sharetrader
Page 810 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3107107608008068078088098108118128138148208609101310 ... LastLast
Results 8,091 to 8,100 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    So were you saying communism doesn't work? Or that communists don't work? Very different meanings.
    Thatcher was implying they don't actually work and rely on others to pay their way which is utter nonsense.
    She put most of them out of work! haha
    That communism doesn't work is blatantly obvious. Referring to communists ... I guess there are lazy as well as hard working people in any believe system and / or religion (which communism basically is). However - a system which rewards lazy people over hard working people by paying everybody the same rewards obviously attracts more of the lazy category - simple rule of the market.

Similar situation as with the Catholic church - a job which (at least used to) give easy and trusted access to vulnerable children used to attract an unproportional high number of pedophiles.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Mate re the Catholic church & pedophiles, that's a very long bow you are drawing there & has no relevance. I wont even go there as its quite ridiculous in relation to the topic at hand.

Your rule applies to both extremes.
    A system that rewards crooks & greed will only encourage more crooks & more greed.
    And unfortunately that's the path National is taking us down.
    A US model that is flawed in regards corporate ownership of government policy, greed & corruption.
    Some of these companies openly profit from war.
    Not so long ago you would have been hung for that.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Your rule applies to both extremes.
    A system that rewards crooks & greed will only encourage more crooks & more greed.
    And unfortunately that's the path National is taking us down.
    A US model that is flawed in regards corporate ownership of government policy, greed & corruption.
    Some of these companies openly profit from war.
    Not so long ago you would have been hung for that.
    Whow ... and you are telling me I am drawing a long bow?

Crooks (and greed) are unfortunately resident in all political systems - just one of the less desirable human traits. Some of the worst murderers and crooks I can think of have been communist (like Stalin, Mao Zedong, Ulbricht) - but yes, they are not alone ... Mugabe, Hitler, Milosevic and many others are or have been clearly of the same calibre. Putin is on the way to join them ... All of them are responsible for killing many thousands and most of them for killing millions of innocent people. Crime does not know political colours.

Mentioning National (or any other democratic western party) in this context is clearly a gross misjudgement of yours - surely you can't be be that ideological blinded - can you?

BTW - who would have hung me for what? Could you enlarge a bit more on this subject ... sounds like I might have an interest in this subject.
    ----

I wasn't referring to murderous dictators or regimes, I was referring to capitalist greed at its extreme where bankers & the likes are allowed to get away with fleecing billions in the markets. How many went to jail from the GFC or for the bank manipulation in markets? Its you who made the leap to murder etc. so its your bow your drawing, not mine. You can probably add G W Bush to the list as well while you are at it though.
    And its not a long bow in that regard where National are leading us. Down a path of corporatization of government services ala the US where corporations have massive influence if not control of government policy to benefit themselves. In fact its very relevant.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

EZ, a government surplus

Perception is reality after all.

No broken promises.

All fine on the western front as they say

Spose Lab need to talk about real things now?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    EZ, a government surplus

Perception is reality after all.

No broken promises.

All fine on the western front as they say

Spose Lab need to talk about real things now?
    Ok, but it's only for 11 months, I'm surprised they managed to get even close, let alone a surplus. Imagine the spreadsheet columns that will have been juggled around to help make this happen.

I have been meaning to take a look at the Treasury figures for the tax take, this shows up the spikes from prov tax, it'll be really interesting for the next few months. One has to dig the data out of their spreadsheets, but it's there.

Here it is, the historical tax outturn data from Treasury. Each month the tax figures come in and are collated, refunds taken off, and the final accurate figure is the consolidated tax. I've charted each month since they did it a certain way, from sometime in 2002. See the dip from the GFC, this is when National came to office. Whatever changes they made to the tax dates, now it's much more peaky than it was. There are now two tall peaks close together, followed by a big dip. We're heading for one of those in June 2015, as the last point is from May 2015, just announced. So since there is a few billion dollars difference between a peak and a low, it's no wonder National were cunning enough to have a press release now. There might not be enough spare surplus from 11 months to cover the 12 months. That would be sad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elZorro; 19-09-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Legend

David Hargreaves seems to be thinking the same as me on the new R&D policy, but has developed it further. Read the comments, it gets worse.

http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/76...ay+9+July+2015

I would suggest that 2016 & 17 will be the ones to watch in regards who will be forming the next government.

National's relaxation of bio boarder controls causes another dangerous immigrant to reach our shores & in this case I believe supermarket shelves?
    Poisonous spiders this time! When are they going to learn ?
    National are putting at risk NZs almost unique position of not having the nasties (things that can kill you!) that the other world has, let alone the risk to our horticultural industry with the recent infestations of fruit fly.
    Irresponsible government.

EZ, In the UK the Conservatives have just portrayed themselves as the [B]party of working people [B]by declaring in last nights Budget that a living wage will be introduced from next year. (£7.20 an hour for people over the age of 25)

Jeez, conservatives looking after the needy. The last NZ budget had things one wouldn't expect from National as well

Do you sense CT behind this 'change of heart' in the UK and NZ?

If Nats become the party of the working people where's Labour going to position themselves?

(Even the Conservatives in the UK don't seem to mind hijacking Labour policy from the last election)
    Last edited by winner69; 09-07-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I can't help but finding the above collection of bad and foul mouthing of everything NZ depressing. EZ, looks like you finally managed to infect daytr. Pity that.

I guess what I don't understand is your strategy of how you guys (and presumably gals) on the Left ever want to change the government? Can you give me some good examples where the people have been that stupid that they voted for the bad-mouthers? Nobody likes Cassandra, not even the people of Sparta.

If you want (I am sure, the Lefties don't) to look at a bit more balanced view of our current economic situation - Great (and balanced) expert opinions in today's press: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/7006...dailyheadlines

Our current economic situation is not too bad it looks, but sure - there are always issues and threads. Just don't understand why the people who are desperately trying to talk us into a crisis think that anybody would want them to run the country after they talked it down (if they manage to do that).

Daytr, you claim from time to time that you are not a Leftie ... but funnily you seem to think that the government is responsible for everything. And hey - at the end this is what being left is all about. The individual is responsible for nothing and the government for everything. The government has to feed and nourish neglected children, the government has to pay the poor (no matter why they are poor), the government gives and takes. It is responsible for any economic crisis anywhere in the world - and apparently as well for any biothreat which might enter our isolated shores. I guess the government is as well responsible for NZ farmers extorting their own land due to ridiculous biosecurity restrictions (did anybody notice that milk and cheese hardly came down in price despite the international milk price in the doldrums - this is the flip side of biosecurity).

I guess it would all be funny, if it wouldn't be better for our country to have an effective and respectable opposition contributing to solving the countries issues and capable of taking over the reigns. Unfortunately - if what the Lefties on this thread are producing is representative for the quality of our opposition, than I am afraid we will have to live for a long time with a National led government.
    ----