sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'm sorry you're running out of ammo, FP. You did remind me of that meaningless Northland by-election, where National's hapless candidate was denied being elected in a National stronghold. Was John Key's attempt to help up there, a metaphor for his time in office? Missed - by that much. Failed to nail anything down despite/because of record popularity with voters.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/vide...ers-2015031117
    Well, yes - Northland by election reminds much of the recent US elections - doesn't it? In both elections did dangerous populists win the election over any decency or common sense. In both cases was the electorate screwed afterwards (or do you remember anything Northland did win by electing the demagogue?), but they gave the establishment the finger. What I don't understand is - how would this right-wing populism be any good for Labour? Did Labour sink that low that they don't care anymore for the good of the people?
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 21-12-2016 at 08:25 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

I'm sorry you're running out of ammo, FP. You did remind me of that meaningless Northland by-election, where National's hapless candidate was denied being elected in a National stronghold. Was John Key's attempt to help up there, a metaphor for his time in office? Missed - by that much. Failed to nail anything down despite/because of record popularity with voters.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/vide...ers-2015031117
    I had no idea that Key had difficulty with a hammer. That's a massive revelation. I'm starting to understand your dislike of him. Thank Allah he's gone.

Bill English, having grown up on a farm would have been reliable with a hammer. Mind you, Helen Clarke being a dairy farmers daughter was probably ok to.

A bit of historical perpective regadring next years general election

1957: National change leader to Keith Holyoake : 1957: lose to Labour
    1972: (jan) National change to Jack Marhall 1972: lose to Labour
    1990: Labour change to Mike Moore 1990 lose to National
    1997: National change to Jenny Shipley 1999 lose to Labour
    2001 National change to Bill English 2002 : lose to Labour
    2003 National change to Don Brash 2005 Lose to Labour
    2016 National change to Bill English 2017 ?????
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 21-12-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Bill English, having grown up on a farm would have been reliable with a hammer. Mind you, Helen Clarke being a dairy farmers daughter was probably ok to.

Historical perspective by its very definition has nothing to do with any forthcoming election, which will be lost by Labour unless they find a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Historical perspective by its very definition has nothing to do with any forthcoming election, which will be lost by Labour unless they find a leader.
    We shall see.

??? Since it will just be National losing is what you're infering , the above has no point of merit actually considering the future is yet to happen. I'm here hoping you're not doing your stocks' selections' by this method too Anyway, GL.

Legend

That's a good bit of work there, Sgt Pepper. It points out the low likelihood of National's new leader being accepted as such, by the voters. There have been some devastating political cartoons about John Key's stepping down, and while looking for one, I found this page on all the tax haven cartoons.

http://liberation.typepad.com/libera...ma-papers.html

Which we all seem to have forgotten about, but John Key has never released his personal tax details, and probably most of the tax evading structures for big corporates are still in place. This must all be part of the heat that JK was feeling in the job.

Maybe Labour will bring out some good policy ideas on tax evasion, before the next election.

Guru

That's a good bit of work there, Sgt Pepper. It points out the low likelihood of National's new leader being accepted as such, by the voters. There have been some devastating political cartoons about John Key's stepping down, and while looking for one, I found this page on all the tax haven cartoons.

http://liberation.typepad.com/libera...ma-papers.html

Which we all seem to have forgotten about, but John Key has never released his personal tax details, and probably most of the tax evading structures for big corporates are still in place. This must all be part of the heat that JK was feeling in the job.

Maybe Labour will bring out some good policy ideas on tax evasion, before the next election.
    What a load of tosh. That above table looks like a sample of coin tosses to me.... likelihood does not change because something has happened in the past.

That said, I think National's chances this election are a bit less since Key stepped down... but not because he stepped down, but because Bill is a slightly worse candidate than John would have been. Still cannot vote for Labour with that goon Angry Andy as its leader. The by-election will be interesting to watch as the Greens and Labour squabble. I wish National voters would vote green just to upset the cart a bit.
    Last edited by blackcap; 22-12-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    That said, I think National's chances this election are a bit less since Key stepped down...
    I agree with that, at least. Found the Moreu cartoon online. The white flag of surrender.
    Also note: flag referendum $22mill, Mt Albert by-election $1mill. So let's not hear any more about Labour costing the taxpayer heaps of money.
    Last edited by elZorro; 22-12-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Advanced Member

The joke has changed - from How many "whatevers doe it take to change a light bulb" to how many Labour MP's does it take to change a leader.