sharetrader
Page 310 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 2102603003063073083093103113123133143203604108101310 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 16077
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    National's policies tend to widen the inequality gap, and it is also an academic truth that the 'trickle down' concept doesn't work. Which leaves National spouting rubbish, while they work on the underlying policy of moving more wealth into the hands of those who already have businesses/land/status/assets. The quickest way to do that when they start their new terms, is to clamp/sack govt paid jobs, which lead to growing unemployment and reduced wage expectations.
    EZ can I refer you to the GINI index used by the NZ Government (MSD website) and IMF for example. It shows a flat trend since about 1998. Maybe it is you "spouting rubbish" in this regard as you have no proper data to back it up.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Craic
    I was interested in your comments about poverty. My Mother, was a part of a very large Catholic family who emigrated to NZ in the 1920s. During the depression before she walked to school her mother insisted she
    have a large bowl of porridge, an apple off their tree and a glass of milk. Better diet than many have now, they all lived to their late 8os, one sister still living who is 93
    My catholic/poverty experience was in Dublin and Kildare. I still start the day with a large bowl of porridge, milk but no sugar. According to tradition, Irish workers carried a "mealy bag" It contained rolled oats and when they felt a bit peckisk the took a good pinch and chewed it slowly like chewing gum. Seems you could go all day on that. Noticed an advertisement in today's paper. Comfortable cottage fully fenced. $150 per week in Dannevirke. now if I was a struggling benificiary with children in Auckland, that's where I would be going. No work there? well probably just as much proportionally as anywhere else. Good schools, good services, less crime etc.

Legend

Iceman, au contraire, the GINI index took a hammering from 1987 or so, when Roger Douglas sideswiped the Labour caucus with his neoliberal plans, backed by Caygill and others. National accelerated this trend with more globalisation, and the 9 years of Labour after that, halted the upwards drift and started it back downwards towards more equality, but not by much, I agree. At the moment the index is showing a lot of chatter, and it could be setting a new trend, but it's not too apparent. National has set a new peak in the GINI coefficient though. They dare not drop WFF, interest free student loans etc, as that would be immediately obvious on the GINI chart.

Like they're trying to set a new record in the govt debt as a proportion of GDP. Even the Waikato Times editorial noted that today. Compared to Australia, we didn't get the debt as low, and we are now further in debt than they are. Debt to GDP peaked higher than any time after 1998. However it is dropping back lately (because export prices have been good, borrowing is still ongoing), and has been somewhat higher before. Note the two scales on the graph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elZorro; 10-04-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Legend

I liked the joint press statement from Labour and the Greens on the power pricing proposal. Do the Greens deserve some input around the cabinet table? I think so. But lately Labour have tried to keep their options open regarding a coalition. Maybe NZ First are having a say in this policy. Anyway, plenty of time before the election to make the situation more clear.

11/4/2014 — Economics, Politics and Government
    Labour cold shoulders Green proposal

Deputy Prime Minister Bill English is trying to stir up the opposition, saying the Greens obviously think Labour Party leader David Cunliffe is “roadkill.”
    Labour has rejected a proposal from the Greens to campaign together as a Labour-Greens Government in waiting before the general election on September 20.
    Radio New Zealand said last night that Greens co-leader Russel Norman confirmed his party made the approach because voters need to know what the alternative Government would look like.
    Bill English said it's pretty obvious that Dr Norman thinks David Cunliffe is not good enough.
    "I think he sees him as roadkill, frankly. Russel Norman presents well on the media, is very frustrated that he only gets 10% of the vote and Labour gets 30. That's a real difficulty in the relationship between them.”
    Labour told Radio New Zealand that this was rubbish, and the gap between the left and right was still only a few percent.
    Cunliffe said talk of a Labour-Green government does not reflect the relative size and status of the two parties and he will be talking about a Labour-led government.
    Labour could work with several parties if it has the chance to form a government and he would wait until the election result to see what its options were.
    Radio NZ said the Greens say if voters want them to have any influence in the government, they will have to make that clear at the ballot box.
    Labour has never had a formal governing arrangement with the Greens, nor have the Greens had ministers around the Cabinet table.
    Cunliffe said Labour was happy to co-operate with the Greens on a case-by-case basis, for example on power, but Labour wants to keep its options open.
    Russel Norman said his party would still co-operate wherever it can. The Greens would focus on its strategy to lift its party vote to 15% so it could play a strong role in an alternative government.
    Source: radionz.co.nz

Jeez that Cunnlife gives me the creeps .....he was on National Radio this am .......so creepy had to change stations

Go to the Sports station .... OMG Richardson was on ....can't ber him but he better than Cunliffe

So over to Newstalk ZB ..... Jeez Hosking was on there raving about th Greens/labour as well

So radio off ..... will watch the Masters instead ......hope Key doesn't pop up at Amen Corner .....safe there has he out looking for photos with Wills ....no George today

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    My catholic/poverty experience was in Dublin and Kildare. I still start the day with a large bowl of porridge, milk but no sugar. According to tradition, Irish workers carried a "mealy bag" It contained rolled oats and when they felt a bit peckisk the took a good pinch and chewed it slowly like chewing gum. Seems you could go all day on that. Noticed an advertisement in today's paper. Comfortable cottage fully fenced. $150 per week in Dannevirke. now if I was a struggling benificiary with children in Auckland, that's where I would be going. No work there? well probably just as much proportionally as anywhere else. Good schools, good services, less crime etc.
    craic, there is more to your Dannevirke connection than you might think. Here's why - Last year TAG Oil drilled a test well called the Ngapaeruru-1 well east of Dannevirke and the TAG workers set up camp in town. That caused a mini boom for Dannevirke while they were there and they bought lots of money into their economy. Test results have been in for a while now and they will be pushing forward with the Ngapaeruru-1 well. The results were: Excellent mud gas shows, which indicate the presence of gas zones or soluble gas in oil. It's got the green light.
    When they start drilling the well again, there will be a permanent work force living in the area. craic, business & employment opportunities for Dannevirke and a low cost of living make the town look very rosy indeed in the near future and that makes your call, a great one.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzie View Post
    craic, there is more to your Dannevirke connection than you might think. Here's why - Last year TAG Oil drilled a test well called the Ngapaeruru-1 well east of Dannevirke and the TAG workers set up camp in town. That caused a mini boom for Dannevirke while they were there and they bought lots of money into their economy. Test results have been in for a while now and they will be pushing forward with the Ngapaeruru-1 well. The results were: Excellent mud gas shows, which indicate the presence of gas zones or soluble gas in oil. It's got the green light.
    When they start drilling the well again, there will be a permanent work force living in the area. craic, business & employment opportunities for Dannevirke and a low cost of living make the town look very rosy indeed in the near future and that makes your call, a great one.
    That guarantees that the Ak beneficiaries will drop any idea that they had to move. They might have jobs available there.

Legend

Cuzzie, again no sign of a spelling impediment in that post, you have been transformed..

Craic, to get back to our bet, did you need the funds lodged with a referee, or will you take my word for it, as I will yours? I intend to be posting on here for a few years yet, so I'm not likely to renege if I need to pay up.

Advanced Member

Happy with a Gentlemans aggreement.

Whats your chosen charities?