sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    No point in paying stupid money for a smart phone and not pretending you need it - hence it's a requirement to destroy what is remaining of the eyesight 'gritting your money's worth'. Original reply was from my phone, which explains ohone for phone.
    Well, you now have a good excuse for the occasional typo. Apparently you can read books on your phone with a suitable app, try reading Dirty Politics if you can get hold of it, and let us know if you have any new opinion on Judith Collins?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    EZ - you are accusing John Key of breaking a contract. Could you just clarify what contract (and which clause) you are talking about?

I am not aware of a contract saying that any candidate for public office is required to sit the job out to the glorious end. Whats more - if any such contract would exists, than I am wondering how the Labour party (who asks government politicians regularly to resign) could ask government officials to break a contract (your words). Is Labour regularly inciting contract breaches?

Obviously - you know exactly that John Key is just doing what every politician is entitled to. You are just envious that he is leaving on a High, while any Labour Leader I can remember left so far on a Low.
    It's an unwritten contract that is expected of the incumbent PM, that unless they do something terribly wrong, are deposed, pass away or are very ill, they are there for the rest of the term. John just up and left - while he was still well ahead in the polls, and with no really brilliant option for a new National leader or deputy. As recently as the start of this year, he was still keen. The opposition always calls for the incumbent to resign, that's normal, but no-one expects it to happen.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...aland-wants-me

2015: looking for a new leader, Bennett?
    Last edited by elZorro; 10-12-2016 at 10:02 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Well, you now have a good excuse for the occasional typo. Apparently you can read books on your phone with a suitable app, try reading Dirty Politics if you can get hold of it, and let us know if you have any new opinion on Judith Collins?
    No thanks. Nicky Hagar or whatever his name is, is a despicable creep and his opinion of Collins would not change mine. I do not like her and would not vote National if she was top dog. Just as I wouldn't vote Labour under its current leader.

Guru

It's an unwritten contract that is expected of the incumbent PM, that unless they do something terribly wrong, are deposed, pass away or are very ill, they are there for the rest of the term. John just up and left - while he was still well ahead in the polls, and with no really brilliant option for a new National leader or deputy. As recently as the start of this year, he was still keen. The opposition always calls for the incumbent to resign, that's normal, but no-one expects it to happen.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...aland-wants-me

2015: looking for a new leader, Bennett?

Unwritten contract. On which planet?

Such dribble. There were options for replacement and the change carried out with little drama. That must surely disappoint you but live with it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Unwritten contract. On which planet?

Such dribble. There were options for replacement and the change carried out with little drama. That must surely disappoint you but live with it.
    eZ being a supporter of the party with the big - Little problem, would obviously rather Key had announced the week before the general election that he was resigning. Mind you it wouldn't have mattered if Little was still leader. Thre risk is that they might have come to their senses and put Nash in.

Legend

No thanks. Nicky Hagar or whatever his name is, is a despicable creep and his opinion of Collins would not change mine. I do not like her and would not vote National if she was top dog. Just as I wouldn't vote Labour under its current leader.
    If you can't spell his name, you haven't done much research before denigrating him. Nicky Hager is a forensic, technical, political writer with an MSc. You would also need to read his books before spouting off on something you don't want to know anything about. Some National staffers, National Party members and some MPs were crooked, they were found out in their emails, this followed on from general directions and advice given by Crosby-Textor, their strategy advisors for the last 12 years. There is no proof of that, it just lines up. They for certain knew what was going on, and they didn't stop it. Neither did John Key.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

? . . the point is Norman Kirk tragically died in office. He didn't decide to break the contract to be NZ's PM for the full term. . .
    I do believe you're being disingenuous, elZorro.

Your point was that a small caucus of National party MPs appointed the PM, and that that was a bad thing.

My point was that after Mister Kirk died, a small caucus of Labour Party MPs appointed the PM.

I fail to see how one small caucus of MPs appointing a PM differs from another small caucus of MPs appointing a PM.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Fungus, there are times in politics when you just have to hold your nose, swallow the rat, and follow your principles.

Unpalatable though those things may be.

Dilettante

It will be interesting to see how far English/Bennett will go today with the new lineup. Obviously the housing portfolio will be needing a major shakeup with the new PM and Deputy being 2 of 3 housing Ministers currently. This should be a big one and Nick Smith probably gone.
    McCully out replaced by Coleman ? Would that leave Health to Adams or maybe Collins ? Bridges taking over as no 3 from Brownlee and replacing Joyce at Economic Development ! Nikki Kaye into Education with Parata joining Key on the backbenches.
    All pure speculation but I think and hope we will see quite a refreshed frontbench by nightfall.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It will be interesting to see how far English/Bennett will go today with the new lineup. Obviously the housing portfolio will be needing a major shakeup with the new PM and Deputy being 2 of 3 housing Ministers currently. This should be a big one and Nick Smith probably gone.
    McCully out replaced by Coleman ? Would that leave Health to Adams or maybe Collins ? Bridges taking over as no 3 from Brownlee and replacing Joyce at Economic Development ! Nikki Kaye into Education with Parata joining Key on the backbenches.
    All pure speculation but I think and hope we will see quite a refreshed frontbench by nightfall.
    Sounds to me like some National voters have actually been a bit embarrassed about some of their cabinet MPs.. we're hearing it all now.