sharetrader
Page 789 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 2896897397797857867877887897907917927937998398891289 ... LastLast
Results 7,881 to 7,890 of 16077
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    This Dr Clark. Hadn't heard much about him so did a bit of research.

Has a passion for an equal and just society, my sort of man.

Been famous for being the promoter of the Mondayisation Bill and was the celebrant at Robertson's wedding. Bad marks for being a Parker advisor though.

Articles seem to describe him as a 'Smart cookie' and Labours 'keenest bean' but one comment is why does Labour want another "well dressed liberal leftie'

Has some pretty high profile roles in Labour caucus - where is he in their rankings?
    Good point, I should know all about him, he's the opposition spokesperson for SMEs. He's no. 26 on the list, ranked no. 10 in the party.

http://campaign.labour.org.nz/24_nov...t_bench_lineup

He's held Dunedin North well, for two elections. David Clark does seem to be well qualified, W69.

There was a Gestetner at our rural primary school too, but it was at the end of its tether and was probably replaced by lots of fundraising soon after I got there. I remember the headmaster covered in ink after working it. We had an old film projector too, which liked to burn holes in film when it jammed up. Kids these days, they have no idea.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I think there was one at school .... were they those things that went clackity clack and round and round and made copies.

Do you still use log tables macduffy?
    No, log tables are a bit too modern for me. I'm still mastering my abacus.

Article on interest.co.nz about that right wing faction of the Labour Party wanting tosetvup a think tank or something.

Couldn't really care about that but one of Comments I feel aligned with

by Mike B | Fri, 12/06/2015 - 13:47

The Labour party died in the late 70's in my book. They have only gotten worse since then.

Once Winstone retires or dies that will be the end of NZFirst

If the Greens don't shine under their new leadership JK will rule forever

Who's left to vote for?

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    No, log tables are a bit too modern for me. I'm still mastering my abacus.

Had a clean out the other day, found my old slide rule ..... Jeez it still works .....amazing technology back in those days

TPPA struggling in the US congress.
    Strange how this is the will of a Democrat president not supported by his own party for many of the same reasons people fear here, but supported of course by the big business orientated Republicans. Free Trade agreement or Free access for multinationals to do what they have done in the US already & cripple the political system with lobbying & corporate agenda. National are already heading down the path of the US model with corporatizing one thing after another. Do we really want to keep going down this path that has economically crippled the US government & seen the likes of corporates supplying troops & military contracts?

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...pass-u-s-house
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Good point, I should know all about him, he's the opposition spokesperson for SMEs. He's no. 26 on the list, ranked no. 10 in the party.

http://campaign.labour.org.nz/24_nov...t_bench_lineup

He's held Dunedin North well, for two elections. David Clark does seem to be well qualified, W69.
    He's a good MP, but holding Dunedin North is no momentous achievement. They vote labour regardless of candidate, with the one exception when high profile, Richard Walls won it for National from the most hopeless candidate Labour ever promoted; a butcher named Brian Arnold.

This latest people smuggling allegation could spell the end for Tony Abbott as PM of Australia. If true its absolutely shocking behavior. The recent boat of refugees were reportedly heading to NZ. Did anyone find this strange considering they were in the north Java sea?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=11464796
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    This latest people smuggling allegation could spell the end for Tony Abbott as PM of Australia. If true its absolutely shocking behavior.
    Perhaps the issue will spell doom for Mr Abbot. But IMO it is much more likely that the voting public will be happy that the current approach is working. IIRC there was a poll on the general issue of the people smuggler "business model" in which there was very strong support for stopping it.

It is very rough on those who paid for passage and did not get illegal entry to another country. But if the alternative is being deposited on Manus Island or the like at Australia's ongoing cost and significant time to resolve individual issues, who can blame the Australian Government for taking a different option. If they actually did.

If Australia does not take a hardnosed attitude to illegal immigrants, well there is a large restive population in our region. Seems there are up to half a mill hopefuls waiting in Libya for passage to Europe. We could easily see something similar in our region.

Artemis, if this is true Australia is financing people smuggling. i.e. the smugglers are paid by the refugees to get to Australia & then Australia is paying them to be returned. Its abhorrent in my opinion. I'm not saying its an easy thing to deal with, but this is not the answer. Boat people smuggling is completely blown out of proportion in Australia and its used as a fear mongering issue. Compare the numbers to those coming by plane, they don't even compare but you never hear about it. Australia under Howard denied Red Cross access to detention camps, I'm not sure if that still the case. People need to be treated humanely & not held in a prison that we wouldn't hold criminals in for years on end, including children, or families separated.
    So I guess what I'm saying is Australia needs to clean up its act in regards processing illegal immigrants full stop & this latest example is even worse than the current situation. There is obviously a massive refugee problem created by the conflict in Syria, with millions displaced, however we are more concerned with ISIS than doing anything about that. When I say we I mean the US led alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    He's a good MP, but holding Dunedin North is no momentous achievement. , with the one exception when high profile, Richard Walls won it for National from the most hopeless candidate Labour ever promoted; a butcher named Brian Arnold.
    FP
    "They vote labour regardless of candidate"

I guess the same observation could be made of the Clutha Southland electorate. When voters had the choice between a 30yrs old female physician and mother of two chose a 22year old male whose sole work experience was a brief stint marketing cigarettes .