sharetrader
Page 565 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 6546551555556156256356456556656756856957561566510651565 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    "Nicky Hager's book put a serious dent in public perception of National by the public, but as we saw, only for a couple of weeks".

There's a deliciously enjoyable picture on the Internet of Nicky Hager's book "Dirty Politics" at a desperate book sale where DPs is reduced from $34.50 to $17.50.
    Nice. He only sold a few thou....

If there is a next book he'll be right into laws of diminishing returns and it will be even more of a disaster than DPs. Actually it turned out to benefit National and maybe we should implore "Dear Nicky, please write us another one just before the 2017 election". The great mass of the public, well over 80% regarded it as as a nasty left wing smear campaign that was probably nearly all untrue and if any of it was true it was greatly exaggerated. Funnily enough I never actually met anyone at the tennis club, or the various societies and associations I belong to who had actually read the thing!
    R.I.P. Nicky Hager. Luckily for him he has a great deal of inherited wealth so he doesn't have to work so he doesn't. Rosemary (Mcleod is it? the columnist in the Press etc) disputed that he was referred to as a journalist at all because none of her profession had ever seen or heard of him working as a journalist. As for the "investigative" it merely consisted of him receiving some stolen emails from DotCom and publishing them!

A modest suggestion to you EZ, it is way way past time that the Labour Party updated its name. The number of labouring jobs is minuscule, there are more farm labourers than any other type and they vote National anyway! Something modern and European and progressive like the Social Democrats and you could cut the union link at the same time as only a small minority belong to unionists and unions are regarded as something quaint and really antiquated from Charles Dickens times. A painless, costless move like that would do wonders for yor image and credibility!
    Major

If John Key were to ask your advice on economic policy initiatives/enhancements over the next 3 years what would the priorities be, now that they have been given all the political capital any government would want. The only signal so far is to reintroduce the industrial relations amendment bill.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    JT, I have seen the mock battles the McGillicuddys ran at Waikato University from the late 70s. Back then Graeme Cairns was a slightly weird student. Very clever though.

MVT and FP, here is an article by Nicky Hager, that reminds us who National are in bed with.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-t...-across-Tasman

The National Party have recently admitted they are continuing to use the services of Crosby/Textor. A hollow victory indeed.
    So using Crosby Textor made all the difference then. Clever move if you want to win an election.

Other parties need to employ PR people who are just as clever to create a better perception of themselves in the eyes of the electorate.

Maybe Crosby Textor are aligned with the Neolibs. No doubt Nats are on that bandwagon as well, esp if you consider my definition of what Neo-liberalism is - "not an ideology but just a bunch of powerful people doing things in their own self interest.”

John is probably doing well in the eyes of his mates in the USA. They will be pleased with his progress, esp he manages to progress the TTPA by convincing some of our friends it is good for the world.

I'm not as distraught as you are at the Nats winning by such a margin (by default). Not a good outcome but the opposition parties stuffed up badly. You, me and others need to live with the consequences until we can right things somehow
    Last edited by winner69; 22-09-2014 at 08:04 PM.

The Wolf of Sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    You, me and others need to live with the consequences until we can right things somehow
    Pun intended Winner?

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing View Post
    Pun intended Winner?
    My mate Billy Bragg will shoot me for even mentioning the right

It did cheer me up on Sunday putting his CDs on full blast.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    My mate Billy Bragg will shoot me for even mentioning the right

It did cheer me up on Sunday putting his CDs on full blast.
    I'll have to get some of those CDs, W69.

The issue with employing PR people who are as "good" as Crosby/Textor is that they would have to be as underhand and despicable? And that's not Labour as I know it. My hope is that we can shame National into dropping Crosby/Textor, well before 2017.

Have a look at this graph, see the slippage for Labour from the 2005 election onwards, something I call the C/T effect. Note that National recovered nearly 20% of the party vote between 2002 and 2005, Brash's desperate use of C/T very nearly worked over a 10 month period. No wonder John Key was quick to sign them up again.

It also means that with good strategists and a bit of luck, Labour's position is not irrecoverable by 2017.
    Last edited by elZorro; 22-09-2014 at 09:22 PM.

EZ
    I seems John Key has announced there will be a referendum next year on changing the NZ Flag. What an astonishing waste of tax payers money, considering it could have conducted with the General election

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    EZ
    It seems John Key has announced there will be a referendum next year on changing the NZ Flag. What an astonishing waste of tax payers money, considering it could have been conducted with the General election
    Not at all, Sgt Pepper. Now John Key will be able to say that he has done something we'll remember him for. He's thought about changing the NZ flag.

That'll probably fix some of the poor metrics National has created, if we can just get a new flag.

EZ - John got his well done call, and no doubt the keep up the good work John message.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11329574
    Last edited by winner69; 23-09-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'll have to get some of those CDs, W69.

Just go to Spotify

Legend

Another thing I've realised from the graphs above: when an outfit like C/T starts working for a party long term, you get a concentrated ongoing onslaught on the main opposition, and in NZ that was directed at Labour for the most part, with sideswipes at the Greens. It has also meant that since about 2005, the party vote has been heavily tied to the big four: National, Labour, Greens, NZ First. Over 90% of us vote there. Previous to that, we put another 10% of our votes into a range of smaller parties.

Eager to see their faces and names in the press, we now have a whole lot of people saying variously that National is the true way, or that the Labour party needs to find out what went wrong, fast. People like Josie Pagani (ex Labour candidate) and Federated Farmers' Bruce "That stream isn't polluted, I survived after putting my hand in it" Wills.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay...ectid=11329372

Mr Wills fails to mention that dairy farming is on the cusp of another lowered payout, that while their share of exports is up, it's mainly because general manufacturing has been clobbered by National policies. Farming doesn't soak up all the unemployed. Farming also appears to deliver little in the way of taxes for central government. Even the GST dairy farmers get paid by Fonterra to send through to govt, is promptly reclaimed by Fonterra, a farmer cooperative/union, as their goods are almost all exported.

More froth to confuse us, I'm afraid. Labour was smashed down - yet again - by the Crosby/Textor juggernaut. Wake up NZ.

p.s. It is with dismay that I see all of Belgarion's posts are gone, and this thread has now been attributed to Hoop, as he made the first reply. I'll miss your sparkling wit, Belgarion.
    Last edited by elZorro; 23-09-2014 at 06:38 AM.