sharetrader
Page 706 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 2066066566967027037047057067077087097107167568061206 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,060 of 16077

Nice one Craic. Its a bit hard to take away what you have never received. That was a lot of people's comment. Well we can't be any worse off!
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

You are so one eyed, you should become a pirate. Tauranga is booming and Peters has to be given some credit for that, like him or not.
    Northland now has Winston Peters as its MP not someone from Southland, so we now have a high profile MP rather than a novice that no one had heard of representing a party that abandoned Northland long ago. We had nothing to lose. And something does change which you fail to recognize through your one eye & its fundamental. Winston Peters represents Northland & he is the leader of his party. Northland is actually on the map purely because he stood. We used to get one day of publicity a year, Waitangi day, now that will change to & we will start getting a fair share of funding & attention.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Congratulations to Ria Bond, the likely new Southland list MP of NZ First. She is the next on the NZ First list with Winston having now his own electorate (though we don't know yet, whether she will accept the new job)! If she does, I am sure she will be highly committed to the people of Northland who brought her into office.

Actually, I am wondering whether the people currently rejoicing with this election result will really turn out to be the ultimate winners of this election?

So lets see:

The people of Northland get the candidate they voted for. Did they win though? Actually, I don't know, but I can't remember Winston doing a lot for his previous constituencies (Tauranga), so why should it be different this time? On the other hand - never before this election heard of the National candidate, and at the end it probably doesn't really matter whether Osborne from Northland or Bond from Southland (Invercargill) are now drawing a MP's salary (remember - nothing changes for Peters, he is already a sitting MP, just slipping from List-MP to directly elected).

The people of New Zealand - actually, I do see some winners here. National stopped to listen to the people (same as Helen in her third term). This election might act as a warning shot in front of their bow - and who knows, maybe the current government starts to consider again the wishes of the people (ever the optimist ...).

The Green / Left: They are rejoicing the most ... and I am not quite sure whether they really won. Winston is clearly neither Green nor Left - and the past shows that he is very happy to work with the people offering him the bigger baubles ...

National: Will be interesting to see how they are playing it, but this event very well might be a healing shock for a party which slowly stopped to listen to the people. If they get the message (Thanks Winston) than this might be the key event helping them to get their act again together, restart to listen and continue their reign come 2017. Two and a half years should be plenty to regroup and improve.

I guess time will tell - but nothing better than a lost election to keep politicians on their toes.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

I just updated a chart of employee and enterprise numbers. You can see the brisk rate of improvement under Labour, the drop back and slow recovery under National. So now, we're back to where we were in 2008. Except there's been a population increase meanwhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nats got more votes at some booths

http://northland-byelection.newsapps.nz/#/

Interesting too look back at last 2 elections
    Last edited by winner69; 29-03-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    You are so one eyed, you should become a pirate. Tauranga is booming and Peters has to be given some credit for that, like him or not.
    Northland now has Winston Peters as its MP not someone from Southland, so we now have a high profile MP rather than a novice that no one had heard of representing a party that abandoned Northland long ago. We had nothing to lose. And something does change which you fail to recognize through your one eye & its fundamental. Winston Peters represents Northland & he is the leader of his party. Northland is actually on the map purely because he stood. We used to get one day of publicity a year, Waitangi day, now that will change to & we will start getting a fair share of funding & attention.
    Daytr, I wish you well. I remember that Winston used to compare himself some days ago with Konrad Adenauer (first chancellor of West Germany after WWII). I give him that he is now reaching the age when Adenauer first took his post as chancellor (well, still 4 years to go - Adenauer started with age 73), but I sincerely wish for Northland that Winston will as well reach Adenauer's political format. Still somewhat lacking at current, I'd say. But than - with people like you as his constituents, nobody will notice anyway. You seem to be easy to please . I hope you enjoy every day of Winston being your personal MP. If you want to do the rest of NZ a favour - please keep him!
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 29-03-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: removed duplication
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Black Peter, words fail me, the lunacy of some of your posts. Complete waste of time.

Just a quick note on soaring government debt under National. There is a misconception that Government income via tax etc plummeted during the GFC.
    They did level off & dip slightly for a couple of years but since then have soared & yet government debt continues to grow & they have also sold billions of dollars of assets. Anyone can borrow money to fund a program, the test is can you re-pay it & and this point there is no indication from National that this is even close to be the case.

NZ Government income since 2000 to 2014.

Year Tax receipts
    2000 36,001
    2001 38,002
    2002 41,199
    2003 44,040
    2004 48,015
    2005 52,626
    2006 55,198
    2007 59,323
    2008 57,673
    2009 55,388
    2010 56,397
    2011 58,327
    2012 62,217
    2013 66,347
    2014 70,609

Northland - I'd be worried if I was Labour.

Labour - Willow-Jean Prime 1,315. One of their better candidates.

If someone wants to protest they will now vote NZ First. Not only will Labour drop 1% in polls because of Northland lots of other Labour voters will switch to NZ First in polls.

Little turned chicken, Chicken Little.

And now Winston says he may not replace the NZ First list place which means the National majority stays the same and Little gave away the Labour votes for nothing.
    And Winston has no power to implement any of his $400 million of promises. Heh heh heh. New port? New railway? New fast train?

MVT, I think you & BlackPeter should form a comedy duo. Your posts are obviously satirical right? They have little bearing on reality so I can only assume that is the case. ;-) Only one eyed National supporters could spin this result that its worse for Labour than National. It was a massive black eye for Key & National, there is no other way of putting it. Labour in the end openly endorsed Peters & that is why the victory was so big & it would have been a close run thing without that endorsement. It was only after that endorsement that the polls for Peters surged to a 20 point lead from a small lead prior. But according to some here, people say one thing & vote another. Well that didn't happen. And when there is a massive reduction in National support of over 5k votes from memory, somehow its worse for Labour than National. Don't get me wrong this result was no endorsement for Labour, but it was a vote of no confidence in National.

In regards the parliamentary numbers actually it makes no difference having the additional member in regards who National would need to support a bill, otherwise I assure you Peters wouldn't be considering not bringing in the extra MP. Its consistent with their policy of a smaller parliament. Personally I think they should bring in the additional MP as you never know what can happen between now & the next election.

Jeez, what's happened to EZ? He and Daytr really must be the same person.....