sharetrader
    Legend

Here are Labour's announced policies at the moment.

http://www.labour.org.nz/announced_policies

In particular, the policies relating to KiwiBuild and the dropping of penalties on provisional tax payments for businesses are very good (the latter policy has been released, but I didn't notice it in the press). Labour would also pay for half of a light rail system in part of Auckland, backing up Phil Goff's take on the scheme. These are all good, smart ideas that will make NZ a better place.

Labour and the Greens start looking at electoral deals:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...election-seats

Note that some Labour and Green Party faithful will be reluctant to go to this level, but we are decades behind National, who have done it for the Act party and others. And the big difference here is that neither party is giving up a seat that they could win by themselves, whereas National could have won Epsom if they wanted to. They truly gamed the system.
    Last edited by elZorro; 30-11-2016 at 07:38 AM.

Advanced Member

I am surprised at the number of Labour supporters who will not vote if the Greens are in the mix. They all have reasons related to Green policies that go against their interest in one area or another. Many are involved in farming or related.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    I am surprised at the number of Labour supporters who will not vote if the Greens are in the mix.
    I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I'm not.
    And looks like Mana electorate will finally have a National MP after 2017 election http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ll-rock-labour
    Last edited by RGR367; 30-11-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Advanced Member

Looks like there Is a growing need for a new left party to replace Labour. First requirement is a charismatic leader to appear. As both Trump and Key are spoken for, it looks as if we will have to settle for an overstayer.

Looks like there Is a growing need for a new left party to replace Labour. First requirement is a charismatic leader to appear. As both Trump and Key are spoken for, it looks as if we will have to settle for an overstayer.
    How about you Craic?

westerly

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    How about you Craic?

westerly
    I can see it now. A chainsaw crossed with an axe as an emblem to represent the working man, maybe overlaid on a shamrock to represent...hell I don't know. Even old Craic will have to figure out a way to appeal to the female vote however, we are after all post millenials. Maybe a shapely leg in killer heels across the saw instead of the axe. Hmm.. maybe too suggestive. I'm sure he'll come up with something equally inappropriate

David Farrar in twitterland -

@dpfdpf: Wow Labour 23% in Roy Morgan poll. If they drop 1% more then they get no List MPs and Andrew Luttle doesn't make it back to Parliament
    Last edited by winner69; 01-12-2016 at 01:00 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Must be another dodgy poll result

Gary Morgan, Executive Chairman, Roy Morgan Research, says:

“Support for National 49.5% (up 1.5%) has consolidated at nearly half the New Zealand electorate during November as a series of earthquakes struck central parts of New Zealand including the Capital Wellington and parts of the South Island towards Christchurch.

“However, any concerns about a recurrence of the disastrous 2011 Christchurch earthquake have certainly not negatively impacted support for the Government – now at its strongest lead since July. In contrast, the poor performance of Labour in November will be a concern for Opposition Leader Andrew Little heading into an election year with a figurative ‘mountain to climb’. Labour has plunged to support of only 23% (down 3.5%) – Labour’s lowest support since late 2014.

“In addition to the rise in National support both the ANZ-Roy Morgan New Zealand Consumer Confidence – now at 127.2 (up 4.3pts) and the New Zealand Roy Morgan Government Confidence Rating – now at 141 (up 14.5pts) are at their highest levels since early 2015.”

“ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

I am surprised at the number of Labour supporters who will not vote if the Greens are in the mix. They all have reasons related to Green policies that go against their interest in one area or another. Many are involved in farming or related.
    Craic, are you suggesting that a significant proportion of Labour supporters are farmers? That doesn't appear to be the case, they are far more likely to be diehard National/Act people. In addition, the Greens always do better in urban electorates, and will have a strong attempt in Nelson, mainly because they have been bequeathed substantial funds, as long as they are spent by the Green Party in the Nelson/Tasman area.

For decades, most or all rural electorates are taken by National, and it's in the urban or lifestyle areas that the battle for Labour/Green votes is most fruitful. Are some of these people in the "farming or related" category, yes they will be, and many will be looking hard at the economic and environmental results from National's policies over the years.