sharetrader
Page 314 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 2142643043103113123133143153163173183243644148141314 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 16077
    Legend

Yes, sorry to hear that, Craic. I suppose you had a few discussions over politics. BTW, I think I'd be a bit younger than you, but I'm not that keen on using a chainsaw anymore, so you must be fairly fit.

Dilettante

Sorry to hear that Craig and my sincerest condolences.

Advanced Member

We never mentioned politics or discussed them, other friends introduced me to Dr Cullen and the ex Labour member for here, Russell Fairbrother QC is also a friend. If you want to keep your friends leave out politics and religion. I had the good fortune to be raised in a place where the two ends of the spectrum were DeValeras Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. Devs' party was the republican side that supported complete seperation from Britain - The other side supported the agreement Michael Collins made with the British for a self governing state within within the commonwealth. The left and right were not known in that context. Ironically my Uncle Frank Purcell, a veteran of the war of independence in Ireland was head of the union movement there. He was imprisoned by the British, no doubt as a "terrorist" but eventually went from General Secretary of The Irish Transport and General Workers Uunion into the Irish Upper House (I cant remember what its called, let alone spell it) as the Labour Representative before he died many years ago Incidentally for anyone who knows the Song "Fields of Athenry" and its sad but accurate message, Frank was born in Athenry.

My condolences as well Craic, family and friends are the most important things in this life
    I was interested in your comments concerning your uncle as they have an Irish History paper available here at Otago and I would like to take it sometime. I think the Irish Upper House is called the Seanad Eireann

Advanced Member

Arrived at the club today my other half and a friend to sit at the table we share with Rob and have a couple for him. Then to be told that a lady who sits at the next table with her husband was seriously ill. Then her husband arrived assisted by family to tell us that she died last night. We were joking with the pair on Saturday, she was fit and well and he was on a walking frame and needed her to get around. Got home just in time to watch Mark DuPlesiss ride my pick in the big race at Rotorua - and win. Reminds meof the Highwaymens song "The road goes on Forever but the party never Ends"
    Last edited by craic; 16-04-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzie View Post
    . Rodney is now part of the Auckland super city yet make a phone call to somebody in the old Auckland and it is a toll call, but their rates go towards the new rail system. Go figure that? Easy, left wing Auckland mayor and his cronies calling the shots.
    Back to the welfare system we have. Why do left wing thinkers & tinkers think only the poor should be covered, what about those who work hard to get ahead - don't they deserve anything but pay tax to keep our welfare state running? Maybe National should look at changing this in the near future, after all a health system for all is the only fair system, is it not!!!

My daughter may have got a pleasant surprise when not charged the other day, but now she is angry that she does where she lives. All I could tell her is special needs for the needy and that is about the truth of it.
    I cannot see the connection between the Auck. Council and making a toll call. Does the Council own the phone system.? As for the public health system I thought it was available to all not just the left wing thinkers and tinkerers? Tthe free medical care for under 6 children is provided by many practioners but not all. ( probably the Act party supporters) I think National should provide it for all under 6 children.

Westerly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    I cannot see the connection between the Auck. Council and making a toll call. Does the Council own the phone system.? As for the public health system I thought it was available to all not just the left wing thinkers and tinkerers? Tthe free medical care for under 6 children is provided by many practioners but not all. ( probably the Act party supporters) I think National should provide it for all under 6 children.

Westerly
    Happy to help you Westerly.

Name any city in the world where one part of it's city is a toll call to the rest of that city apart from Auckland (calling both ways). It was a toll call before they merged us into their fold and they have done nothing to amend it as surely they should of. As I said we pay for railway tracks that come as close as 28 kms as the crow flies and they were quick to do that. If you can't make that connection then that's why you vote Labour. One phone service is useless as the Left wing mayor of Aucks. to the Hibiscus coast but they get to pay for it(more proof Len Brown is off the rails) and the other is useful, but what should be a free service to phone your fellow Aucklanders is not free just to those on the Hibiscus coast.
    The left wing thinkers and tinkerers is responsible for trying to make the non-poor and the workers pay for the health system and schooling. That's left wing politics and why you vote for them, make the wealthy & those earning an income pay for everything and give the useless everything for free. Hardly fair or encouraging for the unemployed to get off their backsides. Just look at how schools are graded. You have poor living in high docile school zones too, so why should they miss out on a handout & lower fees? Left wing failure right there, maybe target individuals instead of zoning areas would fit Labours philosophy better. Why do you think National should provide free heath care for under 6 year old kids? Don't you think parents should take responsibility for kids they decide to have in the first place? Again, take responsibility.

Labour = Nanny State & they are far to overprotective of the poor and it is the workers who pay for Labours policies. A man has far more pride in himself getting out there and providing for his family than the man who sits on his as* until the State pays him his beer & smoke money.

You probably still can't make the connection Westerly, but that's OK -there are plenty who do.

Gross generalization of a labour supporter there cuzzie. Plenty of good,decent,honest working men out there vote for Labour. And I think generally their policies they implemented over the years would have been considered centrist.

The problem is they have a strong extreme left component that they have to cater too. And they don't have a credible leader now...

I still see absolutely no point in changing from the current lot which are doing fine. Anything Labour has produced as evidence to the contrary has been politicing and really just chipping at the edges.

There you go EZ. A bit of balance

Banned

Absolutely right slimwin I over did by my rant, but you get the general drift. Your comments in the rest of your post too are fair too.
    Last edited by Cuzzie; 17-04-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzie View Post
    Happy to help you Westerly.

Name any city in the world where one part of it's city is a toll call to the rest of that city apart from Auckland (calling both ways).
    There are many cities like that - worldwide.