sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    May not be illegal but ethical ?

westerly
    Perfectly ethical. Lots of employees have things they can claim for.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    May not be illegal but ethical ?

westerly
    Agree, certainly not ethical and can be proven illegal should justice prevail.

Point is there're two politicians who have brushed with benefit fraud (and one with alleged child assault), one has fessed up and seems destined to pay back their benefits payments perhaps to try to avoid criminal prosecution (shame on that) whereas the other is trying to avoid any of it as though accusations are all lies and she has no culpability. Prove it!

I say weed out the rotten apples and disbar them all from public service responsibilities, regardless of their party offiliations or positions of responsibilities. Being a cheating duplicitous scumbag cannot be condoned as a reasonable, respectable or tolerable pathway to parliament and the responsibilities that go with power and government, or opposition.

Make your bed, then lie in it. I hope this plays out to a credible conclusion for both women involved, neither are fit to govern imho.
    Last edited by Baa_Baa; 24-07-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    I have no particular desire to stick up for Bill English, but I will stick up for fairness. His was a legitimate claim that if any employees other than a politician claimed, nothing would be said. I can understand why he voluntarily paid it back - it simply wouldn't be worth the ill informed and jealous attacks directed at him to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I have no particular desire to stick up for Bill English, but I will stick up for fairness. His was a legitimate claim that if any employees other than a politician claimed, nothing would be said. I can understand why he voluntarily paid it back - it simply wouldn't be worth the ill informed and jealous attacks directed at him to keep it.

Sticking up for fairness is laudable, but for you does it extend across the political spectrum?

Membaa

It's not about Bill, it's about whether Bennet and Turia are fit to be parliamentary representatives in government or in opposition. I think not, until one or the other or neither is found to be innocent of benefit fraud and in one case child abuse allegations against her. Turia cannot pay back her way out of culpability and Bennet has done nothing to rebut claims against her. Let due process examine who is liable, let justice take its course.

Legend

It's not about Bill, it's about whether Bennet and Turia are fit to be parliamentary representatives in government or in opposition. I think not, until one or the other or neither is found to be innocent of benefit fraud and in one case child abuse allegations against her. Turia cannot pay back her way out of culpability and Bennet has done nothing to rebut claims against her. Let due process examine who is liable, let justice take its course.
    Surely it's also a matter of scale, it might be that Metiria's rent subsidy from having flatmates is not of any great monetary amount, but claiming a benefit while being employed is another thing, if proven.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Sticking up for fairness is laudable, but for you does it extend across the political spectrum?
    Yes. Most definitely.

Legend

Point is there're two politicians who have brushed with benefit fraud (and one with alleged child assault), one has fessed up and seems destined to pay back their benefits payments perhaps to try to avoid criminal prosecution (shame on that) whereas the other is trying to avoid any of it as though accusations are all lies and she has no culpability. Prove it!
    No doubt the other one is a National MP for you to mention it. So who is the MP who has 'brushed' with fraud and is alleged to be guilty of benefit fraud? What is her name eZ?

Membaa

No doubt the other one is a National MP for you to mention it. So who is the MP who has 'brushed' with fraud and is alleged to be guilty of benefit fraud? What is her name eZ?
    Your post barely warrants a response however, as a National supporter I cannot abide by having no rebuttal or even a response from Bennett regarding the allegations against her. Rooting out evil and corruption cannot be subjugated by partisan politics, all parties are duty bound to keep their house clean. Bennett needs to get on top of this, it won't go away and the closer to an election that it gets, the worse the fallout will be on National.

Dilettante

Your post barely warrants a response however, as a National supporter I cannot abide by having no rebuttal or even a response from Bennett regarding the allegations against her. Rooting out evil and corruption cannot be subjugated by partisan politics, all parties are duty bound to keep their house clean. Bennett needs to get on top of this, it won't go away and the closer to an election that it gets, the worse the fallout will be on National.
    Been overseas for a couple of months but read NZ papers online everyday. Still have no idea what is being frequently talked about on this forum re Bennett as I haven't seen any of it in our media. Why is that if there is truth to the allegations against her ?

Here is how Barry Soper feels about Turei's law breaking http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11895020
    I am sure he would be hitting Bennett up similarly if he had proof of her doing something illegal, as he should.

I can not see how Turei can remain as Leader of the Greens. She should resign from that job and from Parliament. Does anyone think Winston will go into Government with her at the table ?