sharetrader

Hi guys.

Umm - I'd be ok with that grand bet that Labor/green coalition will romp home to be honest. But I want to leave the $$ out of it, If I had a grand I would spend that on a trip to Raratonga and a new tan. Have a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aQNrcMILcM

This is Little holding up the dirty nappy of the National party right here. As opposed to lining the pockets of shonky motel owners that house the homeless for a week or two, with endless cash outs from Paula Bennett's nonsense, a state house spending spree would be a return to sensible solid "giving a **** about people" that has been sorely lacking from the Nats for a while. People are pissed at the rat race around the whole rental- housing bull****. People in opposition can smell it a mile off.

Those with shares in MPG, FBI, and anything to do with construction injection could do quite well. The end of the Nats is not quite a forgone conclusion but a lot of their forced austerity is. Even the Greens have more nuanced conversations with economists of late it's not all hippies and organic bull**** anymore. The conversation has turned to inequality and actually looking at economic growth, **** that's been missing for a looooooong time. We might actually get that focus on the ****ing economy that is not about aging farms and ongoing payouts and might actually look at sustainable stuff that may indeed be productive. We might even see the return of scientific evidence based policy...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    IMO, neither are particularly inspiring. However that is not necessarily a bad thing in a politician!
    Haven't heard Little in person, but from his in house performance I can't imagine anything inspiring from him. Heard English several times when he has addressed university students at Otago. He is certainly impressive, perhaps not overly inspiring in the way Key was, but his intellect shines with his logic, his knowledge, the facts and figures at his fingertips and his answers to questions. He's good.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 13-04-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Advanced Member

Watched some programme on the homeless and the hopeless in England last night and this place is paradise by comparison. Remember, the vast majority of residents of this country have work, a home to go to and none of the problems that the left see as a blight on the nation. MW&I catch a bus to Napier every Saturday morning and as we arrive, we are always surprised at the crowd, cafes are full, all footpath table are taken and the smiles on the shopkeepers faces can be seen yards away. MW often remarks "where is all the poverty?" I simply point out that they are all in Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Haven't heard Little in person, but from his in house performance I can't imagine anything inspiring from him. Heard English several times when he has addressed university students at Otago. He is certainly impressive, perhaps not overly inspiring in the way Key was, but his intellect shines with his logic, his knowledge, the facts and figures at his fingertips and his answers to questions. He's good.
    Be a man, get up off your knees, he is only the National party leader until the next election.

westerly

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Watched some programme on the homeless and the hopeless in England last night and this place is paradise by comparison. Remember, the vast majority of residents of this country have work, a home to go to and none of the problems that the left see as a blight on the nation. MW&I catch a bus to Napier every Saturday morning and as we arrive, we are always surprised at the crowd, cafes are full, all footpath table are taken and the smiles on the shopkeepers faces can be seen yards away. MW often remarks "where is all the poverty?" I simply point out that they are all in Auckland.
    But they are all pretty hard up these poor people craic as you see here http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9078...p-off-taxpayer

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    With a bigger population and greater population density, it is more difficult to avoid being exposed to poverty in England. In addition, the BBC does not need to keep advertisers sweet so does not back away from producing more gritty programs and investigative journalism. When both the left and right criticise Aunty BBC, she must be doing an acceptable job! In the UK the commercial broadcasters have some decent investigative journalism too.

"But he has some sharp criticisms too. At one point Moore turns the questions on me, in his typically cryptic and profound way. He's started watching Country Calendar again. "How many of those people on Country Calendar do you think vote Labour now?" I choose the diplomatic route. What do you think the answer is? "None." Why? "Because we're not seen to be on the side of those who are strivers," he says. "I do think we've got trouble." "

Good stuff for EZ to read, and reflect on.

From an interview with Mike Moore http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11837273. Y'know Mike Moore is the only Labour man I've fully admired all the way through!

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    "But he has some sharp criticisms too. At one point Moore turns the questions on me, in his typically cryptic and profound way. He's started watching Country Calendar again. "How many of those people on Country Calendar do you think vote Labour now?" I choose the diplomatic route. What do you think the answer is? "None." Why? "Because we're not seen to be on the side of those who are strivers," he says. "I do think we've got trouble." "

From an interview with Mike Moore http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11837273. Y'know Mike Moore is the only Labour man I've fully admired all the way through!
    I watched that interview a couple of days ago. Even though he is quite bitter and obviously some issues were never solved within Labour, it is well worth watching and reflecting on. I found it particularly interesting when he said the current rules for selecting the Leader can not work. Guyon Espiner is doing a great job interviewing all our ex PMs

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post

I'll watch the whole thing sometime. But I think the whole thing about 'striving' not being associated with Labour, is a construct that has been developed by National and their C-T advisors for many years, until people in pubs etc, think it's the truth. If it's that black and white, it can't be right. If it was the case, why are policies like KiwiBuild on offer from Labour? That sounds like a lot of work to me.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'll watch the whole thing sometime. But I think the whole thing about 'striving' not being associated with Labour, is a construct that has been developed by National and their C-T advisors for many years, until people in pubs etc, think it's the truth.
    Yes, of course it is eZ. Nothing to do with Labour and/or its policies at all.