sharetrader
Page 333 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 2332833233293303313323333343353363373433834338331333 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    yes, he's being groomed to take over from Key when he retires after 9 consecutive terms

Its still a very odd, risky decision to select someone so young and with that background who is going to attract that much controversy. Usually National candidate selections seem to be very considered and competitive affairs with no shortage of aspirants. This selection would, on face value, seem bereft of common sense and fraught with electoral risk. However, in the Southern states of the old confederacy they termed many Senate and Congressional seats " yellow dog" seats, meaning that even if the republicans stood a yellow dog as its candidate it would have been elected. Let us hope tradtional voting patterns/prejudice has not quite reached that level here, but then again you never know.
    Cigarette anyone?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    yes, he's being groomed to take over from Key when he retires after 9 consecutive terms

Belge's shonkey heart could not cope with that.

Legend

No-one has commented about Maurice Williamson's resignation from senior posts. This guy did:

Someone below commented that you'd get fired for this in the business world.

Quite the opposite - this is corporate cronyism at its finest. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. It is the sad state of greed-driven business ethics which is accepted all around the world.

National MPs come unstuck when they pretend you can still act like a dodgy businessman in government. They are accountable to us, but Key's standard is "if it ain't criminal, it don't matter if it's unethical, it's ok".

And so you get preferential loans to their former companies (Joyce with Mediaworks), greasing the palms of investment banks ($100 million just to conduct the asset sales), promoting your hubby's business interests (Collins with Oravida), defending wealthy shareholders against due process and NZers (Chorus prices), selling anti-worker legislation to the highest bidder (the Hobbit)... the list goes on and on...

National: "Screwing Kiwis to give Foreign Corporates a Brighter Future"
    Which reminded me of the double-speak from the National Party website pages. Here's another whopper.

Less debt, more jobs, strong stable government
    Here's the page that has this notable byline. https://www.national.org.nz/about/about-national

Not a bad phrase, if you have a quick look. But I wonder what is National's right to put this byline at the top of one of their web pages. We are much more in debt as a country since they took over the finances in 2008. There are less jobs also, fewer SMEs, and all the while the population has increased. Strong, stable govt is left for them to defend. Strong, implying that they have led us somewhere? Where? Stable in that our credit rating hasn't been reduced? That at the next election, National will have to scrabble to find some weird coalition partners like the leftovers of ACT, and the recently formed Conservative Party? So is there any truth in that byline at all?

I think not.

there is also another view......
    the nats had to "give" concession to the maori party via the massive tobacco tax that has been installed over the last several years,
    and alot of smokers are middle income tradespeople etc ...... and they a very pevved with the tax while our hospitals are filled with the obese
    and diabetics. so bringing in a tobacco lobbyist as a future mp shows the sign that the nats are happy to walk away from the massive tax grab
    being instilled on 600,000 kiwi smokers...... with the vast majority of this tax grab going into the consolidated fund.
    Treasury has already stated that smokers pay far in excess of their health costs while obesity and diabetes is now the number one
    health issue in NZ and not taxed in any way. This means the working class smoker is subsidizing the obese and funding the up and coming surplus.

So the surplus when it comes..... will be the tobacco surplus.

While the taxpayer...... the 60% overweight kiwis in this land get free medical help at the expense of smokers.

The nats feel strong enough to go it alone at this upcoming election and have subtly told voters that we dont support tobacco tax extortion.

600,000 smokers getting ripped off thanks to the maori party.

WE ALL KNOW THAT FOLKS VOTE FROM THEIR POCKET.

a very smart move in my opinion.
    im surprised winni...... a smoker himself hasnt thought of pandering to the 600,000 smokers in NZ

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    No-one has commented about Maurice Williamson's resignation from senior posts.
    I just watched him on Campbell Live and am disgusted. He should not even stand for re-election.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I just watched him on Campbell Live and am disgusted. He should not even stand for re-election.
    Yes he should stand. Whether or not he is a good man, a fit candidate, or something else is up to the people who are in his electorate. Judgemental blather by anonymous lefties on this site means nothing - you get one vote and one vote only. If he was standing as a last candidate it would be different.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    my guess is he wasn't/isn't going to stand so fell on his sword quickly.

I don't actually have that big an issue with what he did. Ministers often contact government entities in relation to constituents. He wasn't from his electorate but he was covered by his portfolio and he had had official dealings with him. The issue is it was domestic violence and he is the accuses which is a big no-no even though he is innocent till proven guilt. Given the nature of the question, he should have told him to get his lawyer to ask and to contact him only if they weren't forth coming.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    my guess is he wasn't/isn't going to stand so fell on his sword quickly.

I don't actually have that big an issue with what he did. Ministers often contact government entities in relation to constituents. He wasn't from his electorate but he was covered by his portfolio and he had had official dealings with him. The issue is it was domestic violence and he is the accuses which is a big no-no even though he is innocent till proven guilt. Given the nature of the question, he should have told him to get his lawyer to ask and to contact him only if they weren't forth coming.
    There were a couple of issues from that interview that I did not like. I have no problem for a constituency MP advocating on behalf of their constituents and in fact any good MP should actively do so. But he wasn't advocating on behalf of a constituent.

But when a Minister of the Crown interferes (whether real or perceived) with a Police investigation, that's another story. It also came out in the interview that Williamson recommended Mr Liu buy a bach, which he did, "that backs onto" Williamson's beach property at Paunui. Williamson also did some handywork at Mr Liu's bach for him. So now they are bach neighbours, this becomes much more serious as it appears he has been interfering with Police on behalf of a neighbour who is well known to him.

I find it incredible that an experienced MP would make such a stupid mistake and believe he should not stand again.

The voters in the street in Pakuranga want him to stand .....their Maurice not as bad as Collins as she hasn't been sacked so why pick on your Maurice

Legend

Not sure why all this is happening, months after the phone call by MW, but it does open up the electorate a bit for Colin Craig. MW could also be brought back into the fold after the public has cooled down over the issue. He did step over the line, it's written up in their operational manuals for MPs.

Since there is a bit of money involved in the latest National Party problem, an article by Gareth Morgan caught my eye. Someone else likes the idea of an annual tax on the wealthy.

http://www.interest.co.nz/kiwisaver/...-new-blockbust