sharetrader

Hybrid View

I would buy a investment property first. The leverage on the investment property will see a higher return than shares.

I would go under the presumption of a property to live in and which will allow you to have a 5% deposit. Allowing you to get into the market now.

After a couple of years you can use equity in the property + additional savings to start your share portfolio. Using a revolving credit facility you effectively have margin lending with out the risk of margin calls.
    You make your own luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    I would buy a investment property first. The leverage on the investment property will see a higher return than shares.

I would go under the presumption of a property to live in and which will allow you to have a 5% deposit. Allowing you to get into the market now.

After a couple of years you can use equity in the property + additional savings to start your share portfolio. Using a revolving credit facility you effectively have margin lending with out the risk of margin calls.
    Ahh yes but you see, I don't want to live in my own place.

I want to have the flexibility of renting so I can go overseas, move easily to new jobs if I get them, live in a nicer suburb than I would if I owned a place.

It's really between a rental or shares, as my own house is out of the question until I'm 5-7+ years down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by ENP View Post
    Ahh yes but you see, I don't want to live in my own place.

I want to have the flexibility of renting so I can go overseas, move easily to new jobs if I get them, live in a nicer suburb than I would if I owned a place.

It's really between a rental or shares, as my own house is out of the question until I'm 5-7+ years down the track.
    I was implying that you tell the bank you will live in the property, then rent the property.
    You make your own luck.