sharetrader
Page 331 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 2312813213273283293303313323333343353413814318311331 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 16077

if it was just an off the cuff sort of thing he said I'd understand him getting a bit confused

But this seems toi be a prepared speech (yes?) which to me sort of says he should have checked or thought nobody would notice .... but hey guys my family was brave so I come from good breeding.

Just trying to make himself look good .... like all hos other feats in life

Advanced Member

El Zorro - the same team of Labour supporter are hanging off John Keys every word. - waiting for him to make mistakes, that is politics on every side. My Grandfather joined the British Army in 1865 and and served in India for years along with two tours of duty to the South African war (the Zulu Wars) before he retired in 1885. He has two medals; a good conduct medal and a Suth African war medal and bar. Ididn't meet him or see his medals, he died in 1919 of old age. If DC can't get that right then any criticism is justified.
    Last edited by craic; 30-04-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Because he's a politician, that's why. They all are exposed to this trivial nonsense once they get up the ladder in their party; sad but true.
    FP that's true, unfortunately that's adversarial politics. However some stuff is not trivial and how John Keys political career didn't self destruct with the rather more grave issue of the Tranz Rail Shares I still after all these years find somewhat intriguing. What history will make of that episode will be interesting indeed.

On a lighter note I do have a military decoration (NZDF Medal)from my time in the NZ Army Reserve (1979-1990) as part of the national defence minister (wayne mapp)recognition of the contribution made by thousands of Reservists, thank you National

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post

Where is the elusive budget surplus? Plans for the bright future? Jobs? Is the govt so toothless that they have to wait for an extremely burdened Christchurch City Council to come up with plans to temporarily fix one of their suburbs from flooding, or make a hard decision? The fact that an ex-Labour MP is now mayor, just shows National's callousness in election year. They would rather hang her council out to dry.
    John Key arbitarilly dismissed the elected Environment Canterbury councillors and replaced them with picked commissioners. Most credit this "democratic" act with Nationals desire to turn Cantrbury into one vast dairy farm to assist with Bill's budget surplus. To hell with CH CH drinking water or the once magnificent braided rivers turned into polluted drains.
    As for the City Council they have assets which keep rates relatively low. Johns free market pals would rather have them sold off . Ch CH would then end up with over priced services like those provided by the power and communication companies.

Westerly

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Must have missed Shonkey's Tranz Rail shares issue. Got a link to a summary of facts?
    Suggest you go on to you tube, enter "john key tranz rail shares"

Advanced Member

How many people do you know who want to move to Christchurch?
    How many people do you know who want to move out of Christchurch?
    How many politician does it take to cause an earthquake?
    How many politicians does it take to Prevent an earthquake or Global warming for that matter?

Disclosure. I lived in Christchurch. I met my wife at the Latimer (Dance Hall for those too young to remember). When I decided to move to Napier with my beloved, I was told I was mad "because they get earthquakes there"

Advanced Member

As you suggest, no heavyweights - just deadweights. From memory his holding in rail was too small, in terms of his portfolio to notice. Look forward to the battle - previous skirmishes count for nothing. Any more bets out there?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    As you suggest, no heavyweights - just deadweights. From memory his holding in rail was too small, in terms of his portfolio to notice. Look forward to the battle - previous skirmishes count for nothing. Any more bets out there?
    Craic, suggest you hedge your bets with the TAB...

More John Key-isms. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...hn-Key-moments

Surely we must get some more before the elections?

Wikipedia covers some "controversies"
    ControversiesDuring his first term in office, National remained high in the polls and support for John Key was described by one commentator as 'stratospheric'.[33] In 2011, he was nicknamed "Teflon John", as nothing damaging to his reputation seemed to "stick" to him.[34] Coming up to the election in 2011, the gloss began to come off.[35] In October that year, Key was caught up in a controversy over the replacement of 34 three-year-old Government BMW limousines with new ones at a time of economic restraint. Initially, Key denied any knowledge of the plan although reports later surfaced showing that his office was aware of the deal. Key was accused of hypocrisy; he eventually apologised, calling it a 'sloppy' deal, effectively placing most of the blame on his chief of staff.[36][37]
    That same month, Key made a statement where he claimed Standard and Poor's had said that "if there was a change of Government, that downgrade would be much more likely". This was contradicted by S&P bringing Key's credibility into question.[38][39] National won the election but New Zealand's credit rating was subsequently downgraded anyway – by two different agencies – Standard and Poor's and Fitch Group.[40]
    The real turning point in the public's perception of Mr Key began with the teapot tapes. Just before the election in November 2011, a recording was made of a conversation between John Key and ACT Party candidate John Banks that they considered private – despite the fact that the meeting was held in a cafe and the media were invited to attend.[41] Mr Key made a complaint to the police and tried to compare the incident to illegal hacking in the News of the World scandal in Britain.[42] He refused to answer media questions about what was said and the incident dominated media discussion in the days before the election. The unreleased recording allegedly concerns the leadership of ACT and disparaging remarks about elderly New Zealand First supporters.[43]
    The event causing perhaps the most embarrassment to John Key was the arrest of Kim Dotcom and the subsequent revelations that the New Zealand Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) had illegally spied on Dotcom. As Prime Minister, John Key is directly responsible for the GCSB[44] which is not allowed to spy on New Zealand citizens – and Dotcom had been granted permanent residency. Three days later, the Prime Minister John Key apologised for the illegal spying. "I apologize to Mr Dotcom. I apologize to New Zealanders because every New Zealander…is entitled to be protected from the law when it comes to the GCSB, and we failed to provide that appropriate protection for him."[45] It subsequently came to light that deputy Prime Minister Bill English had been asked to sign a "ministerial certificate" suppressing details of the GCSB's involvement in the case while Mr Key was overseas – the only time this had been done in the last ten years.[46]
    In November 2012, Key told students at St Hilda's Collegiate in Dunedin that football star David Beckham was "thick as bat****". The comments were picked up by UK papers The Daily Mirror and The Sun.[47] On the same day, there was a storm in a teacup over Key's comments to a radio host that his shirt was "gay". "You’re munted mate, you’re never gonna make it, you’ve got that gay red top on there," he told host Jamie Mackay on RadioSport's Farming Show.[48] The following day, Lord of the Rings actor Sir Ian McKellen said in a blog entry that Key should "watch his language".[49]
    The potential fallout from Dotcom's arrest continued in December 2012 when the High Court ordered the GCSB to "confirm all entities" to which it gave information opening the door for Dotcom to sue for damages – against the spy agency and the police.[50] Later that month, John Key's rating as preferred PM dropped to 39% – the first time in his four years as prime minister that his rating slipped below 40%.[51]
    In March 2013 it emerged that Key has known Ian Fletcher, head of the GCSB, since they were at school, but denied the pair were friends. But in early April, it was revealed Key had personally picked Fletcher for the role at the GCSB, [52] encouraging Fletcher to apply for the role. Despite Key's office claiming Fletcher was "the best candidate for the job", Fletcher was in fact the only one interviewed.[53] Key said he hadn't originally mentioned the phone call because he "forgot".[54] Political commentator Bryce Edwards called it the "most appalling political management since he became Prime Minister back in 2008".[55] Key was critical of reporting on the GSCB saga, calling journalists "knuckleheads" in a radio interview.[56]
    In April 2013 whilst visiting Chinese president Xi Jinping in Beijing, Key made headlines by suggesting New Zealand would back any United States or Australian military action against North Korea.[57] The following day he backtracked, saying the chance of New Zealand troops entering North Korea was "so far off the planet".[58]
    Last edited by elZorro; 30-04-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Advanced Member

The only people who will read that last tirade - ex-wiki-rant are a few Labour committed supporters and Belgarion. John Key maintains his position as the countrys most popular politician, a position he will hold after the next election. Labours idea that the workers must be made to save more so that those in houses, with mortgages will have less to pay in interest is the weirdest concoction yet. If Labour want to progress they should announce that they will TAKE land compulsorily under current law. Pay the rateable value to the councils or owners. Build basic housing on the land WITHOUT any payments to anybody for permits or other charges as state advances did in the past and let Len Brown and other councils recover the cost of roading and services through general ratings. The houses can then be let to tenants or sold on according to demand. They don't have to be built in large blocks to create ghettos. Drive around any suburb, even close in in Auckland and there are patches of ground here there and everywhere even on public parks. For convenience houses could be built off site.

Craic
    regarding John Key, do you not think he has had a very lucky run with benign domestic economic conditions and an opposition which has been unable to gain traction. I am uncertain what his next term may bring, however he has a reckless tendency which may be emboldened in his third term. This may cause a misjudgement severe enough to sink his political career faster than the Lusitania off the Old Head of Kinsale.
    Wealthy backers, I predict, of National will also demand more payback in the Third term with respect to right wing economic policy agenda/ wish lists which he will struggle to push back.
    It will be a very interesting spectacle indeed.