sharetrader
    Advanced Member

I wonder why he Labour Government didn't sort it out when they were in power? Their mantra appears to be that they will solve all the countries problems "When we are in power"

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Well I had missed it, maybe because of the name on the top of the article. Audrey tends to side with National, no matter what.

Here's a more balanced part of a Herald release:

Here's a link to the painfully slow process of the court case.

https://nzaca.org.nz/policy/equal-pay-case/

From The Standard, details on the govt's opposition to the equal pay case:

On 20th April, National released the draft of a new bill to restrict any chance of this court case result being used more widely. It's a big document, they've been working on this in the meantime.

http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-service...draft-bill.pdf

I put it to you, Iceman, does this look like the actions of a government that is fully behind equal pay and all of the ramifications of that? They can dress it up all they like, it could have been settled years ago, there could have been backpay, and it's only $500mill a year for the next four years. They're gritting their teeth and making a PR job of it, that's all.

Two people were sent into the appeal court on behalf of the Attorney General, J C Holden and C Fleming.

Here is what the Appeal Court said about their input (on behalf of the govt as an interested party):

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]

This particular rest home had some male carers who were paid at the same low rates as female carers. It's the second part of the last answer that is important. It relates to "systemic undervaluation". The Attorney General (National Govt) was hoping that systemic undervaluation could be ruled out of the Act. The courts said no, the appeal court said no as well, the ruling had to stand.
    Why don't you publish a book on the subject? You've already got the first seven chapters in the above posting.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Why don't you publish a book on the subject? You've already got the first seven chapters in the above posting.
    No, I don't need to, others will, more likely. I think the point I'm making is that we have to look behind the TV items and pro-National commentators to see what this government is really up to. They're keen on immigration, for several reasons, like its ability to keep wages down, and they're a big employer. It boosts property values, and most of their MPs have a piece of that. It makes the economy look good, and because the Crown has property, it boosts their asset values and make the govt look like they have a better set of books.

But it's causing havoc with Auckland house prices, and therefore wages will have to go up to meet rent costs, and more will rent. Their motorways are full to bursting at regular times of the day, with ever more cars on the road. This wastes human time.

Far better that we look at Labour's policy of capping net immigration at around the historical 25,000 per year, unless there is a very good reason to change that. We need to more fully employ the people we have here now. Preferably in the regions.

Legend

No, I don't need to, others will, more likely. I think the point I'm making is that we have to look behind the TV items and pro-National commentators to see what this government is really up to. They're keen on immigration, for several reasons, like its ability to keep wages down, and they're a big employer. It boosts property values, and most of their MPs have a piece of that. It makes the economy look good, and because the Crown has property, it boosts their asset values and make the govt look like they have a better set of books.

But it's causing havoc with Auckland house prices, and therefore wages will have to go up to meet rent costs, and more will rent. Their motorways are full to bursting at regular times of the day, with ever more cars on the road. This wastes human time.

Far better that we look at Labour's policy of capping net immigration at around the historical 25,000 per year, unless there is a very good reason to change that. We need to more fully employ the people we have here now. Preferably in the regions.
    That should cover chapters 8, 9, and 10.

Legend

That should cover chapters 8, 9, and 10.
    You must have a short attention span, FP. I've only written a few sentences. Have a look at the appeal court case transcript, that's wordy all right.

I've just taken on a new employee, who was commuting to Auckland for work every day. It added an extra three and a half hours to his day at least, and he hated that. Now he just has to cut across town to work, and I think the work here is more interesting and better paid. His efforts are now being spent manufacturing export goods, not on stuff that would sell to local investors, like new houses.

Advanced Member

He must be a Labour supporter - a National voter would have had the nous to get a job in Hamilton in the first place - or move to Hawkes Bay where the sun always shines on the worthy.

Legend

I've just taken on a new employee, who was commuting to Auckland for work every day. It added an extra three and a half hours to his day at least, and he hated that. Now he just has to cut across town to work, and I think the work here is more interesting and better paid. His efforts are now being spent manufacturing export goods, not on stuff that would sell to local investors, like new houses.
    That must be the least relevant post ever made. I certainly wouldn't put that in the book.

Legend

That must be the least relevant post ever made. I certainly wouldn't put that in the book.
    The job was only available because we'd bucked a nationwide trend and invested more than normal in R&D over a few years prior. Now we have reasonable export orders for niche products that have no useful competitors. I want to see a govt in place that understands what is required to get more businesses doing the same. It's relevant.

You might be here a bit harsh on EZ. I think what he wants to tell us is that his company flourishes thanks to the outstanding economic conditions created by the current government. His and many other companies are doing that well that they are able to employ additional people, further improving the economy.

He is basically asking us to help him to keep this great government in place to make sure that he is able to employ still more people under the next National government .
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    You might be here a bit harsh on EZ. I think what he wants to tell us is that his company flourishes thanks to the outstanding economic conditions created by the current government. His and many other companies are doing that well that they are able to employ additional people, further improving the economy.

He is basically asking us to help him to keep this great government in place to make sure that he is able to employ still more people under the next National government .
    And the economic stability he can see ahead with another National led Government after the elections this spring have given him comfort and security :-)