sharetrader

Confessed? I'm proud of what I achieved in my career. Holier than thou? Where do you get this stuff?
    Raised a Catholic perhaps?
    Do you know what I have done for NZ, or anywhere else for that matter?
    No, thought not.
    So your logic is that the bankers are worse so the fishing industry is ok?
    Great logic there.
    Bankers (some) have done appalling things.
    The fishing industry in NZ is squandering a valuable resource and isn't being policed by the MPI who may as well not exist for all the good they do.
    So the fishing industry isn't dumping large amounts of fish?
    And when I say the industry I include the MPI as well as they are allowing it to happen.
    Its a disgrace! I hope that is holy enough for you... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    DAYTR, for a confessed banker who was busy ripping off the World before the GFC, I find your holy-er than thou attitude with everything interesting. Your whole industry fell apart and most of you disappeared. Some into Northland. I will continue to defend my industry (fishing) against ill informed know it all people from the part of society you come from that say one thing and do another and have never done anything productive for NZ
    Last edited by Daytr; 04-10-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

And now the labour party are to resurrect the biggest joke in their past history, the BABY BONUS?

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

El Zorro 3/10:

"It's the brand dealers with retail stores who like to think they can import something, add no value to it in NZ, and resell it with a 100% markup or more, that have me perplexed. That's probably not tenable longer term."

How long is the long term? That's the standard New Zealand business model! Born of the lack of local manufacturing capacity, nourished by the disastrous import licensing regime.

History suggests that it is indeed tenable long term.

Advanced Member

Interesting to note that Baileys,CA can now boast that they have brought the manufacture of their denim fabric back to the US from China and are manufacturing their logger jeans and others in The USA. The price - comparable to The Warehouse for the genuine Chinese article. I wonder if it's time to apply for Statehood. At least we would have a flag that is recognisable. But then maybe we should wait to be sure that Winnie The Poo doesn't get elected.

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    And now the labour party are to resurrect the biggest joke in their past history, the BABY BONUS?
    And next resurrect STATE ADVANCES CORPORATION and allow families to capitalise the BABY BONUS to help them into a new home
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    And next resurrect STATE ADVANCES CORPORATION and allow families to capitalise the BABY BONUS to help them into a new home
    Yes, that policy worked, didn't it?

https://thestandard.org.nz/phil-twyf...ousing-crisis/

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Yes, that policy worked, didn't it?

https://thestandard.org.nz/phil-twyf...ousing-crisis/
    Like all subsidies, they never land where they are intended. Give everyone buying a property 10k, and guess what happens to the prices? The beneficiary will always be the vendor.

Advanced Member

The problem with housing is the levels of regulation here. There at massive charges just for walking into the council office. I have a three-bay implement shed on my property that I could frame up and line out for just a few grand and thus provide reasonable living for a family. It has three-phase power and could easily connect to water and sewage. But the council would have a hundred reasons why a family could not live there. A guy down the road built a three bedroom home inside his shed and it has been occupied for years. Sooner or later someone will lodge a complaint and another family will be out on the street. And the problem is not unique to NZ.A large article in the Herald detailed the affairs of car dwellers in the USA and my Irish news tells exactly the same story.
    Last edited by craic; 06-10-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: serendipity

Budding slum landlord ?

westerly

Advanced Member

The stone cottage I called home, with several others had four walls and one door and four small windows. That was two rooms created by the dividing wall and the door kept the chickens out. it didn't have electricity or water and the toilet was a hole out there somewhere. My shed would be a palace by comparison and I have managed to get to my eightieth year in cracking good health. The word slum and the word poverty are used in NZ as political slogans by people who have never understood either.