sharetrader
    Advanced Member

It's about time Maori rights were balanced by Maori responsibilities. Most of the activists are struggling to make even 50% so maybe one half of their ancestors should be paying the other half. The fish stocks around the Kermadecs are preserved for Maori just as much as they are preserved for the rest of us. Now we have this rubbish about a block of land that was/is private land being used for housing and thy are up in arms because it is next door to a protected site. I live next door to a protected site - protected because someone claimed it was once a Pa site. Half the Kaumata that I know insist that the claim is rubbish and that the Pa was one hill over.

To be fair Iceman I have also seen comment in the media re commercial fishing rights / compensation.
    Commercial fishing quotas are reviewed and changed regularly so as long as they are given fair notice which may not be the case here, then that should be it. Whereas the rights of Maori are perpetual. I am sure this is more about the lack of consultation as that reinforces a very bad precedent and as Maori rightly say can they decide forever on behalf of future generations and that's why they have agreed to something like a 20 year term and right of review. Well if they had been consulted that is.
    However as per my original post, I think its perverse that the same government has been supportive of TTR which wants to undertake a very destructive seabed mining operation of Taranaki.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes that is probably a fair summary dobby41. Maori were compensated through the huge Sealord deal back in the 90s through which they received certain fishing rights, both of existing (at the time) quotas and future quotas. This is the same rights as other quota holders have. I know people who have a significant part of their business fishing around the Kermedecs , which is now at risk of destruction, hence my ponderings here as to why media only talks about Maori rights. It is also worth to remember that all the parties in Parliament voted for this when it went through and even today is supported by at least National, Labour and the Greens.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

The government had a near miss with the mishandling of the Kermadec Reserve. This disagreement is nothing compared to the yet to be resolved Freshwater interest negotiations. Is this the issue which will see this government become unstable and precipitate an early election. Quite possible in my opinion. What do others think?

I note a date is set next may for Enimen /National Party alleged copyright violation during the 2014 election. If it goes against National what sort of penalty could they be looking at?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    I note a date is set next may for Enimen /National Party alleged copyright violation during the 2014 election. If it goes against National what sort of penalty could they be looking at?
    Why? Should we start a collection? How much are you prepared to chip in?

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Why? Should we start a collection? How much are you prepared to chip in?
    Well National could resuscitate the 2014 Cabinet Club events in which for a mere $1000 you can meet a cabinet minister or if you are really lucky( or unlucky) John Key
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 20-09-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Well National could resuscitate the 2014 Cabinet Club events in which for a mere $1000 you can meet a cabinet minister or if you are really lucky( or unlucky) John Key
    Obviously helped them raise a few bob. It's a wonder Labour don't do the same with their big-wigs! Not.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Obviously helped them raise a few bob. It's a wonder Labour don't do the same with their big-wigs! Not.
    Labour's Phil Goff seems to have learnt a thing or two about fundraising. Sign of the times.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=11712664

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes that is probably a fair summary dobby41. Maori were compensated through the huge Sealord deal back in the 90s through which they received certain fishing rights, both of existing (at the time) quotas and future quotas. This is the same rights as other quota holders have. I know people who have a significant part of their business fishing around the Kermedecs , which is now at risk of destruction, hence my ponderings here as to why media only talks about Maori rights. It is also worth to remember that all the parties in Parliament voted for this when it went through and even today is supported by at least National, Labour and the Greens.
    I cannot have much sympathy for commercial fishermen maori or otherwise.
    Quotes from a report on Parliaments debate on illegal fish dumping -

{“An internal email written by MPI's director of fisheries management, and released as part of the report, stated, "fish dumping is so widespread that the current system is failing and officials have not been able to get on top of it from day one of the quota management system.
    "We estimate that if we found the golden bullet to stop discarding, we would probably put over half of the inshore fleet out of business overnight."}

Guy has said that view was a personal one and was not backed up by evidence. He would say that however.

“On Friday, the findings of a high-level inquiry into the decision not to prosecute commercial fishing boats which were caught on camera dumping tonnes of healthy fish in New Zealand waters were released.
    The inquiry, led by QC Michael Heron, said the MPI obstructed the prosecution process, that its decision process was "confused", and that it failed to follow up and "draw a clear line in the sand" with regard to fish dumping.
    Parker said the amount of illegal fish dumping happening in New Zealand waters was likely to be "enormous". The Heron report suggested "the ministry may have been captured by industry interests".

westerly