sharetrader
    Legend

W69, you're now doing too much research, I'm stuck at work. But if you are correct, and many infrastructure areas have been underfunded in the past, is it therefore negligent of the current government to burden that same infrastructure with record immigration levels, for years at a time? When are they going to start governing? Haven't they proven to be poor leaders of the country? I think Labour have done careful research, their policies should help the situation.

After all, taxpayer money has been spent on all NZ-born youths who are not in training, not in employment. Those are the people we need to see getting their first real jobs. Maybe they'll need more training first, some incentives, some decent pay. All of that shouldn't be impossible.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That survey you posted the link too is interesting - makes you wonder why Labour wants to make an issue of immigrtaion if only 25% of NZers think its bad. Are they trying to create an emotional argument or something and sway some of those in the 42% who seem relaxed about immigration one way or the other.

Result of that survey below
    It is all in the question asked. The question asked about "immigration" and not the amount of immigration.

I guess you can be positive towards immigration but negative towards a high level of immigration. Whether people think the immigration level is "high" may depend on how well infrastructure and housing can cater for the existing population as well as new arrivals.

Even people who only want a small amount of immigration may consider at least some immigration is "an entirely positive thing" and could answer with a "10".

[QUOTE=BlackPeter;669693

I guess it is obviously pure desperation that Labour offers to severely damage our international education industry to satisfy a handful of old caucasians who otherwise would vote for Winston, but still - do you really think this is a good idea? Or is this just blind loyalty to a party which passed their best by date a long time ago and is not any more capable to shape a better future?[/QUOTE]

"Bill English and others say Labour would harm a multi billion export industry as though the industry was sacrosanct and exempt from even minor change"
    Quote from "The Press " editorial this morning which basically endorsed Labours policy on immigration.
    Probably written by an old caucasian.

westerly

Advanced Member

The Herald mostly endorses Labour. I'm sure el Zorro is either the editor or their chief political adviser.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    The Herald mostly endorses Labour. I'm sure el Zorro is either the editor or their chief political adviser.
    Could be that they are just really smart people.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Could be that they are just really smart people.
    I'll frame that, really cheered me up!

Immigration and the so-called economic growth, good comments.

https://thestandard.org.nz/immigrati...onomic-growth/
    Last edited by elZorro; 14-06-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Legend

The OECD has a report on NZ's low productivity which seems to match up fairly well to many observers in the comments. Steven Joyce, he's not so sure.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...y+16+June+2017

We are fairly laid back I guess, generally. My spouse has just started working for a larger local body, and is surprised at the number of managers, meetings and stress points. It doesn't appear to be very efficient.

But I am just as guilty of providing basic management at work, I'm not good at it and I haven't had any formal training in it. So when they say we could have a 2.5% improvement across the country, I'm sure it's bigger than that.

Advanced Member

We will just have to increase automation if employees at all levels don't improve productivity.

I see at Fieldays there is a smart kiwifruit picking robot, which could be in production in a couple of years. Expensive to start with but will work around the clock at harvest time. And carry out other tasks like spraying as well. And the universities are looking to expand its capabilities to apples next.

Increased automation will come at the expense of jobs.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    We will just have to increase automation if employees at all levels don't improve productivity.

I see at Fieldays there is a smart kiwifruit picking robot, which could be in production in a couple of years. Expensive to start with but will work around the clock at harvest time. And carry out other tasks like spraying as well. And the universities are looking to expand its capabilities to apples next.

I saw that robot too, briefly. Not sure it could keep up with a real picking job in a real canopy, and it wouldn't be cheap. Massey showed one a few years ago too, not sure what happened to that. When these units progress well past a student/graduate prototype into a production model, I'd look harder. Good job though.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Nah !!.. We have automation ( cards ) at most petrol pumps these days..

But we still have to import these highly skilled " Forecourt Engineers " to supply the Lollies and Coffee.. Shaken not stirred..