sharetrader
    Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    My daughter's previous flatmate is now a certified primary school teacher. She can't spell or do any maths to save herself, can't do percentages in fact. It's a bit of a worry. I'm sure most teachers are fairly competent.
    Fortunately for the teachers, they don't have to do school work or the homework, or the internals, or sit the exams like their students do.

Legend

My daughter's previous flatmate is now a certified primary school teacher. She can't spell or do any maths to save herself, can't do percentages in fact. It's a bit of a worry. I'm sure most teachers are fairly competent.
    I'm not.

Legend

The govt has announced a nearly $75mill increase to one area of the Callaghan funding for R&D businesses.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU170...ay+11+May+2017

This is more of the lopsided support for big businesses (up to $5million in grants to each business spread over 4 years), announced while they were meeting with some tech business that had set up in Wellington under the noses of the funding providers, and cheekily this firm is also listed on the ASX.

They're listed on the ASX to get funding from the wider market. Why do they need NZ taxpayer support as well, and couldn't the same level of funding help numerous small businesses to get started on the R&D track?

(I see from their share price decline that they aren't doing too well yet, probably, like Xero, they are spending money like water).

Student undergraduate part-funded spots for 400 hours of R&D over the summer holidays are still locked at 240 places nationwide, for example. That costs just under $2mill a year. Peanuts, for the possible returns.
    Last edited by elZorro; 11-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Veteran novice

This discussion of teachers' competencies is interesting - but to cut to the electoral chase:

It seems that Labour's policy on charter schools is not to have them but that certain "charter" schools may be allowed under the description of "special character" schools?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    This discussion of teachers' competencies is interesting - but to cut to the electoral chase:

It seems that Labour's policy on charter schools is not to have them but that certain "charter" schools may be allowed under the description of "special character" schools?
    That's because that subset of charter schools are still teaching the syllabus, and they are using registered teachers. Maybe we should look at it from the point of view of registered teachers who have undergone teacher training, often on top of a degree. Why would they do that if they could just walk into a teaching job based on practical experience in the workplace? There has to be a standard set somewhere, both in the information and skills being taught, and in the techniques required for teaching. It's not a perfect system, but it's a good place to start, surely.

Guru

That's because that subset of charter schools are still teaching the syllabus, and they are using registered teachers. Maybe we should look at it from the point of view of registered teachers who have undergone teacher training, often on top of a degree. Why would they do that if they could just walk into a teaching job based on practical experience in the workplace? There has to be a standard set somewhere, both in the information and skills being taught, and in the techniques required for teaching. It's not a perfect system, but it's a good place to start, surely.
    No not at all. I was in the Netherlands a while back where there was a teacher shortage. People with degrees and experience in the workforce were being targeted and offered teaching positions starting immediately. The pre-requisite was that some form of teacher or subject training was completed concurrently and this was often paid by the school. Seemed to work fine over there and the good thing was you got teachers with real world experience teaching to diversify the teacher base.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    No not at all. I was in the Netherlands a while back where there was a teacher shortage. People with degrees and experience in the workforce were being targeted and offered teaching positions starting immediately. The pre-requisite was that some form of teacher or subject training was completed concurrently and this was often paid by the school. Seemed to work fine over there and the good thing was you got teachers with real world experience teaching to diversify the teacher base.
    That lack of world experience is why they are known as the third sex. Most of them have spent nearly every day in a classroom since they were five.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    That lack of world experience is why they are known as the third sex. Most of them have spent nearly every day in a classroom since they were five.
    You guys are just trying to pull attention away from Bill's video, or VLOG.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politi...ook-video.html

I didn't see any sign of his protection crew. But it's not something I'd have expected from John Key, that's a start. Looks pretty real.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post

If that happens, it would be surprising if start up and ongoing funding is not brought into line with state school funding, even if other aspects are retained. Can't really see the state providing funding to the private sector to purchase premises or to pay teachers a non standard rate.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    If that happens, it would be surprising if start up and ongoing funding is not brought into line with state school funding, even if other aspects are retained. Can't really see the state providing funding to the private sector to purchase premises or to pay teachers a non standard rate.
    I guess we'll have to wait for further clarification of Labour's policy on that. Of course, there may be two versions of that, too!