sharetrader
    Legend

Damn tourism number up again. Hotels boked out, pesky tourists keeping shops busy and getting in the way, wanting service for everything. Let's discourage all this sight-seeing nonsense and get back to eZ's real jobs. Making chocolate bars a few thousand kms from where they are wanted, and a few other really exciting factory jobs. Time to stop all those IT businesses too. New fangled industry that stuff - back to shoeing horses. Eh eZ! Whadday' reckin?

FP, 3 posts in a row, MVT complained about EZ and multiple posts but you must be seriously concerned about Nationals chances?
    Or did you just wake up more grumpier than usual?

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    FP, 3 posts in a row, MVT complained about EZ and multiple posts but you must be seriously concerned about Nationals chances?
    Or did you just wake up more grumpier than usual?

westerly
    I can quite understand complaints about eZ's posts, irrespective of number. But mine are different. Educational and enlightening, and provided for the edification and enjoyment of all the readers.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Damn tourism number up again. Hotels boked out, pesky tourists keeping shops busy and getting in the way, wanting service for everything. Let's discourage all this sight-seeing nonsense and get back to eZ's real jobs. Making chocolate bars a few thousand kms from where they are wanted, and a few other really exciting factory jobs. Time to stop all those IT businesses too. New fangled industry that stuff - back to shoeing horses. Eh eZ! Whadday' reckin?
    well I think EZ is considerably more knowledgeable about the IT industry then either you or me.
    Just curious: have you ever lost your job due to restructuring or industry closure and had a young family to support and a mortgage to service?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    well I think EZ is considerably more knowledgeable about the IT industry then either you or me.
    Just curious: have you ever lost your job due to restructuring or industry closure and had a young family to support and a mortgage to service?
    All of those things, but that question has no relevance to this discussion, except to say the cruelest thing that can happen to employees is when the business is put on some sort of lifeline. dying is a natural part of businesses, and alternatives will not arise in the face of propped up last leg enterprises. Necessity is the mother of invention and innovation.

Guru

All of those things, but that question has no relevance to this discussion, except to say the cruelest thing that can happen to employees is when the business is put on some sort of lifeline. dying is a natural part of businesses, and alternatives will not arise in the face of propped up last leg enterprises. Necessity is the mother of invention and innovation.
    Maybe but I think it could be relevant to this discussion. Because one can argue that this is the reason that Trump won the US elections. Will it help Labour win in NZ? I doubt it, but it is relevant. Trump ran on keeping "dying" industries alive, there were many people hurting and the belief in a "lifeline" gave them the hope and drive to vote for Trump. I think this is one where Trump is going to find it difficult to live up to the promise as its not immigration but automation that will decimate jobs worldwide. First in high minimum wage environments like NZ and progressively to those with lower minimum wages.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Maybe but I think it could be relevant to this discussion. Because one can argue that this is the reason that Trump won the US elections. Will it help Labour win in NZ? I doubt it, but it is relevant. Trump ran on keeping "dying" industries alive, there were many people hurting and the belief in a "lifeline" gave them the hope and drive to vote for Trump. I think this is one where Trump is going to find it difficult to live up to the promise as its not immigration but automation that will decimate jobs worldwide. First in high minimum wage environments like NZ and progressively to those with lower minimum wages.
    It's certainly robotics and automation that has eaten into US jobs. But new fields are opening up all the time. Let manufacturing disappear to 3rd world countries. Lift living standards in USA and developing countries. There will be few manufacturing jobs anywhere in 20 years, so get into the new economy now.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 28-02-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Guru

It's certainly robotics and automation that has eaten into US jobs. But new fields are opening up all the time. Let manufacturing disappear to 3rd world countries. Lift living standards in USA and developing countries. There will be few manufacturing jobs anywhere in 20 years, so get into the new economy now.
    Then NZ needs a plan to get the people in a position to participate in the 'new economy'.
    There are many people who currently aren't educated to participate - there are only so many low skilled people a country needs when low skilled jobs go to robots.
    I don't see a plan from the Govt yet.

Just for Blackcaps benefit - Trump lost the US election by nearly 3 million votes. If they had had an NZ type system of MMP Hilary Clinton would be President/Prime Minister. In the mid term elections next year (if Trump survives Impeachment until then) there will be no Electoral College to save him.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Just for Blackcaps benefit - Trump lost the US election by nearly 3 million votes. If they had had an NZ type system of MMP Hilary Clinton would be President/Prime Minister. In the mid term elections next year (if Trump survives Impeachment until then) there will be no Electoral College to save him.
    This has absolutely nothing with my point MVT. Trump is the President last time I looked and not Hillary. So I guess Trump won the election. (the US do not have MMP so what is your argument exactly?) What mid-term elections are you talking about? Trump will not be taking part as far as I am aware so he will be president to 2020.
    However my point was that he used the "pain" of those displaced by technology to get to where he did in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. Whether that could apply in a NZ situation I doubt.