sharetrader

Looks like eZ is not the only one wanting Bill to be impeached https://nz.news.yahoo.com/video/watc...za-gate/#page1

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    EZ - just perfect for you mate
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...121921&ed=true

Good on the tip for trying to resurrect her
    It's not the most flattering of portraits. My main beef is that why did someone take the painting/mural to the dump? It's not a great look for Labour in election year. Maybe one of the Labour electorates or wanna-be candidates will pay for the artwork and we'll see it in public. I see TV1 must have read your post, W69, it was on the news.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Didn't I read somewhere yesterday that we are a billion dollars better off than expected? I know Labour would consider that a mere pittance - they could spend that in a week buying woolly socks for the homeless. A few less exporters? does that not mean that Jack and Jill and Willie and Joe decided to export through Michael and save on half empty containers and thus make a greater profit? I know numbers are hard for the left but they have plenty of time to learn arithmetic before they next come into power.
    Craic, I'll wait to see if National can have several billion dollars of surpluses like Labour had, and start paying off the huge debt they've got the taxpayer into. I think that if you look harder at govt cashflow, you'll see they are still borrowing money to pay the higher interest on the crown debt. So it's not a real surplus, it's a paper or accountancy surplus. You'll have to try harder if you're going to be the last remaining cheerleader for National.

Hello, hello, no new postings since 7th April? Politics losing it's appeal in an election year?

The problem for EZ in his posting above is that the "several billion dollars of surpluses like Labour had" were Rogernomics policies surpluses which Labour ran down until the last Budget they presented had a deficit.
    I'm happy to accept what Treasury says knowing that the Auditor General hasn't objected....:-)

Guru

I seem to remember Cullen saying that the surplus was not a real surplus when tax cuts were suggested.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    I seem to remember Cullen saying that the surplus was not a real surplus when tax cuts were suggested.
    When JK was urging him to spend the money?

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    When JK was urging him to spend the money?
    You are absolutely correct. The National opposition were squawking long and loud complaining about the surpluses. As is often the case there is a degree of political amnesia and denial from National Party supporters here,

Advanced Member

National amnesia? Stop any five Labour supporter on the street and ask them to name their last four leaders in order. Two will include Muldoon and one will include Savage and the others will ask what a leader is..
    Last edited by craic; 10-04-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    You are absolutely correct. The National opposition were squawking long and loud complaining about the surpluses. As is often the case there is a degree of political amnesia and denial from National Party supporters here,
    Both main parties recoil from making tough decisions. The three-year cycle favours short-term decisions pleasing to whatever current mood the majority of the voting electorate is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Both main parties recoil from making tough decisions. The three-year cycle favours short-term decisions pleasing to whatever current mood the majority of the voting electorate is in.
    I concur with your observation about 3 year terms. Personally I favor a 4 year term with fixed election dates. I would also like to see a return to a bicarmel legislature which we had until 1950 when the Legislative Council was abolished. The Irish Sinead is a good model. Not that any of this is likely to occur