sharetrader

Hybrid View

Hi Glen,
    as has already been stated, well done for getting yourself into this position. I wanted to raise a periphery subject (and I have no interests to disclose here) that hasn't been raised by yourself or the repiles so far. Just my opinion. Some may consider it a dirty word, but the benefits of Insurance may appeal to you when you have such a solid income. Working in health perhaps makes me more conscious of the complete s__tstorm of a health related 'rainy day/ month/ year/ lifetime'... and how exposed we are despite ACC and WINZ, unless already attuned to the hardships of poverty. Spend a day or two hanging around a major hospital reception area and you will see what I'm writing about, especially the afternoon when folks are being discharged home. Obviously many are over 65 with the thin cushion of a pension/ super... but there will be some eye wateringly young and formerly high functioning people staring down the barrel of a permanently changed life. And a WINZ income that will not cover their HP and utilities, let alone their existing mortgage. Humbug!
    Insurance comes in all shapes and forms, so DO NOT get rushed into any policies without going to interview (thats right, they work for you) at least 3 brokers and becoming familiar with the basic options of what can be covered and what stand-down and pay-out periods seem appropriate. I see insurance as an expense that I will hopefully never need, but in the worse case scenario gives a breathing space my investments cannot yet produce. By the way, my extended family and many colleagues think I'm a fool to be insured! As noted above, just an opinion.

Look specifically at trauma cover.