands on.
    • Lastly you will not be left behind by doing nothing for a year or two..if anything you will gain wisdom and insight by watching and observing.
    • Forget about trying to pick the "right time". If you think about this its impossible since the rightness only becomes apparent long after the event.
    • Most people learn most effectively by actually doing something so don't discount the positive benefits that can accrue by just getting in and having a crack. Having a share lose value will tend to concentrate everybody in the learning process. However make small mistakes (as opposed to large ones)
    • Recognise that ultimately when you are buying shares and bonds you are handing over the safekeeping of your funds to everybody else. If you want to watch it more carefully and have some control over its outcome then consider starting your own business or increase skill level or earning capacity. What you can control yourself will have more meaning and focus your attention and effort.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
      I'll still have my savings and this increases each month and hopefully the interest earned helps me keep up with inflation. It is the great returns provided by the share market that I missed.
      I haven't got the motivation or intelligence to study and pick individual stocks so will probably look at smart shares but I am still holding off until we have had a decent correction.
      I switched my Kiwisaver to the most conservative a couple of months ago from a growth fund and will switch back to a growth fund after a correction. Maybe I should just buy a section and build a house on it? I am hoping patience will help my long term net worth this time round but as each year goes past it is getting harder not to do something particularly as I am past the halfway mark of my expected lifespan.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Guru

Mate, what happens if the correction in say 3 years does not drop the market lower than where it is now? Have a look at the chart of the DOW and you will see that it is very difficult to profit by "waiting" for a correction. Bull markets can last decades and you may be missing out on the biggest bull in History. You may not either but "waiting" for the market to fall is as dangerous as putting your money under your mattress.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Mate, what happens if the correction in say 3 years does not drop the market lower than where it is now? Have a look at the chart of the DOW and you will see that it is very difficult to profit by "waiting" for a correction. Bull markets can last decades and you may be missing out on the biggest bull in History. You may not either but "waiting" for the market to fall is as dangerous as putting your money under your mattress.
    Yes, there's a lot of truth in the old adage of "time in the market" being more important than "timing the market". The important bit is getting the stock selection "right". Stagger purchases over a period if uncertain as to timing - in a few years it won't matter much if the stocks are the right ones!

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, there's a lot of truth in the old adage of "time in the market" being more important than "timing the market". The important bit is getting the stock selection "right". Stagger purchases over a period if uncertain as to timing - in a few years it won't matter much if the stocks are the right ones!
    To be honest I will probably invest in Smart Shares and other index funds and limit individual stock selection. I think you can set up a regular automatic payment with smart shares. Seeing as the next crash is just round the corner(ha ha) I am waiting for a significant drop in the index before starting.

Permanent Newbie

To be honest I will probably invest in Smart Shares and other index funds and limit individual stock selection. I think you can set up a regular automatic payment with smart shares. Seeing as the next crash is just round the corner(ha ha) I am waiting for a significant drop in the index before starting.
    What a f**king idiot.

What a f**king idiot.
    I assumed you had 2 chances of buying in on the most significant crash - March 2020 and, a very likely crash in the coming weeks as Putin is set to invade Ukraine.

I prefer to follow old men - Buffet and Munger. Stay fully invested. No one can really time the market with consistency. You should not be so hard on yourself.

Indeed timing the market is a fools errand.

Since timing the market is so difficult, I much rather use the Buffet approach of buying shares. In the 80s Buffet made millions selling put options on CocaCola. You're paid a premium for the option contracts while specifying the agreed lower future price. This works well in a bear market if you want to be assigned.