sharetrader
Page 854 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3547548048448508518528538548558568578588649049541354 ... LastLast
Results 8,531 to 8,540 of 16077
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Depends if you think foreign ownership of NZ land is an issue. Doesn't matter if they are asian or white and english speaking. I guess the simplistic list was the easiest way to try and confirm what was being said anecdotally about foreign asian buyers driving the housing market. Anyone who says they are not racist is a liar.
    Aaron, let's turn it around. As there is no foreign buyer register at the moment, and you only have fragmented and limited real estate data to go on, how would you begin to try and find out if any countries of origin have an effect on existing house sales in NZ? If you looked at european buyer names, but they didn't appear to be out of proportion with domestic population metrics, wouldn't you move on to other countries of origin if they were reasonably discernible, and see what the pattern was there? Labour makes no apology for wanting to ensure that NZ domiciled people (working here, have NZ residency, or born here) get a chance to buy their first home from existing housing stock. These people could be Chinese born, they could be from anywhere. The argument is the same. Labour want to protect the interests of these people, not overseas speculators.

Advanced Member

Then why did they fail to do it in their last term - or the one before? Sticking pins in a John Key doll for not doing what they failed to do does not impress voters or win elections - Have a look at the current situation - JK is there because he got the most votes and all Labour can hope for is a mickey mouse coalition led by them. Where's their leader?

Craig, Labour got the most votes to win their 3rd term as well. ;-)
    Like Labour, National are suffering from 3rd termism highlighted by arrogance.
    Such a cliché.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Aaron, let's turn it around. As there is no foreign buyer register at the moment, and you only have fragmented and limited real estate data to go on, how would you begin to try and find out if any countries of origin have an effect on existing house sales in NZ?
    Could be done by requiring IRD numbers or equivalent from your home country if not a NZ tax resident, when property is bought, which is what the Government is doing. Simple really and should have been done a long time ago. My wife has just bought a house in one of the Nordic countries but needed to apply for an ID number and provide personal information before she could. Perfectly understandable and acceptable.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Then why did they fail to do it in their last term - or the one before? Sticking pins in a John Key doll for not doing what they failed to do does not impress voters or win elections - Have a look at the current situation - JK is there because he got the most votes and all Labour can hope for is a mickey mouse coalition led by them. Where's their leader?
    Andrew Little has just finished a good stint on TV1 news, again making some good points, like the OIO should be required to check up on the follow-through investments in new jobs and infrastructure that overseas buyers say they are going to bring to NZ. Labour are also pinning National to the ropes over the watered-down workplace health and safety bill changes. Nearly half of all deaths in the workplace occur in businesses with under 20 staff. Businesses like farms, forestry. It's not a big cost to appoint a health and safety officer from staff in smaller businesses, but it is a mindset change for some people. The type of people who spit the dummy over wearing a safely helmet on a quad bike, and we've all met someone like that.

In any case, National have removed this bill from discussion today, probably because the numbers are against them. Either from within, or people like United's Peter Dunne are holding out.

So who says Labour are not doing the job of being an effective opposition?

Advanced Member

When I purchased this small block of land twenty-three years ago, I had to gain some sort of authority because I am not a NZ national. The fact that I had been living here since 1960 and married to a NZ citizen since 1964 probably counted but a law was in place at that time and probably still exists. As to safety, I purchased a skid-lid of the type worn by skaters and others a few days ago and I wear it all the time on the hill. Not concerned about falling branches or pine cones but I am older than most and statistics show that falls are a common factor in my age group. The rest of my body is fine and gets knocked about all the time.

Interesting snippet form todays "Free press":

In a snap debate on the continuing woes of Solid Energy the Greens Gareth Hughes stood up like a nun lamenting a closed abortion clinic. The MP who tweeted “Fantastic news. The end of coal for power is nigh” on Thursday 6th August had this to say on Thursday 13th: “ I would like to start by saying that the Greens’ sentiments and our thoughts are with the workers, their families, and the communities on the West Coast and in Huntly.”
    So - he is over the moon for Solid Energy loosing their business - but a week later he commiserates the workers losing their jobs? What a liar and hypocrite.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

He is neither a liar or a hypocrite and its a very simplistic and derogatory statement to make.
    I wonder if you would say it to his face? As neither are true.
    Are you really suggesting that the celebration of less coal mining an destruction of the atmosphere is also celebrating the loss of jobs related to it?
    If you can't differentiate between the two, then perhaps watch your step as people with only one eye open tend to trip up.
    Why don't we just keep digging up more coal and burn it until the whole of the planet suffers?
    Even the US is cutting coal out of its power plants. Look at the job losses at Peabody owned mines in Australia & elsewhere.
    Its an unfortunate consequence of trying to save the planet from ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Interesting snippet form todays "Free press":

So - he is over the moon for Solid Energy loosing their business - but a week later he commiserates the workers losing their jobs? What a liar and hypocrite.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    He is neither a liar or a hypocrite and its a very simplistic and derogatory statement to make.
    I wonder if you would say it to his face? As neither are true.
    Ouch - so if my statements are not true than you are calling me a liar?

How would you call somebody who is celebrating your company to crash but than (for quite obvious reasons) commiserates the job losses. Daytr, I do not really care what you think, but I am sure the people at the coast will remember the Green "schadenfreude" over their job losses - and so they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    If you can't differentiate between the two, then perhaps watch your step as people with only one eye open tend to trip up.
    Interesting observation ... I presume you talk from experience

Look daytr, there seem to be some topics where we both agree on - and there are clearly many where we do have a different point of view. And that's all it is - just a different viewing angle, we often even might describe the same thing - just from a different angle.

If you don't know what I am talking - hold a coin in front of you face and describe what you see (head or tail). Then ask a friend - (do you have friends?) to sit opposite to you and ask what they see. I am sure it is different. Who is right and who is wrong?

I don't mind a robust discussion about the issues (and, given that this is a political thread - about the politicians creating them), but you have a quite nasty habit of calling everything outside your own quite narrow point of view "wrong" and attacking other posters who don't share your believe system.

Ah well - that's how religions managed to suppress the masses for many centuries, but still - feels sad that humanity didn't yet manage to take the next step. Suit yourself.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 18-08-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: fixed sentence construction
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

The fundamental difference is that he wasn't celebrating the company falling over, but that less coal will be being mined.
    If Solid Energy had retained all its workers by generating renewable energy for instance I'm sure he would be celebrating a great result all round.
    The company falling over and less coal being mined are two quite different things, but in this case unfortunately related.
    Its similar to celebrating the end of a war, you aren't celebrating the death & its destruction caused, but its end.
    I think any reasonable person can see that he wasn't celebrating the loss of jobs.
    But if you are comfortable calling him a liar, then that's your bag.
    I'm not calling you one at all, but its not a fair and reasonable statement that you made and that is where we strongly differ in opinion on this.