sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    From where I'm sitting, it's the National Party that is the weird mob. As David Shearer said, they had such a popular following, why didn't the current govt do anything bold? So many tough questions left unanswered. I think the popular following was mainly due to Crosby-Textor's help, plenty of money spent, and the outwardly friendly attitude of John Key. It wasn't because they did anything useful for many.

OK, we have fibre, we'll have a few more motorways. Some hospital upgrades. Labour would have done that too, plus a lot more, in the pursuit of a fairer society. That ideal has never gone out of fashion, unless you're in the top 2% already, and want to hold onto every perk.

BTW, Jacinda's family name is Ardern. I checked.

Than-you. I have corrected her name, and also realised I had omitted Clare Curran's role. role.

As they are they should rename themselves the Flintstone party of Bedrock, and Little could be Fred. If you look closely at Cosgrove's hair style and build, he'd make a good Barney Rubble. Jacinda Adern could be Wilma. Clare Curran - Betty.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Than-you. I have corrected her name, and also realised I had omitted Clare Curran's role. role.

As they are they should rename themselves the Flintstone party of Bedrock, and Little could be Fred. If you look closely at Cosgrove's hair style and build, he'd make a good Barney Rubble. Jacinda Adern could be Wilma. Clare Curran - Betty.
    Very droll.. you still got Jacinda's surname wrong though. Attention to detail - that's what would make this nation great again, with a brighter future.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I'd put it down to having likeable MPs fronting the party.
    Do you think Labour's unpopularity is due to their PR man as well, or are you putting it all down to Little?
    I think you realise that if Labour had millions or so to spend on an outfit like Crosby-Textor over the years (they don't come cheap), they'd look pretty good too, and maybe they'd be better funded as a result. Look behind all that, into policies and their MPs - Labour stacks up, and what happened last time they were in office? Guess what, the country boomed, and old debt was paid off as well.

Labour should have their own TUI billboard:

Competent - Incompetent
    Fair - Unfair
    New Jobs - Immigrants
    Homeowners - Rentiers

Guru

What the hell is a Rentier? Attention to detail please.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    What the hell is a Rentier? Attention to detail please.

A rentier is a person who derives their income solely from property and other investments

Guru

Ah so it is a French word but I think eZ was still referring to renters as an opposite to home owner.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Ah so it is a French word but I think eZ was still referring to renters as an opposite to home owner.
    No, I was referring to rentiers, being those who don't contribute a great deal to an economy, while living mainly off rent. It is a generally derogative term with Marxist origins, compared to 'private enterprise' for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rentier_capitalism

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    No, I was referring to rentiers, being those who don't contribute a great deal to an economy, while living mainly off rent. It is a generally derogative term with Marxist origins, compared to 'private enterprise' for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rentier_capitalism
    So housing NZ is a rentier? I mean living off rent (providing housing), living off invested capital (ie dividends from stocks/business owner) or living off interest (debt funding) what is the difference?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    So housing NZ is a rentier? I mean living off rent (providing housing), living off invested capital (ie dividends from stocks/business owner) or living off interest (debt funding) what is the difference?
    Housing NZ was at least not trying to make huge profits from tenants, and presumably in the past all income was put back into upkeep and renovation or renewal. Its primary aim was not to reap capital gain over a couple of decades. National has managed to pull money out of Housing NZ, plus board up a lot of state houses for no good reason. The human overflow goes to caravan parks etc. Criminal.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...s-in-two-years

English didn't look like a PM on TV tonite. The people of Kaikoura should be worried.

Mind you old Gerry didn't help getting grumpy as
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”