sharetrader
Page 211 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 1111612012072082092102112122132142152212613117111211 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 16077
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Huh ... You post a link that was published in 2002? WTF? Exactly how is that relevant 11 years later?
    Huh ... Yourself. I posted a link that was relevant to the question you asked me. Not my fault you had an unmentioned time frame in mind. Plus I knew you would not enjoy the fact that even the Greenies were not happy with Cullen gambling away NZ tax money.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    I would be more worried about Key.s moves to have the Conservative party on side. They appear to have some strange ideas when their leader is an admirer of Sarah Palin and her Tea Party. Bigger threat than any Labour Green alliance.

Westerly
    That would be your opinion, not mine. What makes you think National will need any partner. We know Labour has not got the numbers and needs to do deals, National is not so desperate.

Quote of the day I heard was "Colin Craig is nuttier than squirrel poo". I have to agree.
    Religion and politics don't mix. They tried it for a while. It was called the dark ages..

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by slimwin View Post
    Quote of the day I heard was "Colin Craig is nuttier than squirrel poo". I have to agree.
    Religion and politics don't mix. They tried it for a while. It was called the dark ages..
    Slimwin, I'm not sure what you mean here. I found this on Wikipedia.

Views[edit]

Craig has stated he is not sure that "legislating morality" works well.[9] He has described legalization of same-sex marriage as "social engineering",[10] and is also opposed to gay adoption, adolescent access to abortion, school lunches for children in poor families,[11] common-law marriages, and voluntary euthanasia or assisted suicide. In May 2012, Mr Craig described New Zealand's young men and women as "the most promiscuous in the world" based upon surveys such as David P. Schmitt's International Sexuality Description Project research statistics[12] and anecdotal evidence from New Zealand gynaecologists,[13] a statement which was dismissed by Prime Minister John Key[14] and other political leaders like Tariana Turia and Winston Peters.[15]
    In July 2012, Craig claimed during an interview with 3 News he could choose to be gay if he wanted to.[16]
    Following a series of child poverty items on current affairs show Campbell Live and a fundraising effort from the show to raise money for school lunches,[17] Craig said children sent to school without lunch should go without. Instead, their parents should be charged "cost of rectifying their bad behaviour".[11]
    In September 2012, Craig had 20,000 leaflets delivered to residents in the Helensville electorate, claiming locals had told him Helensville MP and Prime Minister John Key was "too gay" to be their representative in Parliament.[18]
    In April 2013 Craig sided with controversial Danish politician Marie Krarup after she called a traditional Maori greeting "grotesque".[19] Craig said no visitors should have to face a "bare-bottomed native making threatening gestures" if they didn't want to.[20]
    Following the legalisation of same sex marriage in April 2013,[21] Craig said "the day of reckoning" would come, that it was a "failure of democracy".[22] and that "[it] was not a vote of the people of New Zealand," adding "If it had been, the answer would have been no."[23]
    Craig has been known to take offence at satirical articles directed at him, including a piece on the satirical website The Civilian, which he said published a story designed "to make him look ridiculous". He threatened to sue the site unless they published a retraction and paid him $500, despite being a millionaire.[24] Craig withdrew the threat the following day.[25]
    In November 2013 Craig said humans were not to blame for climate change, instead pointing to sunspots and "the circulation of planets".[26]
    Cuzzie, the fact that National will be forced to entertain Colin Craig come 2014, says a lot about how they have burned off supporters, or that they had weak supporters in the first place. It's a bit rich to uphold this fledgling Conservative party but discount the Greens, when they have been working on their policies and membership for decades.

It's not the first time a millionaire with Libertarian views has established a political party. Bob Jones was up and running in the 1984 election with the NZ Party. They didn't concentrate on just a few electorates, so obtained over 12% of the vote, but no seats. Muldoon was put out of office. With MMP, such a party would have been quite powerful after the election. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Party
    Last edited by elZorro; 27-11-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Slimwin, I'm not sure what you mean here. I found this on Wikipedia.

Cuzzie, the fact that National will be forced to entertain Colin Craig come 2014, says a lot about how they have burned off supporters, or that they had weak supporters in the first place. It's a bit rich to uphold this fledgling Conservative party but discount the Greens, when they have been working on their policies and membership for decades.

It's not the first time a millionaire with Libertarian views has established a political party. Bob Jones was up and running in the 1984 election with the NZ Party. They didn't concentrate on just a few electorates, so obtained over 12% of the vote, but no seats. Muldoon was put out of office. With MMP, such a party would have been quite powerful after the election. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Party
    You might be right on this one elzorro concerning National looking at Colin Craig for numbers and if National need to do that they will. One more reason to hate MMP and what it has done to NZ politics. How many of these minor parties actually win a seat? Peter Dunn, Winston Peters and - well is that it? Not sure, but what we do know is they gain power without the power of the people. I can live with Colin Craig but I'd rather all the center of right votes(both votes) go to National and on a lesser degree would say that I hope all the center of left votes go to Labour. The minor voice has a big say these days, that's not a good thing.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzie View Post
    You might be right on this one elzorro concerning National looking at Colin Craig for numbers and if National need to do that they will. One more reason to hate MMP and what it has done to NZ politics. How many of these minor parties actually win a seat? Peter Dunn, Winston Peters and - well is that it? Not sure, but what we do know is they gain power without the power of the people. I can live with Colin Craig but I'd rather all the center of right votes(both votes) go to National and on a lesser degree would say that I hope all the center of left votes go to Labour. The minor voice has a big say these days, that's not a good thing.
    It probably depends on your point of view. Right-wing people are more black/white I think. In that case the idea of having to compromise doesn't go down well. But I think that if 12% of the nation votes for a party and they get no seats, that is also wrong. The NZ party did help put Muldoon out, which was one aim. They also had a lot of their liberal policies picked up by Labour and then National. This was a huge painful experiment which we are still sorting out in NZ. Nothing's perfect. Most of Muldoon's Think Big ideas turned out to be very good, over time. Even the gas-to-gasoline plant ended up being converted by Methanex.

I think the take-home message is that generally governments that get in and do something, tend to do OK for the country after the dust has settled. The Labour/Green coalition has some bold ideas, I hope they'll get the nod in 2014.

Conservative and green are in the same boat for me. Both nuts. The majority Center vote should be determining the way the country is run. Not the fringes. I have no problem with them being represented and having voice but not to be the controlling factor.

Guru

What is it with this country and its politics that for instance Labour/National couldnt govern together? It happens in Holland and other European countries where there are no coalitions pre election. After the election the party with the most votes gets to work with whoever and they then form govt. In Holland it is not uncommon for instance for the National party (VVD) to govern with the Labour party (PVDA). Could it happen here or are we not long enough out of FPP for it to be a reality?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by slimwin View Post
    Conservative and green are in the same boat for me. Both nuts. The majority Center vote should be determining the way the country is run. Not the fringes. I have no problem with them being represented and having voice but not to be the controlling factor.
    Not going to be the controlling factor of course in either colour of the next government. More likely to be what has happened in the past - some concessions in exchange for confidence and supply, more in exchange for supporting other legislation. It's MMP.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    What is it with this country and its politics that for instance Labour/National couldnt govern together? It happens in Holland and other European countries where there are no coalitions pre election. After the election the party with the most votes gets to work with whoever and they then form govt. In Holland it is not uncommon for instance for the National party (VVD) to govern with the Labour party (PVDA). Could it happen here or are we not long enough out of FPP for it to be a reality?
    I agree, but with National taking a centrist line and Labour moving more to the left does not seem likely in the short / medium term.