sharetrader
    Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You are assuming all members voted. As I said, it was 62% of those that voted in the Labour leadership election !!
    On a different note, a school friend of my wife's is a UK Labour MP. On a recent visit to the UK, she told us about some of the intimidation and threats many Labour MPs that do not support Corbin, have been subjected to, even at their homes. It is quite shocking to hear and shows bullying tactics way beyond what I ever imagined. It is a failed party under his leadership
    We're quibbling here, of course! but I'd find it hard to imagine anyone keen enough on a particular political party to become a member, not to go to the trouble of voting on such an important issue as its leadership!

Incidentally, I agree, UK Labour needs a new leader - for a start!
    Last edited by macduffy; 26-09-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    We're quibbling here, of course! but I'd find it hard to imagine anyone keen enough on a particular political party to become a member, not to go to the trouble of voting on such an important issue as its leadership!

Incidentally, I agree, UK Labour needs a new leader - for a start!
    Corbyn received 62% 0f the votes cast in the leadership election. A fairly convincing victory. The other 38 % went to his opponent. To say only 62% of the Labour membership voted is typical of the misinformation being spread around by those worried of a move to the left by Labour both in NZ and the UK.
    The NZ Labour party should take note and forget about centre left whatever that means and start producing policies that will attract the average person. A stop to the continual rundown in Government services instituted by National would be a good start.
    As with Corbyn the neo right will use any opportunity to attack the dreaded thought of a revival of the left.

westerly

Veteran novice

I don't think that anyone said or implied that "only 62% of the Labour membership voted". Clearly, 62% of those who voted supported Corbyn. The concern, if any, would be whether those members reflected the preference of the majority of Labour supporters - as distinct from Labour members. Not that we will know until the next election, of course.

Legend

Radio interview with Bill English on his views about the economy, and when you listen to his examples, he's talking about the landed gentry, farmers, and is conscious of the ex-farmers who have cashed up and are trying to earn an income from money in the bank. Bill, this is a tiny fraction of the population, what about everyone else?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/economy/ne...September+2016

Legend

Latest Roy Morgan poll: Labour gets well over the 30% threshold, and NZFirst would have the balance of power. Winston's not keen on National at the moment, hasn't been for a while.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/69...6-201609271642

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Latest Roy Morgan poll: Labour gets well over the 30% threshold, and NZFirst would have the balance of power. Winston's not keen on National at the moment, hasn't been for a while.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/69...6-201609271642
    You'll occasionally get the odd rogue poll.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You'll occasionally get the odd rogue poll.
    Yes, FP, I'm sure that's what happened here. Labour will never get back in, they'll have to sack Little first and restart with a different leader yet again, the Greens will overtake them in the polls and be the second biggest party.

In any case, this Key govt is doing such a good job with the economy, as we saw on the Nigel Latta "The hard stuff" program last night. Nigel was banging on about hi-tech and niche businesses, the natural conclusion for NZ's future prosperity, but failed to mention how National killed the R&D tax credits that were accessible to thousands of SMEs, for just one year, after being installed by Labour. That's helped put NZ behind all of our peers in terms of R&D and the follow-on results. As Bill English is so clearly showing, it's not about SMEs or the average workers looking for jobs and reasonably priced houses. This govt is looking after those who are already at the top.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Yes, FP, I'm sure that's what happened here. Labour will never get back in, they'll have to sack Little first and restart with a different leader yet again, the Greens will overtake them in the polls and be the second biggest party.
    Partly correct. They certainly will have to drop Little first. They still remain the largest opposition party. NZ First will die with Winston. The Greens are not mainstream enough, and Labour are staring at their 4th consecutive election defeat. One day they might get back in, or morph into a new party. Neither will happen until they replace Little.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Partly correct. They certainly will have to drop Little first. They still remain the largest opposition party. NZ First will die with Winston. The Greens are not mainstream enough, and Labour are staring at their 4th consecutive election defeat. One day they might get back in, or morph into a new party. Neither will happen until they replace Little.
    Does anything in this article look familiar?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-3...iction/6054586

John Key's government has been so banal with policy in general, that there is nothing much to see in the wake of 8 years in office. They've done this to ensure they stay in power. Labour has listened perhaps too hard to external voices and social media - still do. Those of us with a bit more background want to see a statesperson emerge from the political rabble. Given time, it could be Andrew Little. The job certainly needs a principled person. So that's not John Key, is it?

Advanced Member

Most of the country disagrees with you. The Labour Party haven't produced a leader of JK's stature in living memory. If by chance you scrape enough dissident strays together to form a government, the Winston Peter will probably be the Pied Piper and he will lead all your rubbish over the cliff. But he is a straw man, so one match and he's gone too.