sharetrader
Page 698 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 1985986486886946956966976986997007017027087487981198 ... LastLast
Results 6,971 to 6,980 of 16077
    Dilettante

DYTR,
    you know what Winston First said was a suggestion he could somehow interfere with the currency. Dumb. He is a nutter but people like this sort of rubbish and I think he will win. A perfect example of a useless politician !
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    I don't agree with all of Winston's ideas & I'm sure some of them are just attention grabbers.
    But he's going to be hell of a lot better than what we have had until now in Northland which amounts to neglect.
    It just shows how bad National have got that despite some hair brained policy & a lot that is good as well to be fair people by the thousands will vote for him. I will freely admit many are voting against National rather than voting for NZF. I would suggest that's a bigger statement to John Key than anything else.

I do love the way MVT you love speaking for others & I mean fictional others. The 'we' & that people may vote differently to what they say publicly etc. Vivid imagination there. You should right a novel, or perhaps you have already started here. One of Winston's other policies is to increase the use of rail for freight, an idea that has a lot of validity & it will connect with that port you didn't think existed !

Anyone seen any polls of late?
    Last edited by iceman; 22-03-2015 at 11:19 PM.

"Tell you what MVT, Winston will probably have a great 70th birthday party with his extended family, later next month. The backdrop will be him having just handed National a record defeat up north. Not too shabby at all. "

Minus his ex-wife of course, mother of his children and grandchildren, (and probably a number of them will stay away in support of her) after a certain well publicized togetherness in a Wellington taxi cab with a Parliamentary secretary some years ago....

It will be quite a small event....and only chain smokers and heavy drinkers welcome....

Never afraid to get personal eh MVT, says far more about you than anyone else. Imagination still on overdrive as well. How do you know what goes on in someone else's marriage or private life? Keep your grubby little fantasies to yourself.
    ICEMAN, I didn't see what you are referring to & yes agree below the belt if you will pardon the pun.
    National though have run for the most part a negative campaign & to be fair most of it not coming directly from Osborne or Joyce but either who they wheel out from WGTN or young Nats etc, so its a little hypocritical to pull out one instance, I can name probably 5-10 that have been repeated over & over.
    Re the ccy thing, it will never happen so I'm not worried about it.
    Useless, we know what useless is, we have had it for 40 years. Super Winnie will be far from useless.
    Look at Tauranga its thriving & sure there are a lot of actors for that & he is certainly one of them.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Speaking of nutters, looks like Nats state asset sales of social housing is in tatters after the Salvation Army rejected the government's offer.
    From day one the Salvo's were pushing back on what was being proposed. What were the Nats thinking, continually promoting the policy using Salvo's as their banner partner, when they had never bought in! But according to the Nats. there program is on track!
    They are delusional. Now they are looking at Maori, I think they tried that 150 years ago, for blankets & muskets.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

Speaking of nutters, looks like Nats state asset sales of social housing is in tatters after the Salvation Army rejected the government's offer.
    From day one the Salvo's were pushing back on what was being proposed. What were the Nats thinking, continually promoting the policy using Salvo's as their banner partner, when they had never bought in! But according to the Nats. there program is on track!
    They are delusional. Now they are looking at Maori, I think they tried that 150 years ago, for blankets & muskets.
    This is not a problem for the Nats, they will now be able to sell a few state houses each at a bargain price to anyone who says they're behind the idea of social housing. Many landlords of course, fit the bill, don't they? While the State might have been slow at repainting and doing up the houses and flats, they do have dedicated teams doing it, all around the country. And they are very quick to pick up on slow rent-payers, so that things don't get out of hand. No worries, all this can be done equally as well by the market, efforts will still be made to keep rents affordable, and tardy renters won't be pushed out into cars and garages.

Bryce Edwards has a collection of by-election cartoons. All very good.

Older comment from Tim Watkin.

http://liberation.typepad.com/libera...-election.html
    Last edited by elZorro; 23-03-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    "Tell you what MVT, Winston will probably have a great 70th birthday party with his extended family, later next month. The backdrop will be him having just handed National a record defeat up north. Not too shabby at all. "

Minus his ex-wife of course, mother of his children and grandchildren, (and probably a number of them will stay away in support of her) after a certain well publicized togetherness in a Wellington taxi cab with a Parliamentary secretary some years ago....

It will be quite a small event....and only chain smokers and heavy drinkers welcome....

"Earlier on Q+A Prime Minister John Key said that Mr Peters doesn’t have any chance of winning the Northland by-election"

I have put the Sav in the fridge for the celebratory glass late on Saturday. Poor old John, all he has got to look forward to is a large helping of humble pie

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    "Earlier on Q+A Prime Minister John Key said that Mr Peters doesn’t have any chance of winning the Northland by-election"

I have put the Sav in the fridge for the celebratory glass late on Saturday. Poor old John, all he has got to look forward to is a large helping of humble pie
    I will raise a glass too, Sgt Pepper, if the voting goes the way I think it will. TV3 video yesterday.

Colin James's Otago Daily Times column for 24 March 2015

A by-election can have some meanings

Some of the most thoughtful political writing these days is coming from -- Peter Dunne.

Dunne, who leads, and is, United Future in Parliament, has been sounding more like he did in 1994, when debating breaking with Labour. He then aimed to be a centre force in politics, perhaps even a power-broking Prime Minister between Labour and National in the impending MMP politics of coalition. He wanted to do that from a middling-liberal perspective.

Multiple mergers, separations and erosions later, United Future is down to 0.2 per cent and Dunne's Ohariu seat is a limp overhang. But Dunne had, when dumped for a time as minister in 2013, started putting down thoughts in a weekly "Dunne speaks" email. He has explored a wide range of topics, both of the day and deeper, usually in a rational, liberal tone, mostly nearer National than Labour but, recently, more often nearer Labour than National.

In January he lamented prejudice, instancing "repressive" Saudi Arabia. Last week he argued the need to address the "issue of medicinal cannabis ... in the light of new and emerging evidence ... against the three pillars of compassion, proportion and innovation".

Recently he has fundamentally differed with John Key's National party on going to war in Iraq and on changing the consent criteria under the Resource Management Act (RMA).

Dunne's differences on major issues are one reason National panicked over the Northland by-election earlier this month, especially because since 2011 Te Ururoa Flavell, now Maori party leader, has sounded far more Labour than National and so does his new coattail list MP, Maarama Fox. They, too, oppose the Iraq war and the RMA criteria rewrite.

On the official interpretation of the law, if Winston Peters were to win the Northland seat, National's seat tally would drop from 60 to 59 and ACT's David Seymour would no longer by himself deliver an automatic majority for deregulatory measures. If Peters resigned as a list MP, New Zealand First would go from 11 to 12.

So some of National's programme would stall or need renegotiation.

In the past some in National have mooted a legal challenge in such circumstances. A rationale could be that MMP distributes seats by the party vote and an electorate vote in one seat on local sentiment should not override the nation's decision last September. A counter-argument could be that the people of Northland feel neglected by governments and parties and might validly try to secure some leverage. Moreover, MMP allows parties to keep all electorate seats they win, whatever the party vote.

Of course, this is all speculative. Northland has been a very safe seat -- 9300-vote majority in 2014 -- with no recent history of maverick voting, as, for example, Social Credit leader Bruce Beetham's strong second in 1975 in safe Rangitikei before filching it off National in a 1978 by-election.

But the Northland region has had a maverick past, even electing a one-term Social Credit MP in 1966. That indicated some estrangement from the political establishment. It is poor and stressed. Populist Peters thrives on stressed, estranged voters.

And longtime far north MP John Carter used to say he owed much of his majority to Maori who chose not to be on the Maori roll. Peters can (sort-of) play a Maori card.

Two polls early this month suggested substance to Peters' claim he can win. National panicked, promising bridges and then much more and parking a campaign team there.

That broke a cardinal rule of warfare and politics: if you panic, don't communicate it. The smell of panic emboldens the enemy and, in this case, wavering voters.

If Peters were to win, he would gain influence when Dunne and Flavell demur. If he loses, he will remain the 70-year-old spare wheel voters chose him to be last September. Part of Peters' predicament is arranging a creditable exit (perhaps now with help from Labour renegade Shane Jones) which he might have achieved had Key needed him for a majority last September.

Whatever happens, Labour is the loser. Andrew Little made that inevitable by in effect telling Labour voters to back Peters.
    A distant third will not look good, even in a by-election in a safe National seat Labour could never win.

But it probably won't much affect Labour's trajectory. This is very early in the electoral cycle and other factors (as noted here last week) will be far more important. And the party will owe a decent 2017 list place to its junked candidate, Willow-Jean Prime. Her political future has brightened.

That is more than you can say for National. Whatever the by-election result, Peters has highlighted the marginality of its 2014 win and its limited range of reliable future support.

And it is more than you can say for Dunne. He might be there in 2018, perhaps even continuing to swap sides, as middling liberals can: Labour-National-Labour-National so far. But he might not.

Still, Dunne has shown he can do intelligent, readable commentary. That is a rarity among MPs.

Colin James, Synapsis Ltd, 04-384 7030, 021-438 434, P O Box 9494, Marion Square, Wellington 6141,
    ColinJames@synapsis.co.nz, website www.ColinJames.co.nz

Last edited by elZorro; 24-03-2015 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks El Zorro interesting read.
    Its all getting a bit nasty on social media up here.
    Looks like the Nats are getting more than desperate.
    Bad losers already?

Legend

Thanks El Zorro interesting read.
    Its all getting a bit nasty on social media up here.
    Looks like the Nats are getting more than desperate.
    Bad losers already?
    We'll have to wait and see, Daytr. Found this cartoon while looking for another one. Note the desolate landscape here. Slater piggybacking on Key. Brilliant.
    Last edited by elZorro; 24-03-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Dilettante

Had a friend around for dinner last night, who is definitely not a National supporter. He goes regularly to Northland to work on the Te Ahu community centre and other community related facilities He speaks highly of Mark Osborne and said people in the Far North are very proud of the community centre. His view on this latest media bash-up of Mark Osborne is that it will backfire on Winston !