sharetrader
Page 843 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3437437938338398408418428438448458468478538939431343 ... LastLast
Results 8,421 to 8,430 of 16077
    Advanced Member

80% of the accommodation in Singapore is publically owned and developed by the Housing and Development Board and they control the rules in that percentage of the country. The units contain shops, recreation facilities and a lot more. Private apartments for the other 20% are often shoebox size. My son stayed in one recently with an in-law who lives the temporarily. He - the in-law - is one of the large transient foreign population who represent companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    'No Indians No PRCs': Singapore's rental discrimination problem bbc news

They also have advertisements for renting apartments in which the owner can specify which ethnic group is not welcome to apply e.g. " no PRCs" ( no peoples republic of china welcome) Presumably your bus driver didn't mention that.

Veteran novice

Hi craic. I'm surprised to read that 80% of Singapore's accommodation is publically owned. Developed by the state, certainly, but when I worked there in the early 80's the trend was for Singaporeans to buy these, often through their contributions to the fairly hefty compulsory (state-sponsored) super scheme. A long time ago - I've forgotten the details! - but surprised, nevertheless to learn that this is no longer the case.

Veteran novice

Duplicated post!

Advanced Member

You are quite right but. Repayment of mortgage is often intergenerational and I suspect that "ownership" is a looser term than it is here. The complex is more important than its components. Try selling to an Indian who wants to live next to his brother[ and it will be a no. No one is allowed to be homeless now or unemployed. They are given a job and a residence. You never see a uniformed policeman on the street - it is all done with cameras. All the cars appear to be new - ten year registration is required at purchase. QUOTE=macduffy;584964]Hi craic. I'm surprised to read that 80% of Singapore's accommodation is publically owned. Developed by the state, certainly, but when I worked there in the early 80's the trend was for Singaporeans to buy these, often through their contributions to the fairly hefty compulsory (state-sponsored) super scheme. A long time ago - I've forgotten the details! - but surprised, nevertheless to learn that this is no longer the case.[/QUOTE]

Veteran novice

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    In agreeing with Mr Yule you may be 'jumping into bed with the devil' Don yule, not only played rugby for Hawkes Bay but he was for many years, the President of the National Party in the province. His son is now hell bent on amalgamating the region into the same sort of mess as Auckland and I am sure he would like to be the local Len brown.
    It was the son of Don Yule I think Craic, here's an article about that.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay...ectid=11461720

He does seem to talk some common sense, maybe he votes Labour, but the important thing is that the regional economy and employment opportunities seem to be high on his agenda.

Advanced Member

No doubt about it, I knew Don well and his son. As to voting Labour, he's an intelligent man.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    No doubt about it, I knew Don well and his son. As to voting Labour, he's an intelligent man.
    I see Stuart Nash had the opposite opinion on amalgamation while electioneering. Mayor of Napier doesn't agree either. Regarding your other slight? I know a few people who vote Labour who are also apparently intelligent, in fact they are fairly high up the academic tree. Perhaps too high to be of much practical use away from a desk, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I am flattered westerly, but not sure whether I can claim the idea of housing people in apartment buildings as mine;

Have a chat with people living in Singapore, Taipei, London, Frankfurt, New York - many of them are quite happy about living in an apartment building. And many of them stay there basically all their life (not because they have to, but because they want to). One quality measure could be how often people move around ... many of the apartment dwellers in first world countries stay for many years at the same place, while many people in NZ just keep moving around and regularly exchanging their often cold, moist and draughty wooden boxes every other year against another cold, moist and draughty wooden box. Only people winning in this game are real estate agents.

Are you a real estate agent - westerly?
    All the cities you apart from Frankfurt are densely populated and possibly the only affordable accomodation is an apartment usually rented. The chances of escaping for many is probably nil.
    Most of the moving around in NZ is either work related, or trying to move up the property ladder, something encouraged by the policies of the present Govt.
    As for wooden boxes I have lived in one for thirty odd years. It is neither cold or draughty and most houses fitting your description can be easily improved with insulation and a bit of effort. However large numbers are rentals and a Govt reluctant to improve it's own housing stock will do little to push landlords into improvements.
    Social problems are common in most older apartment blocks all round the world.
    I am with Daytr as far as population growth is concerned.
    My own opinion is relying on an increasing population for growth is unrealistic and it is basically up to the populations of individual countries to sort out their problems. NZ or any other country has no obligation to house the world or feed the world, only to assist where possible.

Obviously I am not a real estate agent but you may have an interest in pushing apartment living. If you are looking for an apartment I recommend the block in your link that has communal kitchen facilities etc.

westerly

I would suggest of you want NZ or Auckland to emulate Taipei, Singapore etc then move there.
    If you want to change NZ so much & make it like the rest of the world, over crowded, perhaps you are just living in the wrong country.
    I think there is room for more urbanization of Auckland i.e. more apartment blocks in the CBD, however we don't need more people, simple as that.
    Just stop the urban sprawl. The roads in Auckland are already overloaded & more concentration of people outside the CBD is only going to make it worse.
    The way we are going the population of NZ will be over 5 Million in less than 10 years!
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.