sharetrader
Page 833 of 833 FirstFirst ... 333733783823829830831832833
Results 12,481 to 12,484 of 12484
    Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Or whoever will let him be P.M. And Labour/greens would just about have to, given that neither of their leaders is P.M material. Winnie would be in like a robber's dog if he could get P.M role. I wouldn't discount it.

Oh stop it fungus. You know as well as I do that Winston's angling to be the Governor General.

I think the Left Whingers need to note a couple of things.

(1) the proportion of home ownership in NZ is about 60%. These home owners are secretly watching the increase in value of their property and in the secrecy of the ballot box they will be voting for the party that that will allow it to continue - National.
    And as long as this proportion is 50 or more that will continue.

(2) the lesson of Christchurch which seems to have completely gone over Labour/Greens head.
    After the earthquakes DOOM was forecast for Christchurch, not enough housing, not enough housing for the construction workers to rebuild Christchurch, huge inflation for Christchurch.
    Didn't happen. The higher demand induced higher supply, and more temporary housing was erected. Now the peak has passed, some of the temporary housing has been taken away, rents are very reasonable compared to the North Island and property prices are reasonable compared to the North Island and the inflation hasn't happened. The peak of the rebuild has passed. And National will win the Party Vote for Christchurch again.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Oh stop it fungus. You know as well as I do that Winston's angling to be the Governor General.
    Yeah but he might fancy a stint as P.M. on the way.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    I think the Left Whingers need to note a couple of things.

(1) the proportion of home ownership in NZ is about 60%. These home owners are secretly watching the increase in value of their property and in the secrecy of the ballot box they will be voting for the party that that will allow it to continue - National.
    And as long as this proportion is 50 or more that will continue.

(2) the lesson of Christchurch which seems to have completely gone over Labour/Greens head.
    After the earthquakes DOOM was forecast for Christchurch, not enough housing, not enough housing for the construction workers to rebuild Christchurch, huge inflation for Christchurch.
    Didn't happen. The higher demand induced higher supply, and more temporary housing was erected. Now the peak has passed, some of the temporary housing has been taken away, rents are very reasonable compared to the North Island and property prices are reasonable compared to the North Island and the inflation hasn't happened. The peak of the rebuild has passed. And National will win the Party Vote for Christchurch again.
    I think we need to keep "the lesson of Christchurch" in perspective, major. How much demand has been reduced by emigration from the city? How much industry and commerce has relocated? How much has tourism been impacted and the number of tourists reduced? All these factors have acted to reduce pressure on housing. Nevertheless, I agree that National should win the party vote in Christchurch again.