sharetrader
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Sounds to me like some National voters have actually been a bit embarrassed about some of their cabinet MPs.. we're hearing it all now.
    I think most of them have done a fairly decent job. But a new Leader should stamp his mark on it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I think most of them have done a fairly decent job. But a new Leader should stamp his mark on it.
    Correct. New broom has to prove it can sweep I'd like to see Amy Adams take a big leap up,
    then there's Chris Bishop. The trouble for English is who to leave out with so much talent available. I can think of another party that would struggle wondering who they could put in.
    Probably a good time to give David Seymour a portfolio to strengthen their coalition partner, although he has previously declined the offer.
    Someone will have a tough job following Key as minister of tourism. Amy Adams perhaps? Maggie Barry? Paul Goldsmith? No doubt eZ will help me out here.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 12-12-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Correct. New broom has to prove it can sweep I'd like to see Amy Adams take a big leap up,
    then there's Chris Bishop. The trouble for English is who to leave out with so much talent available. I can think of another party that would struggle wondering who they could put in.
    Probably a good time to give David Seymour a portfolio to strengthen their coalition partner, although he has previously declined the offer.
    Someone will have a tough job following Key as minister of tourism. Amy Adams perhaps? Maggie Barry? Paul Goldsmith? No doubt eZ will help me out here.
    I've seen John Key 'opening' a tourism venture, of course long after all the hard work had been done, and while his speech to a few onlookers was OK, the main reason for him being there was so the TV crew could bail him up outside and he could blather on about other issues of importance. I've no doubt that tourism is mostly fired along by the hard work of the business owners, it would be a feel-good portfolio that any minister would enjoy.

Bill English won't be moving into premier House at the moment. Wise choice, it would be a lot of upheaval to move from Karori and into another place for just a few months. It's almost an admission that he doesn't expect to win the next election. Is that another reason for John Key to step down - to at least give hardworking Bill a taste of being PM, even if he is normally unelectable?

In a gift that will keep on giving, Paula Bennett was up against Jack Tame again this morning on TV1, and you could see from her wide eyes that she was being careful with every word. Of course when tackled about poverty and what the govt is doing about it, her answer was that it's so very complex, what with all the intergenerational things like drugs, alcohol abuse etc.

It was nothing to do with well paid jobs, that's going perfectly OK?

National Party supporters should be ashamed of this govt.

Guru

Jack Tame does a good interview.
    Other look like they are asking agreed questions - Jack puts them on the spot.

I've seen John Key 'opening' a tourism venture, of course long after all the hard work had been done, and while his speech to a few onlookers was OK, the main reason for him being there was so the TV crew could bail him up outside and he could blather on about other issues of importance. I've no doubt that tourism is mostly fired along by the hard work of the business owners, it would be a feel-good portfolio that any minister would enjoy.

Bill English won't be moving into premier House at the moment. Wise choice, it would be a lot of upheaval to move from Karori and into another place for just a few months. It's almost an admission that he doesn't expect to win the next election. Is that another reason for John Key to step down - to at least give hardworking Bill a taste of being PM, even if he is normally unelectable?

In a gift that will keep on giving, Paula Bennett was up against Jack Tame again this morning on TV1, and you could see from her wide eyes that she was being careful with every word. Of course when tackled about poverty and what the govt is doing about it, her answer was that it's so very complex, what with all the intergenerational things like drugs, alcohol abuse etc.

Oh dear, EZ, is this is the best you can offer? Mr. Little is not even capable to administer an effective opposition and you nag about that the new PM wants to stay in his family home ...? And you comment on Paula Bennett - for sure it is the populists of this world who have simple answers (which however never solve the problems). I am glad that Paula Bennett realises that solving poverty is a bit more complex than throwing money at poor people. There normally is a reason they are poor - and these reasons might be complex to resolve.

If anybody has a reason to be ashamed of, than it should be Labour and Green supporters about the inept opposition NZ had to endure already for the last eight years or so.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    that the new PM wants to stay in his family home ...?
    I agree that it is hardly a problem.
    But it isn't his 'family home' is it?
    Isn't this the one he was claiming the allowance for when the allowance rort blew up?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Isn't this the one he was claiming the allowance for when the allowance rort blew up?
    There was no rort. Everything he did was within the rules. Even though there was no fault on his part he repaid the money he had rightfully claimed and made no further claims.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Define "family home". I guess he is probably not the only politician who needs to run (due to his job) several households to have some presence in his electorate as well as in Wellington.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

You're a sad sad man eZ. Spend a little time enjoying life instead of feeding your paranoia by turning every single action of the National party into some sort of crime scene or some other negative. There is absolutely no doubt that Key was widely admired internationally and has done more for tourism that any previous minister.
    As for assuming English will not win the next election- I'm afraid you are wrong. He has no opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    There was no rort. Everything he did was within the rules. Even though there was no fault on his part he repaid the money he had rightfully claimed and made no further claims.
    If I recall he was referred to a the Member for DoubleDIPTON