sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Net-Net Bet

Share Collector

Default The Net-Net Bet

Not too long ago, I read the following post by Roger Montgomery:

Should a Value Investor Imitate Ben Graham?

He refers to the following investment method:

Ben Graham advocated a mostly, if not purely, quantitative approach to finding bargains. He sought to buy businesses trading at a discount to net current asset values – what has been subsequently referred to as ‘net-nets’. That is, he sought companies whose shares could be purchased for less than the current assets – the cash, inventory and receivables – of the company, minus all the liabilities.
    He concludes that:
    Many investors cling to the Graham approach to investing even though some, if not many of his brightest and most successful students, moved on decades ago.
    I found it somewhat odd to think there is a silent bevy of value investors out there looking for "net-nets" - personally, my impression has been that value investors have been looking at a lot of different parameters in the last few years - P/E, yield, ROE, PEG and even EV/EBITDA always seem to get many more mentions than net working capital. And for at least 5 years prior to 2007 (and perhaps more like 15), it seemed almost impossible to find a company that fitted the Ben Graham description - particularly not one that was booking a profit.

Now since this is one of those rare occasions in my investing career when it might be possible to find enough net-nets, I thought perhaps we should test this!

Roger is comparing against his own, mostly ROE-based, style of investing. I thought it would be interesting to find perhaps 10 net-nets and test their performance. (I haven't quite decided what to compare with - perhaps Roger's Valueline portfolio, although that varies in composition).

However, I need help to find more Net-Nets - all they need is lots of current assets, not many liabilities and a market cap that is going to be less than the difference (i.e. start by looking for low NTA).

So far, in the "net-nets" department, I have the following:

AMO - $0.40 - market cap $12.3m, current assets - total liabilities = $17.3m
    CPI - $0.29 - market cap $17.9, current assets - total liabilities = $46.2m
    ESS - $0.19 - market cap $9.9m, current assets - total liabilities = $14.0m

Any suggestions welcome!

Super Investor

Careful Lizard, you maybe inviting a P chart onslaught.
    h2

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    Careful Lizard, you maybe inviting a P chart onslaught.
    Wow!

Time for a break...

On the doghouse

However, I need help to find more Net-Nets - all they need is lots of current assets, not many liabilities and a market cap that is going to be less than the difference (i.e. start by looking for low NTA).
    NZS - $0.44 - market cap $NZ107.5m, current assets - total liabilities = $US162.0m or $NZ231.4m

based on a $NZ1 = $US0.7 exchange rate

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Share Collector

Thanks Snoopy, much appreciated... I will take a look!

I did consider CSS, but I am not really willing to count the valuation of biological assets under IFRS as being equivalent to the valuation methods of Ben Graham's day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Thanks Snoopy, much appreciated... I will take a look!

I did consider CSS, but I am not really willing to count the valuation of biological assets under IFRS as being equivalent to the valuation methods of Ben Graham's day.
    Liz

Have a look at the MLM thread, is that the kind of company you're after?

Correct me if im wrong but thought the Net-Net investment is where the market cap that is 2/3rds or less of working capital to give a sufficient margin of safety?

Share Collector

Hi Shasta,

The main criteria for a net-net is that if total liabilities are subtracted from current assets, the remainder is greater than the market cap. In the case of MLM, I get the difference of $22.7 - $9.2 = $13.5m, while market cap is $27.5m, so it wouldn't pass the hurdle.

Ideally (if I was actually going to be buying them), I'd also want companies that expected to be profitable in the current period. However, I'm not sure if I will find enough of them for this experiment! So I'm interested to follow the progress of any shares that pass the net-net test.

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but thought the Net-Net investment is where the market cap that is 2/3rds or less of working capital to give a sufficient margin of safety?
    I think in Ben Graham's case, his team typically purchased at two-thirds of net working capital, but I don't think it was an exact criteria.

I'm not so fussy - if I actually decided to buy any, they'd have to jump a few more of my own hurdles first anyway. This is just a paper-based exercise and still not sure we'll find enough stocks for this experiment.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    However, I'm not sure if I will find enough of them for this experiment! So I'm interested to follow the progress of any shares that pass the net-net test.
    In the information age, and with limited amount of options (in NZ at least) I wonder if it will be possible.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk