sharetrader
Page 672 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 1725726226626686696706716726736746756766827227721172 ... LastLast
Results 6,711 to 6,720 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I agree with you on all points except the first, W69. Are you sure the HNZ policy was mentioned? Here's something from the completely balanced website "The Standard" which implies that it wasn't mentioned. National had been rejigging control of the housing estate behind the scenes, getting ready.

http://thestandard.org.nz/the-exciti...state-housing/
    EZ I must be too close to some insider acquaintances of mine. Didn't really follow what was said during the campaign but this HNZ carry on was signed and sealed sometime ago. It goes beyond just 2,000 house as well

The last paragraph of that article is brillant - "This particular policy shows the Government’s current modus operandi. They have learned that they should not say what they think. They should instead do what they always do, and try to weaken the collective, while at the same time talk as if they care about the problem."

They will get their comeuppance just like the Liberals did last night in Queensland

Emerson has it sussed EZ .... from The Herald
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legend

I wish I could pen a cartoon like Emerson. Magic.

Landslide to the Labour Party in Queensland, surely a sign, W69.

If National 'spin on' 20,000 state houses, this is about $5bill of loans that will be taken out with Australian banks mostly, surely a win for them. Labour would never have a policy like this, of course -assuming Roger Douglas or anyone looking like him, is shown the door. But if they did, they'd at least have ensured that Kiwibank (or NZ domiciled banks) were the only lenders.

This asset sale is just horrendous.

Ha! Ha! Ha! How ironic.

Last year or so when I pointed out what a caning Labour were getting in Australia EZ wasn't interested, no comment or it wasn't relevant to NZ!

Now suddenly it is relevant! Why the change EZ?

Queensland isn't natural Labour country, the standard of housing is very good and the standard of living, unemployment is higher than it used to be but old smokestack and extraction industries are dying and so also are unions.

Contrary to media perception it's not a landslide, it's a hung Parliament at the mo, Labour have 43 seats and need 2 more out of the 5 which could go either way. Hardly a landslide, more like a guarantee that Labour will be rapidly out on their ear next time.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    FP
    Do you believe a severe market correction would have serious consequences for the wider economy? Is there anything the Reserve Bank could, or should, do?
    I'm not sure what banks really think. They lend like there's no tomorrow at times. Farms have collapsed at times through bank lending being too liberal. Motels suffered when the DFC were throwing money at them. Houses will drop alright but in real terms, probably not nominal, and if I'm right there won't be too much burning flesh to smell. That's happened a couple of times in my lifetime but nobody really notices. Most people think in nominal terms when it comes to housing. Could the reserve bank do anything? Yes. Stay out of it. Anything they do will achieve the opposite to the intent.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 01-02-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Ha! Ha! Ha! How ironic.

Last year or so when I pointed out what a caning Labour were getting in Australia EZ wasn't interested, no comment or it wasn't relevant to NZ!

Now suddenly it is relevant! Why the change EZ?

Queensland isn't natural Labour country, the standard of housing is very good and the standard of living, unemployment is higher than it used to be but old smokestack and extraction industries are dying and so also are unions.

Contrary to media perception it's not a landslide, it's a hung Parliament at the mo, Labour have 43 seats and need 2 more out of the 5 which could go either way. Hardly a landslide, more like a guarantee that Labour will be rapidly out on their ear next time.
    Yes, perhaps I do a bit of filtering, MVT. You have to, the way the press is run. Anyway, even NZResources is starting to be polite regarding Andrew Little.

2/2/2015 — Economics, Politics and Government
    New poll positive for Labour leader

A new public poll shows that Labour leader Andrew Little was making more inroads than his recent predecessors achieved in the popularity stakes.
    Radio New Zealand said yesterday that the 3News-Reid Research poll showed 55% of voters polled thought Little was potentially a better match for Prime Minister John Key than previous leaders.
    Little told Radio NZ it was always nice to get positive poll results but for every good poll, there was a bad one. He was focussed on what he needed to do to make Labour a winning proposition in 2015.
    The NZ Labour Party will be talking to its counterpart in Australia after its incredible comeback in the Queensland state elections.
    The Australian Labor Party was in with a chance to claim up to 45 of the 89 seats in the State's parliament, after going into the poll holding only nine seats.
    It is a major blow for Queensland's ruling Liberal National Party, and a reflection of the unpopularity of the country's Prime Minister Tony Abbott, though he yesterday claimed the Queensland election was fought on State issues – though few commentators would agree after his unpopular decision in re-establishing knighthoods and giving one of the two bestowed to Prince Phillip – a non-Australian.
    *Source: radionz.co.nz and skynews.com.au
    Bernard Hickey on housing issues.

http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/73...ggests-mr-key-
    Last edited by elZorro; 02-02-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Well, I don't hold any candle for Tony Abbott (he's an RC and I'm a Protestant after all ;-) ). Apparently he wrecked it for Denis Napthine in the Victorian election and now Campbell Newman in Queensland and the NSW election is coming up so I would be surprised if he isn't dumped by March.

But back to NZ. Last weekend I was at a family wedding in Auckland. One of my English brothers -in-law approached me. Tell me about John Key, he said, he's supposed to be a bit of a phenomenon.
    Well he is really, I said.
    He was brought up by a solo mother who was a Jewish Austrian refugee from WW2, in a state house (council house). He put himself through Varsity, worked in finance in NZ for a while then went overseas and joined a large internation firm where he worked in the foreign currency trading department and made a personal fortune of over $50 million ($s NZ).
    Then he decided he would like to come back to NZ and become PM. In a year he was in Parliament, in 3 years he was leader of his Party. He won the next election. He won the next election by more and the next election by even more than that and in the last poll his Party had over 50%. The most telling poll for me was one where they asked NZers who they would most like to have lunch with? Over 75% said John Key!

Well a new poll has just come out (yes Andrew Little and Labour are doing a bit better - at the expense of Greens and other 3rd parties) and National is on 49.8%.
    But the most compelling statistic, to me, is that 81% of those polled said they regarded John Key as a capable manager!
    Beat that! It very probably means that most Labour supporters regard JK as a capable manager.

Legend

Well, I don't hold any candle for Tony Abbott (he's an RC and I'm a Protestant after all ;-) ). Apparently he wrecked it for Denis Napthine in the Victorian election and now Campbell Newman in Queensland and the NSW election is coming up so I would be surprised if he isn't dumped by March.

But back to NZ. Last weekend I was at a family wedding in Auckland. One of my English brothers -in-law approached me. Tell me about John Key, he said, he's supposed to be a bit of a phenomenon.
    He was brought up by a solo mother who was a Jewish Austrian refugee from WW2, in a state house (council house). He put himself through Varsity, worked in finance in NZ for a while then went overseas and joined a large internation firm where he worked in the foreign currency trading department and made a personal fortune of over $50 million ($s NZ).
    Then he decided he would like to come back to NZ and become PM. In a year he was in Parliament, in 3 years he was leader of his Party. He won the next election. He won the next election by more and the next election by even more than that and in the last poll his Party had over 50%. The most telling poll for me was one where they asked NZers who they would most like to have lunch with? Over 75% said John Key!

Well a new poll has just come out (yes Andrew Little and Labour are doing a bit better - at the expense of Greens and other 3rd parties) and National is on 49.8%.
    But the most compelling statistic, to me, is that 81% of those polled said they regarded John Key as a capable manager!
    Beat that! It very probably means that most Labour supporters regard JK as a capable manager.
    And all they can say about Andrew Little is he's better than the last three, which isn't saying a hell of a lot really.

Major
    Hopefully your professed dislike of Tony Abbot is not really the fact that he is Roman Catholic,
    I see that notorious hotbed of Leftist propaganda, the National Business Review, has caught out John Key, AGAIN being economical with the truth. NBR is adamant JK knew about Mike Sabins problem in April last year. JK asserts he knew nothing prior to the election. I presume NBR have proof. So John key, once again, is digging himself into an enormous hole. Honestly Major, you should be mindful that your continual support of John Key is depriving some poor village of its idiot.

Perhaps we should remind ourselves of past events

a selection from a very long list

1. the notorious Tranz Rail shares issue
    2. Sky City deal
    3. undermining Bill English when he was leader
    4 Ian Fletchers appointment
    5. Promised no increase in GST
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 02-02-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Legend

Sgt Pepper, you are not going to get any comments on posts like that! What would be more interesting, is if you spilled the beans on what the Sabin thing is all about. I have not had time to research it on google...or NBR (anyway I don't have a paid subscription to it.) Should I?