sharetrader
Page 59 of 101 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Hey,

What's the outlook on BRL?

I am feeling the pain of not doing my Homework coupled with buying at a bad time @4.4cps a few months ago. Are they a strong hold or are they just a company that is going to continue to decline over the years like the coal industry as a whole (admittedly, I don't know much about the industry)?
    Just not sure whether I should cut my losses or wait.

Any advice and insight from you knowledgeable guys would be a great help!

Thanks and look forward to hearing your thoughts on BRL.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Regi View Post
    Hey,

I am feeling the pain of not doing my Homework coupled with buying at a bad time @4.4cps a few months ago. Are they a strong hold or are they just a company that is going to continue to decline over the years like the coal industry as a whole (admittedly, I don't know much about the industry)?

The world is against coal now. The US and China have agreed to cut back on carbon emissions and coal is the easyest target to achieve that. To hang onto coal now is just pissing into the wind.
    digger

I'm
    Hey,

If you're serious, I suggest you start your homework by reading this thread.

This might help! Bathurst have a sizable resource at Denniston, which they wont tap into until the market price for coking coal goes up. The graph here unfortunately is going in the wrong direction......

http://www.sunsirs.com/uk/prodetail-417.html

Hey,

So saying, my take on Bathhurst, although simplistic is positive.

The company has reset itself to live within its means.
    Arguably the dizzy heights of the 2010 coal price wont be reached again.
    All consents are in place to mine Denniston.
    One day coking coal will recover.
    There are pointers that Bathurst are talking to at least one overseas suitors - Remember that Pike River had a couple of Indian companies on board.
    One day Bathurst will announce contracts and a mining start - what price will the shares move to at that point? say in the $0.20 cent range?
    Once successful mining operations are ongoing, what is the achievable price then?

In my book the share is longer term keeper with a very good potential.

So saying, my take on Bathhurst, although simplistic is positive.

The company has reset itself to live within its means.
    Arguably the dizzy heights of the 2010 coal price wont be reached again.
    All consents are in place to mine Denniston.
    One day coking coal will recover.
    There are pointers that Bathurst are talking to at least one overseas suitors - Remember that Pike River had a couple of Indian companies on board.
    One day Bathurst will announce contracts and a mining start - what price will the shares move to at that point? say in the $0.20 cent range?
    Once successful mining operations are ongoing, what is the achievable price then?

In my book the share is longer term keeper with a very good potential.

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    The world is against coal now. The US and China have agreed to cut back on carbon emissions and coal is the easyest target to achieve that. To hang onto coal now is just pissing into the wind.
    Sigh - I guess we had to get the mandatory (but unfortunately as often irrelevant) tree hugger statement.

I don't want to get here into a war about the future of (thermal) coal - create your own thread and enjoy the discussion with yourself, however - this is absolutely irrelevant for the future of BRL.

BRL's main product is coking coal for the export. The world will need coking coal as long as it needs steel. No known substitute to turn iron ore into steel.

So - I guess BRL's problem is not that the world may move away from (thermal) coal, but that the world steel demand dropped somewhat with the slowing down of the Chinese market - and that there are at current enough miners (like e.g. BHL) around who produce coking coal cheaper than BRL can do - and who decided to fight a price war on resources (similar to the Saudi's squeezing the price of oil).

The main question for BRL is whether the world steel demand will go up again - e.g. with China expanding towards the West (new silk road) and India with their expected economic upturn. If world steel demand recovers, BRL will be a good investment. If it doesn't, than we better write off the value of our shares.

Digger - feel free to contribute to this thread in case you have any relevant and well researched comments, but please stop this senseless down ramping of everything which doesn't fit between your ideological blinkers - life is too short for this.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 22-05-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: missed a word - fixed
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Hey,

BRL's domestic operation appears sound at the moment but be mindful that one of their major clients on the West Coast is closing down mid next year. Another user for their thermal coal there will be required. It is this arm of the business that is funding the current plateau works, that I'm told must continue so that their resource consents do not expire. Their met coal is considered one of the best available for making quality steel alloys. Transport to market is their major Achilles heal against Australian produced equivalents.

Veteran novice

Today's DomPost carries an article in which Jeanette Fitzsimons - remember her? - criticises Fonterra for powering certain of its plants by burning coal. Apparently, a switch to biofuels would be uneconomic - not surprisingly - and coal retains an advantage over gas at current prices. Author Gerard Hutching reckons "if not for dairy factories Australian coal miner Bathurst might find it hard to survive in NZ."

Article doesn't seem to be available on Stuff at present.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    ....... Author Gerard Hutching reckons "if not for dairy factories Australian coal miner Bathurst might find it hard to survive in NZ."

Article doesn't seem to be available on Stuff at present.
    Talk about stating the obvious!