sharetrader
Page 236 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 1361862262322332342352362372382392402462863367361236 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 16077
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    I don't know his name. If this particularly arrogant individual can change his name at the drop of a hat to a title that he feels more suits his image, then I am happy to do the same. And I did not set out to amuse you, nor am I claiming to be educated - just frustrated with some of the rubbish that is floating around in the political pond at this time.
    Interesting you should talk about the Fat-Man - Did you read this in the weekend: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11188725 Is that for real?
    And then this from Matt McCarten: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11188673 Matt, that's you best ever work --- ever.

Banned

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzie View Post
    That's why New Zealanders were fed up with nine years of an increasingly ‘PC’ Labour Government. National asked New Zealanders to ‘Choose a Brighter Future’ and voters responded by delivering John Key and National a resounding victory of 45 percent of the vote (to Labour’s 34 percent) - the highest ever party vote percentage achieved under MMP. Those figures would not be possible if Labour did a great job for nine years EZ. I don't think the opposite, the people who voted them out did otherwise H.C would of got another 3 years.
    I don't think voters were looking at the stats and the fiscal position in 2008, they can't have been.

They did listen to the cries of "Nanny state", a negative PR campaign that worked, certainly amongst males. All the top positions in the country were at one stage filled by females, a world first. If they had all been males, no-one would have noticed or commented on it (just making a point here). And Labour had been in for nine years (in 1935 they were in for 14 years). Instead of National's "A Bright Future" (which by the way we haven't seen yet, they are working to create the opposite), they could have used the slogan "It's time for a change". Oh wait on, Norman Kirk already used that one..

Wikipedia: The right-leaning National Party and the left-leaning Labour Party have dominated New Zealand political as life since a Labour government came to power in 1935. During fourteen years in office (1935–1949), the Labour Party implemented a broad array of social and economic legislation, including comprehensive social security, a large scale public works programme, a forty-hour working week, a minimum basic wage, and compulsory unionism. The National Party won control of the government in 1949 and adopted many welfare measures instituted by the Labour Party. Except for two brief periods of Labour governments in 1957-1960 and 1972–1975, National held power until 1984.
    After regaining control in 1984, the Labour government instituted a series of radical market-oriented reforms in response to New Zealand's mounting external debt. It also enacted anti-nuclear legislation that effectively brought about New Zealand's suspension from the ANZUS security alliance with the United States of America and Australia, and instituted a number of other more left-wing reforms, such as allowing the Waitangi Tribunal to hear claims of breaches of the Treaty of Waitangi to be made back to 1840, reinstituting compulsory unionism and creating new government agencies to implement a social and environmental reform agenda (women's affairs, youth affairs, Pacific Island affairs, consumer affairs, Minister for the Environment).
    In October 1990, the National Party again formed a government, for the first of three three-year terms. In 1996, New Zealand inaugurated the new electoral system, Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) to elect its Parliament. The system was expected (among numerous other goals) to increase representation of smaller parties in Parliament and appears to have done so in the MMP elections to date. Since 1996, neither National nor Labour has had an absolute majority in Parliament, and for all but two of those years a minority government has ruled. In 1995 Georgina Beyer became the world's first openly transsexual mayor, and in 1999 she became the world's first openly transsexual Member of Parliament.
    After nine years in office, the National Party lost the November 1999 election. Labour under Helen Clark out-polled National by 39% to 30% and formed a coalition, minority government with the left-wing Alliance. The government often relied on support from the Green Party to pass legislation.
    The Labour Party retained power in the 27 July 2002 election, forming a coalition with Jim Anderton's new party, the Progressive Coalition, and reaching an agreement for support with the United Future party. Helen Clark remained Prime Minister.
    Following the 2005 general election on 17 September 2005, negotiations between parties culminated in Helen Clark announcing a third consecutive term of Labour-led government. The Labour Party again formed a coalition with Jim Anderton's Progressive Party, with confidence and supply from Winston Peters' New Zealand First and Peter Dunne's United Future. Jim Anderton retained his Cabinet position; Winston Peters became Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Racing and Associate Minister for Senior Citizens; Peter Dunne became Minister of Revenue and Associate Minister of Health. Neither Peters nor Dunne were in Cabinet.
    New Zealand was the first country in the world in which all the highest offices were occupied by women, between March 2005 and August 2006: the Sovereign Queen Elizabeth II of New Zealand, Governor-General Dame Silvia Cartwright, Prime Minister Helen Clark, Speaker of the New Zealand House of Representatives Margaret Wilson and Chief Justice Dame Sian Elias.
    After the General election in November 2008, the National Party moved quickly to form a minority government with the ACT Party, the Maori Party and United Future. This arrangement allowed National to decrease its reliance on the right-leaning ACT party, whose policies are sometimes controversial with the greater New Zealand public. Currently, John Key, who took control of the National Party from Don Brash, is Prime Minister, and Bill English is the deputy. This arrangement conforms to the general tradition of having a north-south split in the major parties' leadership, as John Key's residence is in Auckland and Bill English's electorate is in the South Island.
    Last edited by elZorro; 20-01-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Legend

Colin James with an article for the ODT today. Again a fairly balanced item, and he'll be called on as a commentator during the next elections no doubt.

Even if National loses Labour might not really win

Oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them, the old saying goes. Is it true? Is it true in 2014?

There isn't yet enough wrong for the government to lose. Though National has support-partner issues, it has strong poll ratings, jobs and wages are rising, consumer and business confidence is high and big majorities tell pollsters the country is on the right track.

If those conditions mostly last till the campaign, Labour has to earn a win.

In the years after 1945 governments did lose elections: Labour after 14 years in 1949, National after a late change of Prime Minister in 1957, Labour in 1960 after taxing tobacco, alcohol and petrol hard.

But in 1969 Sir Keith Holyoake's loss-prone third-term government hung on in a tight race. Labour blamed a shipping union dispute but actually was still in transition from 1930s-50s has-beens to a modernising new breed and leader Norman Kirk wasn't ready.

By 1972 Kirk had had a makeover. The modernisers were on top. Labour won in a landslide. The landslide suggests Labour won more than, or at least as much as, National lost. In 1975, Kirk having died and amid the stress of the post-1973-oil-shock recession, Labour lost. But National also won: it got a landslide. A factor was its transition to a popular populist leader, Sir Robert Muldoon.

In 1978 and 1981 National lost on votes to Labour but got more seats and stayed in power. Labour wasn't ready: it had leadership issues and was again in transition, to its up-and-coming baby-boomer cohort, the "B team". By 1984 the "B team" had up-and-come. Labour won in a landslide.

In 1990 Labour was wracked by infighting, had twice changed Prime Minister, had lost its voter base and was stranded in a recession. It unmistakably lost the election. But National also won it, with 48 per cent. It had made a transition, to market economics, epitomised in a knife-edge caucus majority for the Reserve Bank Act in 1989. In effect Labour passed the baton to the next runner on the same deregulatory track.

National fell 13 percentage points in 1993, in effect a loss. But Labour was divided. In 1996 Labour was still unready and Winston Peters went with Jim Bolger despite having said Bolger was not fit to be Prime Minister. By 1999 Helen Clark had refashioned herself forcefully, with makeup, had made up with renegade Jim Anderton and had remade policy into a "third way", leavening market economics with some traditional Labour. She won at least as much as National lost.

Three terms later Labour was waning. But also National had shifted centrewards, got an appealing leader, John Key, and won 45 per cent, a figure that says it won at least as much as Labour lost.

This year, as in 1969 and 1981, Labour is in transition -- from the baby-boomers to an under-45s cohort, which you might call the 2014 "B team". That transition is incomplete.

That does not mean Labour cannot win. Complex data crunching, based on American campaign techniques, has pinpointed Labour-leaners who didn't vote in 2008 and/or 2011 for quizzing and targeting with customised, in-person get-out-and-vote prods. Though the system will take years to fully develop, a trial run in the Christchurch East by-election raised spirits. Labour has more potential campaign activists and fellow-travellers, organised on hubs, than in 2008-11.

But if it wins just on sharper campaigning, it will be with an ageing Peters and the Greens in transition, not a recipe for a long-lived government.

And policy is also still in transition.

Labour explicitly intends to be "active" in the economy: Reserve Bank changes, a state electricity agency, a plan to build 100,000 houses to fix a badly skewed market, ambitions to revive regional development and advantage local firms plus a capital gains tax, tougher tax rules for foreign firms, a living wage and KiwiSaver changes.

And much policy is to be promoted in coming weeks: on housing, including working with builders, developers and not-for-profits; "jobs, skills and training" plus reworking education beyond parroting the unions, with a focus on teacher quality; a rethink of the public service's role; and a child-first policy.

But until policy detail is firmed, uncertainty and confusion hover. Before Christmas David Cunliffe said he would "probably" buy back the part-privatised electricity firms. Hair stood on end in some party quarters.

And when the election platform is settled, will it have transited fully from "third way" policy to a "2020s-way"? Will it make 2014 the "election for the future" some MPs talk of?

Cunliffe has intelligence, proven ministerial ability, charm and presence. But his shine quickly faded in the polls. Voters have not yet discerned the charisma his leadership backers saw.

The critical long-term point for Labour is whether Cunliffe will look like a leader for the future, that is, in effect if not in formality, leader of the up-and-coming "B team" -- a leader making a win, not just squeezing in on a National loss.

Colin James, Synapsis Ltd, 04-384 7030, 021-438 434, fax 04-384 7195, P O Box 9494, Marion Square, Wellington 6141, ColinJames@synapsis.co.nz, website www.ColinJames.co.nz

Last edited by elZorro; 21-01-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Sounds like our votes or non votes are not secret

From that article

That does not mean Labour cannot win. Complex data crunching, based on American campaign techniques, has pinpointed Labour-leaners who didn't vote in 2008 and/or 2011 for quizzing and targeting with customised, in-person get-out-and-vote prods.

BDL - do convicted fraudsters deserve respect?

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    I don't know his name. If this particularly arrogant individual can change his name at the drop of a hat to a title that he feels more suits his image, then I am happy to do the same. And I did not set out to amuse you, nor am I claiming to be educated - just frustrated with some of the rubbish that is floating around in the political pond at this time.
    Here are some of the names he's used craig, Kim Schmitz, Kimble, Kim Tim Jim Vestor, Kim Dotcom. Take your pick. You description of him no less suitable though.

And here some interesting reading on Labour's new coalition partner ! http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01/kim-dotcom/

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    And here some interesting reading on Labour's new coalition partner ! http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01/kim-dotcom/
    Can you support that claim please.
    My understanding is that Cunliffe was offhand
    "Labour leader David Cunliffe was cautious about the prospect of a Labour-Dotcom coalition. "I think there's a wide range of people I can work with," he said. "I wouldn't rule it out but I'm not ruling it in either."
    3rd to last paragraph in this article
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11188725
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    "Labour leader David Cunliffe was cautious about the prospect of a Labour-Dotcom coalition. "I think there's a wide range of people I can work with," he said. "I wouldn't rule it out but I'm not ruling it in either."
    One can only assume that going by the excitement of the Left with Schmitz announcing his new "party" they expect him to be a major force in the next parliamentary term. Added to that is the fact that most of his so called political advisers are aligned to political parties on the Left and that's where his votes will come from.

Personally thought I think he has very little chance of getting any MPs for his "party" but will likely split some of the Green/Labour/Mana vote even further.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Cunliffe is very wise in doubting Dotcom and had had to do it. This from Wiki just as a reminded what we already know of this criminal. He rose to fame in Germany in the 1990s as an alleged hacker and internet entrepreneur. He was convicted of several crimes, and received a suspended prison sentence in 1994 for computer fraud and data espionage, and another suspended prison sentence in 2003 forinsider trading and embezzlement. The US charges of criminal copyright infringement in relation to his Megaupload website are still pending too.

With all that on board he is entering into the NZ political scene? He will be eaten alive. It will be a feastmuster.

Question as I am not too sure; Can Dotcom even be a leader of a polical party if he is a convicted criminal? Easy & belboy like him, that tells me a lot about those two.