sharetrader
Page 588 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 8848853857858458558658758858959059159259863868810881588 ... LastLast
Results 5,871 to 5,880 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Banksie

What I find frustrating is the lack of engagement from National supporters when issues are highlighted.
    I couldn't agree more Sgt Pepper. In fact in the run up to the election I got the same response from a National candidate that I met. It is all "no policies but look how good we are doing" and responses to arguments are just token sound bites like "CGT is too complicating".

Regarding the flag:

In my opinion JK is fishing for a legacy. I get the feeling that - at the end of the day New Zealanders don't really have an appetite for changing the flag.

Banned

No need to change the flag just like no need for a CGT.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Banksie View Post
    I couldn't agree more Sgt Pepper. In fact in the run up to the election I got the same response from a National candidate that I met. It is all "no policies but look how good we are doing" and responses to arguments are just token sound bites like "CGT is too complicating".

[/I]
    Why fix or change something if it is not broken? National do have policies... the ones that are currently in play. They do not need to come up with something new.. the are the incumbent. Labour on the other hand would want to differentiate themselves from National... thus need policies.

Guru

In my opinion JK is fishing for a legacy. I get the feeling that - at the end of the day New Zealanders don't really have an appetite for changing the flag.
    I think Kiwis would be happy with a change of flag but I dont think the silver fern on black is ideal for a national flag - better kept as the unofficial national flag. The union Jack is no longer relevant so it would be good to get rid of that. Something with the Southern Cross, which kiwis to identify with and a background colour that isn't black would be good - we alos identify with blue being water..

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    ...just like no need for a CGT.
    Why? Let me help you out here.

In 2010 the Tax Working Group (TWG) said the following:
    Base-broadening is required to address some of the existing biases in the tax system and to improve its efficiency and sustainability. Base-broadening is also required if there are to be reductions in corporate and personal tax rates while maintaining tax revenue levels.
    Followed by:
    The most comprehensive option for base-broadening with respect to the taxation of capital is to introduce a comprehensive capital gains tax (CGT). While some view this as a viable option for base-broadening, most members of the TWG have significant concerns over the practical challenges arising from a comprehensive CGT and the potential distortions and other efficiency implications that may arise from a partial CGT.

As I read this the TWG said CGT is an option if the practical challenges could be addressed.

Earlier this year Ernst & Young advised:
    A capital gains tax in New Zealand may be just a matter of time. The arguments around shifting investment away from housing, raising revenue and perceptions of fairness aren’t going away. And Labour and the Greens’ support across successive electoral cycles adds to that conclusion.
    Start preparing now. Maximising the opening value of your asset portfolio when the tax comes in will minimise any future tax.

In my view the overhaul of the IRD systems will simplify the collection of CGT, CGT will be no more complex than our current system of taxing "certain" capital gains, and CGT is coming, sooner or later, so be prepared.
    Last edited by Banksie; 30-09-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Why fix or change something if it is not broken? National do have policies... the ones that are currently in play. They do not need to come up with something new.. the are the incumbent. Labour on the other hand would want to differentiate themselves from National... thus need policies.
    Fair point.

Regarding the flag:

I have the same feeling too. But in addition, could it be an attempt by him to help unify NZ by creating it's own symbolic identity by the possibility of removing the Union Jack?

Even further than that, if a change was voted for, could there then be a follow-on thought that the enactment of the new flag could accompany the creation of 'New Zealand Day' to, perhaps, replace 'Waitangi Day'?

If so, could this be worth it for approx $5 per taxpayer per referendum? Hmmm... all conjecture from me and personally not really fussed either way if I'm honest with myself. I see pros and cons either way.

Nevertheless, if a change is enacted, then JK would have that legacy. And somehow I think a legacy such as that would give him a strong sense of achievement.
    Last edited by Vaygor1; 30-09-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Slight clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    I think Kiwis would be happy with a change of flag but I dont think the silver fern on black is ideal for a national flag - better kept as the unofficial national flag. The union Jack is no longer relevant so it would be good to get rid of that. Something with the Southern Cross, which kiwis to identify with and a background colour that isn't black would be good - we alos identify with blue being water..
    Yeah - I am being a little disingenuous, here debating for the sake of it. I actually like the idea of a new flag. Does seem an awful waste of $20 million though. (BTW are these real figures or just a guess?)

What about if they had the design competition first, then a referendum with 2 questions.

Do you want a new flag?

Which of these 3 flags do you prefer?

(Or would people vote down a new flag just because they don't like any of the 3 options?)

Edit: Better yet, forget the referendum, invite sponsors, and put it on reality TV My Flag Rules or New Zealand's Best Home Flagger . Would probably get a better voter turnout.
    Last edited by Banksie; 30-09-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Banned

Banksie I already pay 50c in every dollar I earn through direct taxes including ACC Levy's then if you add on all the indirect taxes plus operating expenses it goes to 60c in every dollar minimum so I need a CGT like a hole in the head and I'm sure many others feel the same way, saying other taxes will reduce if a CGT is introduced is just blind hope and wishful thinking, let's not be sheeple and follow the likes of Aussie.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Banksie I already pay 50c in every dollar I earn through direct taxes including ACC Levy's then if you add on all the indirect taxes plus operating expenses it goes to 60c in every dollar minimum so I need a CGT like a hole in the head and I'm sure many others feel the same way, saying other taxes will reduce if a CGT is introduced is just blind hope and wishful thinking, let's not be sheeple and follow the likes of Aussie.
    Base-broadening is also required if there are to be reductions in corporate and personal tax rates while maintaining tax revenue levels.

I didn't say this the Tax Working Group did. If you are unhappy with the current state of your tax affairs how do you suggest the government broaden the base and reduce the burden?