sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    I know. Apparently they have ordered guillotines for every town centre, all the peasants will be issued with pitchforks. But what's even worse...... they might even abolish tax deductions for property investors. Oh my god the world would end if that happened
    Property investors are taxed on profit. There are no tax deductions for property investors, so no chance to abolish them.

Legend

I know. Apparently they have ordered guillotines for every town centre and all the peasants will be issued with pitchforks.
    But what's even worse...... they might even abolish tax deductions for property investors. Oh my god the world would end if that happened!! Imagine that, having the audacity to ask that everyone pays their fair share of running a civilised society. What next. it all started with those crazy lefties abolishing slavery in 1836
    I know exactly what you mean, and couldn't agree more. It's most unfair that some pay 30% or more, while some pay 15% or less. A flat tax is the way to make it fair. I'm pleased you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, and couldn't agree more. It's most unfair that some pay 30% or more, while some pay 15% or less. A flat tax is the way to make it fair. I'm pleased you agree.
    touche Fungus

Merry Christmas, looking forward to crossing swords in the New Year

Legend

touche Fungus

Merry Christmas, looking forward to crossing swords in the New Year
    Crossing swords- just when we are in perfect and harmonious agreement! !!? Oh well. Merry Christmas then

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Crossing swords- just when we are in perfect and harmonious agreement! !!? Oh well. Merry Christmas then
    Yes, Season's Greetings to everyone, it'll be an interesting thread next year.

However, in answer to progressive taxes being better replaced with flat taxes, that has been tested on public perception and in general it doesn't go down well. There is a reason for progressive taxes being the chosen method throughout most of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_tax

FP, you could compare NZ to Australia, where they have a more progressive income tax by far, plus a capital gains tax. If I were you, I'd be happy with the status quo.

Trump goes nuts again.
    Last edited by elZorro; 23-12-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Yes, Season's Greetings to everyone, it'll be an interesting thread next year.

However, in answer to progressive taxes being better replaced with flat taxes, that has been tested on public perception and in general it doesn't go down well. There is a reason for progressive taxes being the chosen method throughout most of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_tax

FP, you could compare NZ to Australia, where they have a more progressive income tax by far, plus a capital gains tax. If I were you, I'd be happy with the status quo.

Trump goes nuts again.
    Oh, I'm perfectly happy thank-you, which is not to say our taxation system is as good as it could be. But I will admit to being puzzled by your mention of Australia as an example of a progressive tax system at work in an economy. Their economy is stuffed while ours is the envy of the world.
    However we can agree on Trump. He's a benighted madman; a megalomaniacal narcissist, and that's an explosive dangerous combination.
    So best wishes for Christmas, and here's hoping the Republican party can control Trump, although I very much doubt it............ but someone will.

Dilettante

As always this section of ST has been a lot of fun this year and 99% of comments in good humour, despite very different views and beliefs.. The new year will be an election year so I suspect even more fun then. Wish all posters a happy festive season and a good 2017.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    As always this section of ST has been a lot of fun this year and 99% of comments in good humour, despite very different views and beliefs.. The new year will be an election year so I suspect even more fun then. Wish all posters a happy festive season and a good 2017.
    Merry Christmas everyone- found a Christmas-themed political comment.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...-gareth-morgan

Come Xmas 2017 no one will remember who Gareth Morgan was, other than that he wanted to kill cats and he was Sam Morgan's father and managed to make some money by going along for the ride with Sam.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Come Xmas 2017 no one will remember who Gareth Morgan was, other than that he wanted to kill cats and he was Sam Morgan's father and managed to make some money by going along for the ride with Sam.
    He's right about cats. Too many uncontrolled doing immeasurable harm. But poor old Gareth was hopeless at selling the message, just as he won't be able to sell his political theories. When it comes to charisma, he'd make a good match for a dish-cloth.