sharetrader
Page 852 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3527528028428488498508518528538548558568629029521352 ... LastLast
Results 8,511 to 8,520 of 16077

Craic, what do you think the TPPA will gain for NZ?
    Do you really think Aussie will suddenly allow NZ apples in?
    Canada & the US will cut their dairy & other agricultural subsidies?
    The only thing we know for sure right now is that under the TPPA it will cost the government more to fund Pharmac as patents on drugs are extended.\
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Interesting findings in the latest KPMG report about Foreign Direct investment (FDI) in New Zealand:

http://www.kpmg.com/NZ/en/IssuesAndI...-insights.aspx

Approximately 59% of FDI continues to come from North America, Australia and Europe. Asia accounted for 33% of total investment.
    China’s share of investment has not increased substantially from our previous analysis in 2013. Where investments have occurred they have focused primarily on dairy and real estate development.
    Canada was New Zealand’s most significant source of FDI accounting for 22% based on gross consideration data. China accounted for 14%, USA 13% and Australia 11%.
    The United States is the largest acquirer of land for the 2013-2014 period, followed by China and the Netherlands.
    The largest 20 transactions for 2013 and 2014 account for approx. 64% of the total reported overseas investment.
    So I guess if we follow Labour's racist rants than we now need to be really weary of people with European, North American (specifically Canadian) and Australian surnames. Be careful - particularly if they call themselves names like (e.g.) "Little" (UK / European - sounding) or Twyford (same crowd), People with names like these are not just snapping up property from hardworking Kiwis, they might as well make up stories and don't hesitate to pull the race card.

Shame on Labour.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Five things that are very wrong about your post BP.
    1) Labour wasn't being racist, but it was poorly done.
    3) They didn't make anything up, it was data, simple as that, data from within the industry I might add.
    2) The figures you quote don't include residential housing, so your statement is about as poorly done as Labour's was.
    4) Labour and NZF don't care if its the Chinese, Japanese or Canadians, as they aren't racist. They just don't want NZ gobbled up by the massive economic might of offshore buyers.
    5) Foreign investment in business is supported by both Labour and NZF, they both just don't think we have to sell our land to do it, which unsurprisingly is how most countries view it as well.

Houses in NZs biggest city that houses 1/3rd of the population is getting unaffordable for the average New Zealand citizen let alone the average Aucklander and only you and the very right wing mob can justify how that is a good thing for the country.
    I expect the Australian percentage to increase substantially if National get their way in regards social housing.
    Last edited by Daytr; 17-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

Daytr, pray tell me were there no overseas investments in NZ going on during Labours term in office and if there were, what did they put in place to stop it? Maybe Labour are following their old pattern of flogging the opposition on almost every issue, including the problems that they themselves didn't solve and then coming into office and not doing much anyway. Do you honestly think that if they were as true and honest and good as you seem to think that they would still be fighting to avoid relegation to third place in the public eye after all these years.? As to the apples, the exports are new record levels and we would have difficulty spplying Aussies anyway.
    Last edited by craic; 17-08-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: forgot the apples

Craic, of course there was and as I said foreign investment in business is welcomed by Labour & NZF for that matter.
    Its land ownership that's the problem. I'm not sure if Labour did anything at the time, they may have, as I wasn't living in NZ I wouldn't hazard a comment. The comment I am making is that it is a problem in housing in Auckland right now and there is a very real potential problem with our farms getting picked up whilst vulnerable. So instead of siting idle and the typical John Key response is that nothing is a problem, do something about it & make it meaningful, not just gathering data to confirm the bleedin obvious.

Love them apples ! Aussie apples are far inferior as well, so it's them that are missing out.
    But anyway from what I can tell, you are saying we don't need the TPPA as we are doing just fine without it.
    And I agree. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    See some Labour members at the rent a mob marches including our local Napier bloke. He is stupid enough to risk his seat in an electorate that is pro the deal through or export fruit etc when he only won the last one because Garth McVicar who is well known and popular locally took six or seven thousand votes for the Conservatives. Haven't seen "Marty Feldman" peeping over the parapets recently? Must be on a survival course somewhere.
    Ok so Napier returning to National is a given then??

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    So I guess if we follow Labour's racist rants than we now need to be really weary of people with European, North American (specifically Canadian) and Australian surnames. Be careful - particularly if they call themselves names like (e.g.) "Little" (UK / European - sounding) or Twyford (same crowd), People with names like these are not just snapping up property from hardworking Kiwis, they might as well make up stories and don't hesitate to pull the race card.
    Shame on Labour.
    I guess your as thick as Susan Devoy if you can't tell the difference between racism and xenophobia. Labour stopped a Canadian Pension Fund from buying up the Auckland Airport in the not so distant past. We know where National would have stood on that one. Would we be better off if all the growth and dividends from AIA were going to a Canadian Pension Fund over these last years... I suspect not. Is NZ better off by having foreigners buying up existing assets rather than investing in new industries? That depends on whether you own the assets for sale or not.

Anyway just saw this article and thought it was funny. Nothing new here, I stopped listening to Mike Hosking a long time ago. very entertaining but certainly more of an opinion piece man than an objective journalist. Is he genuinely intelligent or just opinionated. I have never bothered to search his history. I assume he must be pretty bright. certainly quick witted.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...political-bias

Hosking is obviously intelligent, he just has no objectivity which I would have thought is a fairly key component of any journalist.
    He is just a propaganda tool of the Nats. Campbell wouldn't play ball so he got binned.
    This is what NZ has come down to under Key.
    If he doesn't like something get his mates to deal with it, including the media.
    Very dangerous times.
    Even the Flag debate that he has orchestrated Key was telling everyone that the silver fern should be reflected in a new flag, this is days before the final 40 were selected. Has he never heard of undue influence. Like Hosking he doesn't know where to draw the line in regards what is right & wrong.
    Pulling ponytails & bullying women, very wrong.
    Paying off Saudi Businessmen, very wrong, and probably illegal.
    Doctoring invoices to cover up pay offs to said Saudi Businessman. very wrong and probably fraud.
    Appointing a Minister as Chair of the Law & Order committee whilst he is under investigation from the police. Very wrong & shows poor judgment.
    I could go on & on.
    Key has no moral compass & Mike Hosking supports that as long as everyone gets more.
    Well they don't, the only ones that do are the already well off.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    He is just a propaganda tool of the Nats. Campbell wouldn't play ball so he got binned.
    This is what NZ has come down to under Key.
    If he doesn't like something get his mates to deal with it, including the media.
    Very dangerous times.
    A large leap into a conspiracy theory there Daytr. I imagine John Key is a nice enough bloke. I suspect he is not all powerful and his power will remain while he can buy votes through national super giveaways and promised tax cuts. His political ideology might tend to favour the well off, that could be why Mike Hosking is considered right leaning I imagine he gets paid well and has a few assets. Shows being cut from TV would probably reflect their cost and the number of viewers they attract. People get what they watch and what they vote for. Nothing too sinister about that, although I feel a sense of frustration that policies such as capital gains tax, raising the age of eligibility for national super, making retirement saving compulsory etc etc would have all been good for NZ as a country but more painful for the individual more painful than the status quo with honest John anyway.
    Last edited by Aaron; 17-08-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Hosking is obviously intelligent, he just has no objectivity which I would have thought is a fairly key component of any journalist.
    I would have thought the likes of Mike Hosking, Paul Henry and even John Campbell would be thought of more as entertainers than journalists.