sharetrader

I see that no government minister or MPs would meet with the delegation from Hong Kong. Of course denials in Parliament today that any pressure was exerted from any external source.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Im hearing that Key has had enough too and that he will leave after the next election; win or lose.
    It's getting to being too late for Mister Key to step aside before the 2017 election. I think that he'd rather like to win four elections on the trot. One up on all but one Prime Minister.

But I think that he'd really dislike losing one. And that if he thought that he'd lose, he'd "step aside before the election to let new talent come through"

So if he's leading National into the 2017 election, I think it's a sign that he is has confidence in a National victory.

A practical prediction, based on the practical judgement of a practical politician.
    Last edited by GTM 3442; 21-10-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Unmangle the prepositions.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    It's getting to being too late for Mister Key to step aside before the 2017 election. I think that he'd rather like to win four elections on the trot. One up on all but one Prime Minister.

But I think that he'd really dislike losing one. And that if he thought that he'd lose, he'd "step aside before the election to let new talent come through"

So if he's leading National into the 2017 election, I think it's a sign that he is has confidence in a National victory.

A practical prediction, based on the practical judgement of a practical politician.
    Sure..meanwhile Andrew Little is looking more and more like a Prime Minister in waiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p05hUsPfZjQ

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post

Isn't his future guided by his 'mentors' in the US
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Sure..meanwhile Andrew Little is looking more and more like a Prime Minister in waiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p05hUsPfZjQ
    Obviously these things are subjective. In your case it's wishful thinking. To most I am quite sure he doesn't look like a P.M in waiting, and he sure as hell doesn't sound like one.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Sure..meanwhile Andrew Little is looking more and more like a Prime Minister in waiting....
    Not sure I would say 'more and more', but perhaps 'a bit more'. In any case, he has a decent shot at getting to be PM in 2017. The election is not a done deal by any means and a few missteps on one side but none on the other could make a difference.
    Last edited by artemis; 29-10-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Not sure I would say 'more and more', but perhaps 'a bit more'. In any case, he has a decent shot at getting to be PM in 1017. The election is not a done deal by any means and a few missteps on one side but none on the other could make a difference.
    Whoever becomes P.M.in 2017 will depend on Winston First. I can't imagine Peters bothering with the Labour/Green mob.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Whoever becomes P.M.in 2017 will depend on Winston First. I can't imagine Peters bothering with the Labour/Green mob.
    I guess it may depend on how willing National are to agree to Winstons demands. We recall Bill English's observations in 2008 that despite being opposed to Working for Families and wishing to sell Kiwibank he would have to compromise and "swallow a few dead rats" to attain power. It remains to be seen if his appetite for dead rats will be as intense in 2017. For one thing we can be sure, Winstons dead rats will be numerous and large.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Isn't his future guided by his 'mentors' in the US
    No,winner, I don't think it is.

I think that he's guided by personal ambition. I don't think that he'd be willing to lead National into an election which he thought he would lose.

As for his party, well since the demise of mass membership and mass participation, I'm inclined to think that it's the party which will "follow the money".

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Not sure I would say 'more and more', but perhaps 'a bit more'. In any case, he has a decent shot at getting to be PM in 2017. The election is not a done deal by any means and a few missteps on one side but none on the other could make a difference.
    Point taken, Andrew still has some way to go, but he's warming up.

Talk about missteps:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...de-women-blurt
    Last edited by elZorro; 28-10-2016 at 10:42 PM.