sharetrader

I would just like to add some of the rhetoric on this thread is getting quite nasty and ridiculous.
    Remember there is actually someone real on the other side of a handle.
    More and more I see a personal jibe, before launching into some vitriolic response.
    The other repeated bad behavior is taking the extreme of what someone is suggesting and basing the argument around that.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Or unless we get a panda in exchange. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    We won't extradite people to China unless they meet the condition that they wouldn't be subjected to either torture or the death penalty," he said

Awwh, Johh Key, what an old softy
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I would just like to add some of the rhetoric on this thread is getting quite nasty and ridiculous.
    Remember there is actually someone real on the other side of a handle.
    More and more I see a personal jibe, before launching into some vitriolic response.
    The other repeated bad behavior is taking the extreme of what someone is suggesting and basing the argument around that.

Getting hot in the kitchen ,is it? If you want to talk politics, as this thread is for, then expect people not to agree with you. The vitriol is not all one way.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    It should be nil. They are not liable for NZ tax.
    Tell me how I can earn income in NZ and pay no tax?

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Tell me how I can earn income in NZ and pay no tax?

westerly
    Don't declare your earnings is the most common way.

Says it all really,

3. Why should I invest in a New Zealand trust?

To keep your assets private and confidential
    To facilitate wealth accumulation
    To protect yourself against lawsuits
    To legally minimise taxation
    To place a barrier between you and government
    To protect assets in the event of a family disruption
    To leave an inheritance to your children's children
    To create financial freedom

I can see why the wealthy like trusts. But then I am just green with envy.

westerly

Nope that's not it at all and I wasn't referring to anything directed at me.
    I didn't say it was all one way either, so you are jumping to conclusions.
    Of course people wont agree, that's quite apparent, but that doesn't mean they have to get personal or nasty about it.
    I'm not saying I haven't done the same in the past either.
    It was simply a message to perhaps tone down some of the personal jibes & attacks as it doesn't add anything to the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Getting hot in the kitchen ,is it? If you want to talk politics, as this thread is for, then expect people not to agree with you. The vitriol is not all one way.

Hardly a flight of fancy or extreme, as this sort of thing is a real issue. People think they can decide individually how their tax dollars can be used, rather than like the rest of society that pays into the government coffers for them to allocate. You mightn't like it but that's the system & if you don't like how they spend it, vote them out.

Is there a cap on charitable donations for tax deductability? If not there should be.
    I would like to see all charitable donations removed from being tax deductible.
    I don't think people generally donate to charity because of its tax deductible.
    And with the additional revenue the government saves, they could set up a fund where charities can apply for grants etc.

[QUOTE=jonu;616743]
    Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Jonu, I asked you a straightforward question, you didn't answer it. On what planet is it OK for most to have to obey the 'rules', but for wealthy others to completely bypass them? Planet Key? Where is that video when I need it!

Is this the kind of thing you're keen on Jonu? Go for it. Look at the left-hand-side PDF.

http://designertrust.com/

I didn't see I had anything to answer El Z as you were off on one of you flights of fancy and proposing scenarios that I hadn't suggested.

I see this "Designer Asset Protection" web page has been in operation since 2005. Guess the previous lot didn't seem too bothered either. And am I keen on it. No, and never suggested I was. Do you take milk in your tea?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Says it all really,

3. Why should I invest in a New Zealand trust?

To keep your assets private and confidential
    To facilitate wealth accumulation
    To protect yourself against lawsuits
    To legally minimise taxation
    To place a barrier between you and government
    To protect assets in the event of a family disruption
    To leave an inheritance to your children's children
    To create financial freedom

I can see why the wealthy like trusts. But then I am just green with envy.

westerly
    The same applies - wealthy or not. Some people have a need for a trust, although there's a hell of a lot of people who have set up trusts which more often than not is no use, but have been advised to by an accountant or lawyer. One real advantage is they are stronger than a will but I'm damn sure I wouldn't have one.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Hardly a flight of fancy or extreme, as this sort of thing is a real issue. People think they can decide individually how their tax dollars can be used, rather than like the rest of society that pays into the government coffers for them to allocate. You mightn't like it but that's the system & if you don't like how they spend it, vote them out.

Is there a cap on charitable donations for tax deductability? If not there should be.
    I would like to see all charitable donations removed from being tax deductible.
    I don't think people generally donate to charity because of its tax deductible.
    And with the additional revenue the government saves, they could set up a fund where charities can apply for grants etc.
    I don't think that's the real issue, Daytr. If someone wants to donate $10,00 of their income to a cause, partly just to claim back their average tax rate, that's got to be OK. It's the people who don't pay their hundreds of thousands, or millions in tax, naturally due to the NZ govt, by using low tax vehicles, and then donate a portion of that in splendiferous ways to visible charities, that upset me. Maybe a cap on normal tax-deductible donations within the lifetime of the donor would be sensible. I'm conscious that Labour received a large estate gifting a few years back. We don't get many.

Bryan Gould on the Niue deal.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11625546
    Last edited by elZorro; 20-04-2016 at 08:33 PM.