sharetrader
Page 590 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 9049054058058658758858959059159259359460064069010901590 ... LastLast
Results 5,891 to 5,900 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Heaps. It is not only fair, but produces great results. I think there are about 20 countries now who have moved to a flat tax. Google will tell you plenty.
    Google did indeed give me a list of countries with flat tax, which ones do you see as being comparable to NZ?

Abkhazia
    Albania
    Andorra
    Anguilla
    Belarus
    Belize
    Bolivia
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bulgaria
    East Timor
    Estonia
    Georgia
    Greenland
    Grenada
    Guernsey
    Guyana
    Hungary
    Jamaica
    Jersey
    Kazakhstan
    Kyrgyzstan
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Macedonia
    Madagascar
    Mauritius
    Mongolia
    Montenegro
    Nagorno-Karabakh
    Poland
    Romania
    Russia
    Saint Helena
    Saudi Arabia
    Serbia
    Seychelles
    South Ossetia
    Transnistria
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Turkmenistan
    Tuvalu
    Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    There has been a lot of research done in this area over the years which I've read but can't highlight any reports of the top of my head perhaps a goggle search will reveal them but aside from that its common sense that if the tax rate is fair most people don't feel the need to avoid paying it.
    Don't be lazy. I try and substantiate my point of view. Substantiate yours. Find me one report.

And don't come up with the old chestnut "I don't have time". If you don't have time to properly engage in the debate, don't bother commenting at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Banksie View Post
    Don't be lazy. I try and substantiate my point of view. Substantiate yours. Find me one report.

And don't come up with the old chestnut "I don't have time". If you don't have time to properly engage in the debate, don't bother commenting at all.
    Goggle Cato Institute they have a report titled The Global Flat Tax Revolution, I'll find more when I have time but must go to work now so I can pay more tax.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Goggle Cato Institute they have a report titled The Global Flat Tax Revolution, I'll find more when I have time but must go to work now so I can pay more tax.
    Lol - fair enough.

I think you will find that many of the countries that have a supposedly low flat tax rate actually have a total tax burden similar or greater than ours.

Advanced Member

Just for the record, a few facts for the left. John Key discussed the flag issue with Leighton Smith the other morning. He made the point that a National flag is an important image in the world and our current flag is not easily distinguished from the Australian flag and has very little that is distinctly NZ. He stated that IF the matter was on the table, there would first be an effort to decide which of the alternative designs most people preferred and then a referendum on whether to retain the existing design or replace it with the most favoured alternative. That referendum might possibly run with the next general election at greatly reduced cost.

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Just for the record, a few facts for the left. John Key discussed the flag issue with Leighton Smith the other morning. He made the point that a National flag is an important image in the world and our current flag is not easily distinguished from the Australian flag and has very little that is distinctly NZ. He stated that IF the matter was on the table, there would first be an effort to decide which of the alternative designs most people preferred and then a referendum on whether to retain the existing design or replace it with the most favoured alternative. That referendum might possibly run with the next general election at greatly reduced cost.
    Sounds sensible. There has been a lot of teeth gnashing over the cost, which hasn't even been presented yet.

Interesting article in the Herald by Peter Lyons. Sums up nicely why a CGT will happen at some stage and why the present status quo and Nationals steady as you go will not last for long

"This election was a vote for the status quo. That is understandable given the apparent benign economic situation at present. But there is something wrong in a system where those with wealth can gain just through the appreciate of the assets they own. Those who earn a living and come from less affluent or privileged backgrounds continue to pay taxes on often meagre incomes. It is not a question of just doling out money to the poor. It is about a tax system that doesn't discriminate between those who earn an income from their labour as opposed to those who enjoy capital gains from owning assets.
    It is about ensuring that the redistributive function of a government is effective and fair on both the taxation and spending sides. It is not about rewarding star teachers but ensuring all children have access to quality teachers.
    The electorate has spoken and it has gone for the status quo. Middle New Zealand prefers the security of the known. We are becoming a polarised society. The resentment and desperation that this breeds is real as are the outcomes. We are a small community living on a few isolated islands. We often think that overseas experts and ideologies have the solutions. The reality is that we need to work it out for ourselves. We are failing to do so. "

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Banksie View Post
    Google did indeed give me a list of countries with flat tax, which ones do you see as being comparable to NZ?

Abkhazia
    Albania
    Andorra
    Anguilla
    Belarus
    Belize
    Bolivia
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bulgaria
    East Timor
    Estonia
    Georgia
    Greenland
    Grenada
    Guernsey
    Guyana
    Hungary
    Jamaica
    Jersey
    Kazakhstan
    Kyrgyzstan
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Macedonia
    Madagascar
    Mauritius
    Mongolia
    Montenegro
    Nagorno-Karabakh
    Poland
    Romania
    Russia
    Saint Helena
    Saudi Arabia
    Serbia
    Seychelles
    South Ossetia
    Transnistria
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Turkmenistan
    Tuvalu
    Ukraine
    I don't think any are as they don't have a WFF scheme for targeted redistribution like we do.

Legend

BC et al, I have had a look at the interview with John Campbell from the other night. I thought DC handled himself really well. Without going into specifics, it looks to me like he has a good handle on the things that went a bit haywire with the campaign. He's quite right, I don't think there is anyone as match fit as he is, to lead us into the next election process.

This is a battle, no doubt about it. Fair vs unfair, taxed vs untaxed, asset light vs asset heavy. Innovation vs. stagnation. Employment vs unemployment. Green vs unsustainable.

OK, maybe Labour and the Greens don't have all the answers. But at least they'd be heading down the right road to find them.

Back to the Pike River disaster, proof that they didn't look after their staff.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/bett...-of-everything

We have to learn from our mistakes. They must not be repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I don't think there is anyone as match fit as he is, to lead us into the next election process.
    I think your right there EZ. And that"s a tragedy for the Labour party as DC has'nt a hope in hell of getting the centrist swing voters to like him.