sharetrader
Page 293 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 1932432832892902912922932942952962973033433937931293 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,930 of 16077
    Dilettante

EZ,
    FCV usage is a big issue in the fishing industry. In general I don´t agree with it but do accept there are some strong arguments for their use in catching of lower value species. But there is no room in NZ for 3rd World wages and ill treatment of crew or any people full stop.

But you have turned this serious issue into a cheap political shot at National, Sanford and the Goodfellow family.
    Sanford is a well managed and profitable business that is highly regarded internationally. This is good for NZ.
    Sanford employs hundreds of people in the seafood industry here in NZ and I suggest most are relatively happy employees. Their inshore fishermen are some of the most highly paid fishermen in NZ and always have been. Many of their employees are low skilled local and immigrant workers working in the fish factories. The sort of people we need more employers to employ at reasonable wages and I would have thought you supported. Yes the National Party Chairman is a major shareholder and Director. So what ?

Sealords however, which was gifted (50%) to the Maoris Fisheries Commission many years ago and the other half owned by Japanese company Nissui, has been badly managed for years and for example lost $34m last year. They have financially supported Labour through Shane Jones. I have no problems with that.

Independent Fisheries, a big financial supporter of Clayton Cosgrove, fired all their NZ factory workers and fishermen last year and now run their vessels with Ukranian crew under a NZ flag !!!!
    They no longer process fish in NZ.

Why did you only mention Sanford in your tirade ?

This issue is not limited to Sanford , National or the Goodfellow family, as can be assumed from reading your highly politically charged post.Your post is simply rubbish and not based on any facts, just unsubstantiated innuendo.

The Talley´s are different to the other companies in that they do fully employ NZ crews on their vessels although I believe they do have an interest in a company using FCVs in a small way.
    They are very smart operators running a very successful business. And they have amassed hundreds of millions along the way so probably bad people in your books like their former business partners, the Goodfellows !!!!

I say good on both families and NZ needs a lot more good fellows like them, not less.
    Last edited by iceman; 24-03-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Legend

Iceman, apologies from me on the poor research. As you can see at the tail end of that post (3114), I began to see the full picture after another hour or so of checking the Sanford website and other accessible sites. Sanford are now the overseers of the wages paid on FCVs working on their charters in NZ waters. The amount being claimed for historical low wages (presumably shortchanged by the vessel owners, not Sanford) is about $10m.

The Goodfellow family own about 37% of Sanford, it's a listed company but I don't follow them on the NZX so I have no particular issue with the company. The Goodfellow family have been generous benefactors of educational institutions, including providing a chapel at Waikato University. In one year alone, over $200m was gifted.

Here is a better article on the Goodfellow family, they have much to be proud of I agree.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/3919...iet-on-success

Banned

Labour Party candidate gets nod to fight for the Whangarei seat. She - he - shim should fit right in. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11225571 .
    Not that I have too much against people that have not got normal sexuality, more about people who represent us that have got normal sexuality. I prefer normal. If they think radically different not only to heterosexual males & females and go against the grain of their very own makeup, I wont be supporting them to represent me. Is it OK to have that thought, or am I liable for discrimination & why is it always the Labour party that people with abnormal sexuality are attracted to?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzie View Post
    Labour Party candidate gets nod to fight for the Whangarei seat. She - he - shim should fit right in. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11225571 .
    Not that I have too much against people that have not got normal sexuality, more about people who represent us that have got normal sexuality. I prefer normal. If they think radically different not only to heterosexual males & females and go against the grain of their very own makeup, I wont be supporting them to represent me. Is it OK to have that thought, or am I liable for discrimination & why is it always the Labour party that people with abnormal sexuality are attracted to?
    Nor me mate....and I'm sure its OK to think that way nor is it discriminatory. Unfortunately the I feel that the Labour Party have a "bent"that way.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzie View Post
    Of course it's okay to think what you do. Just remember it's discrimination as you say so don't say it out loud.

F.P. Not quite sure what the issue is regarding the linkage between an MP fullffiling their obligations and their orientation. Personally I don't care nor am I particularly interested. One of the most outstanding National MPs in the 1980's was Marliyn Waring, who was gay. Our current Attorney General Chris Finlayson, has an outstanding record as a Lawyer is apparently gay. So what?? Or is it a case of one rule for National Candidiates and another for all other parties

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    F.P. Not quite sure what the issue is regarding the linkage between an MP fullffiling their obligations and their orientation. Personally I don't care nor am I particularly interested. One of the most outstanding National MPs in the 1980's was Marliyn Waring, who was gay. Our current Attorney General Chris Finlayson, has an outstanding record as a Lawyer is apparently gay. So what?? Or is it a case of one rule for National Candidiates and another for all other parties
    I was answering the question in cuzzie's post. If anyone wants to discriminate in any way about anything, that's fine. But they should keep their reasons to themselves because of a ridiculous law.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Sgt Pepper, yes she was amazing. Apparently when the candidate selections were being held for Waipa, she was the standout presenter, and that helped win her the nomination for the National Party. Of course, she was diplomatic about Muldoon outside parliament, but eventually she helped bring that era to an end.

Strange how that event swapped NZ from being a leftie National Govt, into a temporary right-wing/liberal Labour Govt. It's no wonder people couldn't figure out if there was any difference between the parties after that. It's more obvious now.
    Last edited by elZorro; 25-03-2014 at 09:09 PM.

"One of the most outstanding National MPs in the 1980's was Marliyn Waring".
    Marilyn, actually.

I think sober historians would differ.
    Name me one landmark piece of legislation that has survived which she was responsible for?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    "One of the most outstanding National MPs in the 1980's was Marliyn Waring".
    Marilyn, actually.

I think sober historians would differ.
    Name me one landmark piece of legislation that has survived which she was responsible for?
    I'm not an historian, but I am sober and I certainly can't think of anything.