sharetrader
Page 155 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 551051451511521531541551561571581591652052556551155 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 16077

I agree craic and i'm certainly not looking at this issue with any political bias. I kind of think the mine should never be touched and is a fitting tomb. If the grieving families don't think that though,then it's not fitting.
    If one more life got lost in that mine because of this, and a political party had sent them in, imagine the news then.
    Sometimes you really do have to be pragmatic over emotional and cut your losses.
    Private sector looks like it isn't getting the chance to wash its hands in court over this one.

Legend

A bit of press about this from NZResources. As the new owners, the govt through Solid Energy, could arrange something. Certainly DOC dispensation to drill down through the hills and into the mine shaft would provide new ventilation and safer access.

A just decision, but from where will the money come?

Ross Louthean — 6 July 2013
    The emotion shown by Judge Jane Farish in handing down her decision in the Greymouth District Court yesterday reflected the anguish and despair for a need to give fair compensation to the bereaved families of the 29 men who lost their lives at the Pike River mine in late 2010.

TVNZ footage of Judge Farish presenting her decision.

The problem is that it is a Mother Hubbard situation.
    The poor safety management of Pike River Coal Ltd that brought misery to 29 families happened at a time when the company was getting on thin ice with funds, so when the methane blast occurred the company was caught short and had borrowings from major shareholder New Zealand Oil & Gas Ltd (NZOG).
    The Pike River Royal Commission exposed all the frailties, incompetence and poor management activities, as well as the grossly inadequate government mine safety work and the disastrous process of allowing the police take control of the mine rescue.
    The situation today is how will the compensation to families be paid?
    For starters Pike River Coal was fined $760,000 and the receiver made it clear that the pockets were far from full ($500,000 in available funds and.$156,000 in “leftover” insurance money) There is also reparation of $3.41 million to the Pike families, representing $110,000 for each victim and the two survivors.
    Then unsecured creditors are owed $31 M, with NZOG still owed $20.5 M from loans to the company.
    Receiver John Fisk said he could not see how the families could be paid.
    “It's an unfortunate situation but that's the commercial reality of it,” he said.
    Judge Farish suggested the company's directors and parent company (NZOG) might be expected to come to the party.
    It’s a difficult position for NZOG for the company several years ago sponsored the development and listing of Pike River Coal. One of its representatives on the Pike River board left soon after the disaster, whereas chairman John Dow – a well known figure in the Australasian mining and mining education scene – was at the mine and in Greymouth during the unsuccessful rescue attempts.
    NZOG forsook some early payments from the receiver to allow financial relief to some of the contractors and suppliers on the West Coast.
    Yesterday lawyers for Pike River directors John Dow, Ray Meyer and Stuart Nattrass, said the company did not "walk away" from the families after the explosion, as was indicated in the families' victim impact statements and by Judge Farish in court.
    Law firm Minter Ellison Rudd Watts said "good faith efforts were made by Pike River men and women in the wake of the explosion to support the families by providing, among other things, family liaison services, distribution of food and other parcels, and regular updates at meetings.”
    The lawyers’ statement also said it did not accept Judge Farish's comments that no funds had been forthcoming from Pike River to help the companies.
    “It should be known that Pike River and NZOG contributed very shortly following the explosion a total of $1 M to funds set up for the benefit of the families.
    In her emotional delivery of the ruling Judge Farish said “It was clear that there is significant psychological and emotional trauma that is ongoing for the families of the miners who were killed and also those for the two men survived.”
    She said the mine is not the final resting place that the families have chosen for their men.
    “The victim impact statements were harrowing and they feel great sorrow, and it's only when you read them in full and you have their collective sorrow that one understand the imperative it is for them to be able bury their brothers, husbands, partners and sons.
    "To retrieve the bodies may not answer their nightmares. It may not answer all of the questions that they have. But it may go some way to affording them some peace in their lives."
    Counsel for the Pike families, Nic Davidson said there would be a bid for compensation from the Government.
    It was claimed that funds available from the coal company would see only $5,000 paid each for survivors and victims’ families.
    Chief executive of NZOG, Andrew Knight told Radio New Zealand’s checkpoint programme the company has already given a lot of money to Pike River employees, families, the West Coast community and for tunnel recovery work.
    Knight said he needs to listen to Judge Farish's ruling to understand from where she drew her conclusions.
    Whether the Government, NZOG or other parties come up with funds for the grieving families is an issue that may evolve through political and legal pressure.
    But the issue of families being able to retrieve the remains of their loved ones is highly remote, given that Pike River mine is owned by Solid Energy that is in no position to re-enter or redevelop the mine. This may mean it should be rapidly put back on the market to find a new owner whose purchase price in part could compensate the families.
    A possible problem is that several suitors two years ago were deterred by anti-foreign investment sentiments expressed in the media, and a likely buyer would probably have to be a foreigner.
    Sources: press.co.nz, radionz.co.nz and nzresources.com files
    Last edited by elZorro; 06-07-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Legend

Clear logic from David Shearer, surely no argument about any of this.

Regions being hollowed-out by Government policies - Shearer
    Dene Mackenzie — 8 July 2013
    Regions like Otago are being hollowed-out by the Government's lack of a regional strategy, Labour Party leader David Shearer said on Friday.
    Shearer contacted the Otago Daily Times to express his concern about the ongoing job losses being experienced in the region.
    “The Government is not in touch with what is going on in the regions. When jobs are lost, people have no way to support themselves in the community. Their options are the dole, moving to Australia or joining the `big suck' to Auckland,” he said.
    Last week New Zealand Post announced 73 jobs would be lost when it closed its Dunedin mail centre next year, along with a few more jobs in the Otago region.
    Late last week, Wickliffe announced that 10 of its staff might lose their jobs as a further shift was made to digital production.
    Then, the Dunedin City Council-said it would axe a further 77 staff - 41 in Dunedin, 20 in Central Otago and 16 in Southland. Last month, Delta announced 40 staff would be cut with closure of its Christchurch civil construction business.
    The Otago Chamber of Commerce, trade unions and Dunedin Labour MPs had accused the Government of ignoring facilities and services that would be available for expansion in Dunedin rather than closing everything down and shifting it north.
    Asked what he would do to help save jobs in regions such as Otago, and centres like Dunedin, David Shearer said Labour would take everything on a case-by-case basis.
    That would include Dunedin making a case for retaining a South Island mail centre ahead of Christchurch.
    He was committed to keeping industry in regions, and centres like Dunedin, because it provided such a valuable knock-on effect throughout the communities.
    Hillside workshops had lost contracts because the Government adopted a short-term cost mentality without looking at the wider community effects of those jobs being lost when the workshops closed, Shearer said.
    “The Government has not considered the overall economic benefit to the region by giving the contracts to Hillside. The cost may have been slightly higher at the start but you get benefit from keeping the jobs in the community, tax benefits, the removal of the need to provide the unemployment benefits and the associated health benefits having work provides."
    An example was the $1.5 billion the IRD was to spend on a new computer system over the next few years, Shearer said.

The way the contract rules had been written, it was likely an overseas technology provider would be selected on the basis of cheapest short-term price.
    The Government should be looking at how New Zealand companies could benefit from the project, growing their size sufficiently to become exporters.
    He said working with the Government on the IRD project would provide a reputation overseas that Kiwi firms could match the best in the world.

*Dene Mackenzie is political and business editor of the Otago Daily Times. (NZResources)

Advanced Member

And I suppose that Labour will subsidise the transport and other major costs of bringing the goods and services from the wilds of the southern South Island to the consumers in the North Island? Maybe they will rebuild the railways? Shearers logic is as wooly as Shrek.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    And I suppose that Labour will subsidise the transport and other major costs of bringing the goods and services from the wilds of the southern South Island to the consumers in the North Island? Maybe they will rebuild the railways? Shearer's logic is as woolly as Shrek.
    Railway services look like the place to be at the moment. Auckland's keen, and the main trunk line is getting new concrete sleepers at Ngaruawahia by the look of it.

A watchdog is about to take a closer look at National's "big boy network" Private Growth Partnership schemes. Minimum investment for 50% taxpayer co-funding is $500,000. A lot of cash is going into these areas, and as per usual, not much to show for it. That's because the lean and agile small business sector has been shut out of the opportunities, by and large.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10895088
    Last edited by elZorro; 08-07-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Dilettante

What a difference between our busy Government Ministers making a real difference and the Opposition Leader running away and hiding from the media and his own party !!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10895505

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10895644

Legend

Yes, I admit having a hard-line approach has worked in dropping some off one type of benefit, at least. I do wonder where, if our net population is increasing, but the number of jobs is static or dropping, they are all going for employment.

The strict proportional MP rule idea from Labour has been dropped. They'll leave the targets in place.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10895712

Labour MPs don't know if they're Arthor or Martha. Someone should buy Shearer a pretty frock.

I'm very angry about these Shearer leadership coup rumours - Shearer is a shoo-in to lose the next election to National and therefore I would be very disappointed to see him replaced by someone more effective :-(

um, is there anyone effective in the Labour caucus.....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    I'm very angry about these Shearer leadership coup rumours - Shearer is a shoo-in to lose the next election to National and therefore I would be very disappointed to see him replaced by someone more effective :-(

um, is there anyone effective in the Labour caucus.....
    Annette Clark is reasonably capable. There's a couple of others, but they are males, and after Goff and Shearer it's wouldn't be fair to the quota to elect another male.