sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I'm intrigued. How did you find it?
    Wow! I thought I followed politics well enough but at this point, I'm at a loss what you guys are talking about. Sorry folks but gut feel says it's not really important then. But keep at it and who knows it will kick in sometime

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    Wow! I thought I followed politics well enough but at this point, I'm at a loss what you guys are talking about. Sorry folks but gut feel says it's not really important then. But keep at it and who knows it will kick in sometime
    You're probably right. This is way more important.

http://norightturn.blogspot.co.nz/20...ig-danger.html

Advanced Member

I'm intrigued. How did you find it?
    It was widely available in the beginning, but has since disappeared from most places I believe. Suppose the threat of legal action played its part.Certainly the copy I read has gone.

I hear that it is still out there on the interweb, but I haven't looked.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    It was widely available in the beginning, but has since disappeared from most places I believe. Suppose the threat of legal action played its part.Certainly the copy I read has gone.

I hear that it is still out there on the interweb, but I haven't looked.
    Yes, it's still there, the guy making the claims said he'd happily undergo a lie detector test, even if it's not admissible in court.

Not sure who it was that defended King Salmon's practices on here, but a year or two ago a low-flow site in Marlborough had an incident with fish mortality that required them to call in the boffins from MPI. 70% of all the salmon at the site, died over the course of a few days. That's why they want to move their farms somewhere else.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...ay+7+July+2017

Advanced Member

There you go el Z. You got through a whole day on a bit of rumour and supposition without a single challenge! Maybe you will get confident, enough to listen to that clown - and I will have the pleasure of watching the egg run down your face. This is right in the middle of my patch and I suppose I should shut up now and be satisfied with the three or four winners I had on the horses and good figures on the market. I think your man will win in Napier so be satisfied with that.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Yes, it's still there, the guy making the claims said he'd happily undergo a lie detector test, even if it's not admissible in court.
    Be a daredevil eZ. Tell us what this fellow alleges. Got to be good for a laugh.

Legend

Be a daredevil eZ. Tell us what this fellow alleges. Got to be good for a laugh.
    FP, you'll have to do more googling, check back a few posts. It's a bit too involved to spell out on a tidy site such as this, and I'm not going to get booted off before an election that the Labour/Greens should win. His first name is Ashley. While some of the details about Paula relate to a Napier address, Ashley now apparently lives in Ohaupo, on the outskirts of Hamiltown. He does seem to be keen on posting amateur videos on various subjects.

IMO

Easy to google alright ; quite detailed, alleging 3 counts of fraud, very serious if there is any thing to it.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Easy to google alright ; quite detailed, alleging 3 counts of fraud, very serious if there is any thing to it.
    Yes easy to find and quite the revelation, if it's true. Given the number of places that it has been removed from, someone wants it suppressed, so perhaps there is some truth in it! Quite the scandal really, might be the end of Paula Bennett.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Yes easy to find and quite the revelation, if it's true. Given the number of places that it has been removed from, someone wants it suppressed, so perhaps there is some truth in it! Quite the scandal really, might be the end of Paula Bennett.
    Here's an article from 2009 about Bennett, mentioning her workplaces.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...in-new-Cabinet

I'm sure there could be quite a bit of questioning in her direction, within the protected walls of the House.

Absolute freedom of speech in Parliament

In New Zealand’s democracy there are limits on freedom of speech, such as those in the Human Rights Act 1993 and the Defamation Act 1992. However, words spoken as part of parliamentary proceedings are subject to absolute freedom of speech. Article 9 of the Bill of Rights 1688 provides “That the freedom of speech, and debates or proceedings in Parliament, ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of Parliament.” This protects not only members of Parliament, but also witnesses and advisers at select committee meetings, from being sued for defamation or otherwise being held legally liable for what they say in a parliamentary proceeding. The Parliamentary Privilege Act 2014 (section 10) defines what “proceedings in Parliament” are, that is “all words spoken and acts done in the course of, or for purposes of or incidental to, the transacting of the business of the House or of a committee.”
    However, if the words said in parliamentary proceedings (the House and its committees) are repeated elsewhere, the protection of parliamentary privilege does not apply. Procedures are in place for both the House and select committees to ensure natural justice (fairness of process) is observed. These allow right of reply to those who consider their reputation has been damaged by statements made under privilege. Arguments continue about whether there are enough protections against unfair allegations. This must be weighed against the need for the House and committees to be free to hear of any matters that may affect the business under consideration.
    Elected representatives make important decisions and they are better able to do this where information and opinions can be disclosed without fear of legal consequences.
    The privilege of free speech in Parliament carries an obligation to use it responsibly. The House has the ability to punish for contempt; an example of contempt would be to mislead the House or a committee deliberately (see below).
    Last edited by elZorro; 09-07-2017 at 06:43 PM.