sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    EZ - ues big increase in turnout if under 35s .......but maybe as both Labour and National seem neither left or right (economically or culturally) the under 25s won't turn out in any greater numbers than before.

Here's an interesting article on how Labour UK (successfully) used social media to engage with the younger ones (which no doubt helped their cause)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...me-of-the-best

But I can't see Little fitting the mould of Absolute Boy or coming out and saying 'yes, I collect manhole covers'
    EZ - your mate (?) Bryce Edwards agrees with me

Nothing to excite the young enough to get them voting in November

Little not the man to do it ..nor is Bill but then Bill don't need the young vote

Sadly becoming even more certain Nats will win a 4th term .....by default
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    EZ - your mate (?) Bryce Edwards agrees with me

Nothing to excite the young enough to get them voting in November

Little not the man to do it ..nor is Bill but then Bill don't need the young vote

Sadly becoming even more certain Nats will win a 4th term .....by default
    Yes, I see what you mean, but the UK has a bigger population, more room for that kind of thing. Maybe the boffins at Labour HQ are thinking up some memes as we speak, but I doubt it. It would be up to Young Labour to do something in that line, to kick something off, although locally they appear to be "time poor". This could be a problem when it's time to put up the hoardings..

Don't write the Labour-Greens off, and in any case, does anyone know which side NZ First will back, given the balance of power? Their policies and all Winston's rhetoric say that he'd need to side with the centre left.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Their policies and all Winston's rhetoric say that he'd need to side with the centre left.
    And unfortunately in NZ the centre left happens to be National.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    And unfortunately in NZ the centre left happens to be National.
    Maybe from your point of view, not mine. Look a bit deeper and they're more right-wing than you think.

Speaking of Winston, he's holding the govt to task on trying to hold back a favourable report about a third dual rail line in Auckland, predictably not funded by this govt in the latest budget round.

Too awkward I guess. They had it redacted instead.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/politi...block-released

Legend

Yes, I see what you mean, but the UK has a bigger population, more room for that kind of thing. Maybe the boffins at Labour HQ are thinking up some memes as we speak, but I doubt it. It would be up to Young Labour to do something in that line, to kick something off, although locally they appear to be "time poor". This could be a problem when it's time to put up the hoardings..

Don't write the Labour-Greens off,
    Labour/Greens have already been written off by a large proportion of voters. Labour will not make any traction until they have a new leader. You know that - the whole Labour party knows that, but simply haven't done anything about it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Labour/Greens have already been written off by a large proportion of voters. Labour will not make any traction until they have a new leader. You know that - the whole Labour party knows that, but simply haven't done anything about it.
    How do you know they won't make any traction, look at what happened in the UK, and who says Labour needs a new leader? Just all the crony National voters.

Isn't the election about more than the leaders? What about policy? And you could add to that, past history. You go ahead, vote again for National, that'll suit your interests. But you're voting for a govt that has borrowed to meet shortfalls for nine years, is now paying interest of over $3bill a year, so about 1 in every 20 tax dollars wasted on interest, they are doing nothing about climate change, haven't help build smart new export businesses and high value employers, have deliberately ramped house prices with recent record immigration.

They've had their chance, now they must go.

Legend

How do you know they won't make any traction, look at what happened in the UK, and who says Labour needs a new leader? Just all the crony National voters.
    History tells the story. No party ever wins with an unpopular leader. Even your Labour cronies will tell you that.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    History tells the story. No party ever wins with an unpopular leader. Even your Labour cronies will tell you that.
    But the left bloc could easily win, FP. UMR polling over 7-15 June shows a better picture for Labour-Greens.

https://yournz.org/2017/06/16/labour-poll-different/
    Last edited by elZorro; 17-06-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Don't write the Labour-Greens off, and in any case, does anyone know which side NZ First will back, given the balance of power? Their policies and all Winston's rhetoric say that he'd need to side with the centre left.
    Winston always talks with the largest party first ... and he will go with whoever is promising him a "Sir Winston" in the aftermath. Labour abolished this title once before, which would exclude them anyway - and the Greenies? You must be kidding. Can you imagine Winston working together with them? Really?

If history is a guide, than Winston's rhetoric is just to catch voters and has nothing to do with what he will do afterwards if in a position of power. Just look at his race card. Only used prior to elections.

This means unless Labour starts to listen instead of lecturing (but probably too late for this election) or the sky falls in we will either end up with a National / Act / United coalition or a National/ NZF coalition. I'd prefer the first option, but hey - we survived Winston enjoying the baubles of power before.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Dilettante

But the left bloc could easily win, FP. UMR polling over 7-15 June shows a better picture for Labour-Greens.

https://yournz.org/2017/06/16/labour-poll-different/
    Are you claiming NZF is part of a "left bloc" EZ ? Is that not stretching the truth a little and indicating some desperation on your part ?
    I also think you should be very careful to take any comfort from th suprisingly "good" result from UK Labour, even though they still lost. The UK is in a very different situation and facing very different challenges to NZ and their political situation is much more fragile as a result. I don´t think we have any political comparison between NZ and UK at the moment