sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    The latest Roy Morgan Poll shows that National's support is dropping, while the Labour-Green coalition concept is gaining votes. L-G are now within 0.5% of National, meaning NZ First has the balance of power.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/68...6-201606201622

It'll be even more interesting when the Labour-Greens overtake National in the polls, surely can't be long now, hey FP?
    I agree if looking at combined vote. As I have said often the next govt. will depend on who offers Winston the biggest, brightest or most baubles. Neither Labour or Greens have got a leader capable of PM role - and that's what Winnie wants.
    Mind you, I thought the last election would produce a National - Winston first coalition.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Of course it's opinionm but follow some of the urls in the article referring to studies. e.g. http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/...ction_2_en.pdf

And a few of the others.

The whole point is that CGT is not an open and shut case of just implementing a tax and seeing no negative consequences, wnich is why I hold the view that it needs to be well thought through, comprehensive and with a repatriation clause.
    I agree that if a CGT is introduced, it should be a comprehensive one. It should include a CGT on the family home.

However at the same time as this new tax introduction there should be tax cuts and changes. Instead of council rates there should be a council income tax (a couple of percecentage points on the existing tax rates?). There should be a tax free income tax threshhold for incomes up to about $15,000 and/or a GST tax cut and/or tax-free inflation allowance for investment income. A deduction against taxable income for those who pay rent (or mortgage interest) for accommodation should be considered to balance out mortgage-free home owners non-taxed benefit of occupancy.

However the vested interest of owner-occupiers would mean it would be politically devastating for a party to suggest a comprehensive CGT and radical tax over-haul.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I agree that if a CGT is introduced, it should be a comprehensive one. It should include a CGT on the family home.

However at the same time as this new tax introduction there should be tax cuts and changes. Instead of council rates there should be a council income tax (a couple of percecentage points on the existing tax rates?). There should be a tax free income tax threshhold for incomes up to about $15,000 and/or a GST tax cut and/or tax-free inflation allowance for investment income. A deduction against taxable income for those who pay rent (or mortgage interest) for accommodation should be considered to balance out mortgage-free home owners non-taxed benefit of occupancy.

However the vested interest of owner-occupiers would mean it would be politically devastating for a party to suggest a comprehensive CGT and radical tax over-haul.
    As would be taxing investment income at a different rate than any other income. Quite unworkable.

Guru

As would be taxing investment income at a different rate than any other income. Quite unworkable.
    Why would it be unworkable? I think different tax rates or rebates could fairly easily be applied to various levels of income from different sources. I also think an inflation adjustment for fixed interest investments would be relatively easy to implement compared to some existing requirements for investment income. The problems would be political.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-06-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Legend

Why would it be unworkable? I think different tax rates or rebates could fairly easily be applied to various levels of income from different sources. I also think an inflation adjustment for fixed interest investments would be relatively easy to implement compared to some existing requirements for investment income. The problems would be political.
    Are you suggesting a higher rate for investment income, or a lower rate? I have no other income, and haven't had for years. Have I paid too much tax or not enough?

Guru

Are you suggesting a higher rate for investment income, or a lower rate? I have no other income, and haven't had for years. Have I paid too much tax or not enough?
    I hope you are taking advantage of PIE tax rates.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    I hope you are taking advantage of PIE tax rates.
    I certainly am.

Guru

I certainly am.
    PIE income is one existing working example of taxing some investment income at a different rate than other income. So why couldn't any lower tax regime extend to other fixed investment income to make an allowance for inflation. I think currently the US and the UK for example have tax-advantaged financial investment schemes for individuals that are exempt from income tax and capital gains tax.

I think it would also be possible to introduce a rebate scheme for owner-occupier mortgage interest payments (I think NZ used to have such a scheme) and a rebate for rent payments to remove the tax advantage that mortgage-free owner-occupiers currently enjoy. That could be politically more feasible than assessing imputed rent.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-06-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Legend

PIE income is one existing working example of taxing some investment income at a different rate than other income. So why couldn't the lower tax regime extend to other fixed investment income to make an allowance for inflation. I think currently the US and the UK for example have tax-advantaged financial investment schemes exempt from income tax and capital gains tax.

I think it would also be possible to introduce a rebate scheme for first home owner-occupier mortgage interest payments (I think NZ used to have such a scheme) and a rebate for rent payments to remove the tax advantage that mortgage-free owner-occupiers currently enjoy. That could be politically more feasible than assessing imputed rent.

Bring it on. It's years since I was a residential landlord, but if rent payments were made tax deductible I'd be back in like a robbers dog. Remember subsidies never quite land where they are aimed at; landlords rather than tenants being the beneficiary of such a scheme.

Two complete U turns in one day, impressive, haven't seen this flexibility since
    Nadia Comaneci at the 1976 Olympics

10:19 pm on 29 April 2013"

Govt rules out fuel tax, road tolls for Auckland

21/06/2016
    It concludes that while ongoing investment in new road and public transport projects will clearly be needed, greater use of technology and in the longer term road pricing -- or directly charging for road use -- will also be part of the toolkit," Transport Minister Simon Bridges said
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 21-06-2016 at 05:49 PM.