sharetrader
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Nearly two years and still waiting for the worst to come.
    My question is I use ASB Securities and have money in my cash management account earning .5% waiting for the big crash that may never come.
    I want to be able to quickly buy shares if there is a major fall or if I think markets have overreacted to some news on a company.
    Is there any savings account or otherwise where I could park my money at a better rate but have it available at the drop of a hat. Term Deposits aren't much good as I want to have access to the funds quickly. Any ideas.
    Direct Broking pay 2.8% on broking account and it is a PIE account.

Aaron Change your broker have a look at Direct Broking's accounts
    Possum The Cat

Permanent Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try the Rabobank Call Account. Hopefully they are not one of the European banks about to get into trouble. They do have the highest credit rating of any bank in NZ last time I looked. I think the Direct Broking fees are similar so will stick with ASB for now.

Permanent Newbie

Rabos call account is doing OK.

Well over two years waiting for the imminent crash of financial markets. Looks like central banks won't allow deflation and with >$2 petrol cash will probably be trash again.

I am starting to think that the crash won't come and that the central banks will win and inflate away everyones debt. Feeling silly holding cash and saving but am not yet tempted to buy after reading Jim Rogers, Marc Faber. But with inflation we could in effect have a crash if asset prices stay the same while everything else goes up to justify their valuations.

I have made some small speculative buys of small near term producing gold miners and sitting on some sizeable losses(still optimistic re PMs in spite of Skols now famous certainty of an imminent PM wipeout). Am being patient on the crash as I will give it to the end of 2013 before giving up on waiting.

What does everyone else think. Borrow as cash will be trash and interest rates are low?

P.S. I wouldn't borrow for speculative stocks, that is money I can cope with losing. I would borrow against blue chips or infrastructure and utilities. (my leverage plus their leverage means inflation good as long as interest rates don't suddenly go up and govt regulation allows for inflation adjustments)
    Last edited by Aaron; 23-08-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: clarification

Permanent Newbie

Just a random thought. If the US Federal Reserve buys $85billion($NZ101Billion) of bonds each month what is stopping a large wall street bank issuing bonds to the Fed and buying the NZX with a cpaitalisation of about $NZ70 Billion(A few companies they might not want to buy). All this funny money can be used to buy real assets and they can borrow at very low interest rates. It seems crazy and wrong.

P.s. it may pay to check my figures so correct me if I am wrong.

Permanent Newbie

I am not a proponent of TA to make investment decisions but as I have been waiting for the next leg down for the last three years, doesn't the XAO aussie index indicate you need to sell your aussie shares.
    NZ50 not there yet. Just looking back at Phadreas's advice further back in this thread. If I could avoid another 2007-2009 that would be great.
    I guess no one knows the future as Mr P says but prices are indicating a downturn are they not. Could the next big leg down be on the horizon or do I have another three years to wait. maybe 2009 was the sale of the century and I have another 96years to wait.

Only thing I can tell now is we will have great opportunities in global stocks markets and commodity markets in the coming years and coming decades. There will be bull market somewhere. At different times different stockmarkets, stocks, currencies, commodities and sectors will outperform others.

There are lot of things to learn including money flow, demand and supply mismatch, group actions, psychology, new demographic trends, megatrends, long term business value, future earnings, new developments, business cycles including currency, commodity cycles and few other important factors related to markets etc.

Intelligent players will not worry about recession, market volatility,fed decisions, interest rate, currency trend and inflation etc. they will identify opportunities when others make mistake. Lot of people missed the train in stock markets as they were talking about Ex-Japan, higher unemployment,recession and euro crisis etc during last couple of years.

My ideas are not arecommendation to either buy or sell any security or currency. Please do yourown research prior to making any investment decisions
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 27-06-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Well over two years waiting for the imminent crash of financial markets. Looks like central banks won't allow deflation and with >$2 petrol cash will probably be trash again.

I am starting to think that the crash won't come and that the central banks will win and inflate away everyones debt. Feeling silly holding cash and saving but am not yet tempted to buy after reading Jim Rogers, Marc Faber.
    OK four/five years since 2009 waiting for another 2007-2009 crash. Maybe it was once in a lifetime opportunity missed. Without interest rates increasing (which I can't see happening in the foreseeable future) shares will continue up as people accept a lower yield with some inflation protection from shares rather than money in the bank.

I don't think I can wait for a correction anymore. Me buying shares would be the surest sign of an imminent financial market correction. Is anyone else waiting for a large correction or am I being silly. Maybe I should invest my savings as I go and if I don't bail out in a large correction use leverage (mortgage & margin) to make the most of a major correction.
    Note that I just want to buy good companies at attractive yields without getting in and out of the market. I am trying to time the market but just the once somewhere near the bottom of the next crash.

Actually it seems silly looking back at this thread waiting for the next leg down which may never come.

I love threads like these, lessons to be learnt from the overzealous and the overcautious.

Super Investor

OK four/five years since 2009 waiting for another 2007-2009 crash. Maybe it was once in a lifetime opportunity missed. Without interest rates increasing (which I can't see happening in the foreseeable future) shares will continue up as people accept a lower yield with some inflation protection from shares rather than money in the bank.

I don't think I can wait for a correction anymore. Me buying shares would be the surest sign of an imminent financial market correction. Is anyone else waiting for a large correction or am I being silly. Maybe I should invest my savings as I go and if I don't bail out in a large correction use leverage (mortgage & margin) to make the most of a major correction.
    Note that I just want to buy good companies at attractive yields without getting in and out of the market. I am trying to time the market but just the once somewhere near the bottom of the next crash.

Actually it seems silly looking back at this thread waiting for the next leg down which may never come.
    Just like putting money aside for the rainy day. What happens if it doesn't rain? You may as well not have the money.
    h2