I'm no tax expert so it would be wise to get advice from a tax adviser, but in my experience:

- Listing on the NZX isn't a prerequisite for a company to pay NZ imputation credits but obviously the two tend to go to hand in hand, given that a company needs to have a meaningful business in NZ to generate the profits to pay NZ tax to have imputation credits to distribute!

- Westpac pays NZ imputation credits on occasion, eg the final div paid last Dec. The amounts aren't large - I presume because they are obliged to pay equally on all shares, most of which are held by Aussies who can't utilise them. In the same way that NZ taxpayer shareholders can't utilise the 30% Aust franking credits that were attached to that dividend! ANZ hasn't paid any NZ imp credits recently, to my knowledge.

- NAB also pay imp credits on divs sometimes, but not on the latest.

- The only other Aust company that I have benefitted from in this way is AWE who paid a special div a couple of years ago with NZ imp credits attached. No doubt related to profits/tax paid re their 42.5% interest in the Tui oil field. Note that AWE isn't listed on the NZX.