sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Now there is a policy proposal from Mr Little to replace a number of our senior Meteorologists after the election on the grounds that they are not controlling the weather properly and causing expensive floods and the like. The final cull will be left to the Greens as they are seen to have the greatest insight into the will of God.
    Really good. You and Bob Jones might have gone to the same school of thought based on writing.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Now there is a policy proposal from Mr Little to replace a number of our senior Meteorologists after the election on the grounds that they are not controlling the weather properly and causing expensive floods and the like. The final cull will be left to the Greens as they are seen to have the greatest insight into the will of God.
    Sounds like alternative news, Craic. You can't talk up National, so you're trying to pull down the other team? It won't work, you know. National is on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    National is on the way out.
    They may well be, but the assumption that whoever replaces them will be materially 'better' is fundamentally flawed. There is such a gap between our politicians policy/law making actions and the resulting outcomes that for the general population it probably doesn't matter who is in government, so long as they don't do anything really stupid. I mean how else would Winston Peters still be a player in an election outcome?

I despair sometimes, but luckily I can refer to what is happening in the US and UK and see that maybe it isn't so bad after all.

Dilettante

Sounds like alternative news, Craic. You can't talk up National, so you're trying to pull down the other team? It won't work, you know. National is on the way out.
    Friends of mine (a couple) went to listen to Little and Ardern here in Nelson last week. They are both left voters and wanted to see Labour's new leadership team. They came away very much underwhelmed. They said Little did not come across confidently and got into silly arguments with some attendees that questioned what he was saying rather than ignoring them or confidently making his argument. Ardern, they're words were " unimpressive". They are going to listen to the Greens next week. Desperately searching for somewhere to put their vote but don't see Labour worthy of it with this Leader. With reports like that, not so sure about your claim EZ that National is on the way out. Winston may well still prefer English over a Little/Shaw combination

Veteran novice

But does that all really matter, iceman? Very few voters ever get anywhere near a political meeting and most form their preferences on a combination of promises, "policies" and journalists' presentations. And of course, on a perception of the effect on one's hip pocket! Good photos help, too!

Confession: Attended my last political meeting sometime in the 1960's.

Dilettante

Yes I think it does macduffy. The fact that he comes across unconvincingly in person at meetingsand in the media does not bode well for him come the election

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes I think it does macduffy. The fact that he comes across unconvincingly in person at meetingsand in the media does not bode well for him come the election
    Bill's a lot better I suppose?

Legend

Don't suppose. Go and listen to him sometime.

Dilettante

Yes he definitely is

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes he definitely is
    IMO, neither are particularly inspiring. However that is not necessarily a bad thing in a politician!