sharetrader
Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11391015

Opps I missed this posted above. As I posted in late December I expected there would be a material effect and its quite clear there has been.
    One thing that getting to know Eliot well, (former boat partner) taught me was that margins in the hospitality business are much finer than you would think after factoring in ALL the costs, (not talking about gross margins here). From memory his net profit before tax was only 8% of turnover, excl his owner salary. He once quipped a 10% drop in his weekly turnover of $50K is all it takes for him to go backwards after drawing his usual reasonably modest owners drawings. Interesting that VIL bought the bar business a few days before the new alcohol limits came into effect using mostly bank debt. Hmmm... I hope they got it dirt cheap. The other thing is several owners have told me that alcohol is where the real money is in cafe's and restaurants so if you take away say 10-15% of the high margin part of the business that would be a serious worry. If I was a shareholder that Herald article would really worry me.
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-02-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Banned

Elsewhere I think Noodles said BBC was on a price:EBITDA ratio of 6.5. It came with $3m of debt IIRC.
    This was from a meeting - couldn't find the 6.5 figure in the NZX announcements.

Likewise, no idea how much Nosh was / is losing but prepared to bet it WAS losing money.
    Actually - why didn't Veritas tell its shareholders how much Nosh was losing - afraid we couldn't handle the truth?!

Again IIRC I think the Nosh urchase and working cap needs were funded by a $5m loan.
    One thing Veritas seems to be good at is getting money out of banks.

Management will be key to deciding if this is the start of a glorious retail company that will dominate the NZ retail landscape for decades to come - or not.

I read a piece on one of the guys (Michael Morton) a year or so ago and on the strength of that one article thought he sounded like a good businessman.

Does anyone have better-grounded opinions?
    Who's running things - is it Mark Darrow?

Thanks, I'll be interested to follow this one for a while to see if they can prove that these acquisitions are EPS accretive.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11391015

Opps I missed this posted above. As I posted in late December I expected there would be a material effect and its quite clear there has been.
    One thing that getting to know Eliot well, (former boat partner) taught me was that margins in the hospitality business are much finer than you would think after factoring in ALL the costs, (not talking about gross margins here). From memory his net profit before tax was only 8% of turnover, excl his owner salary. He once quipped a 10% drop in his weekly turnover of $50K is all it takes for him to go backwards after drawing his usual reasonably modest owners drawings. Interesting that VIL bought the bar business a few days before the new alcohol limits came into effect using mostly bank debt. Hmmm... I hope they got it dirt cheap. The other thing is several owners have told me that alcohol is where the real money is in cafe's and restaurants so if you take away say 10-15% of the high margin part of the business that would be a serious worry. If I was a shareholder that Herald article would really worry me.
    Not all is bad in the hospitality industry
    http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/hosp...sector-6224205

However, we have had a great summer. Full year results may give us the best picture and the impact of the driving laws.

Roger, I take all your points. Thanks for keeping us well informed.
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

There should be some good discussion at "The Cav" (a veritas owned bar) for the Auckland sharetrader meeting
    http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showthr...l=1#post528404
    No advice here. Just banter. DYOR

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    He once quipped a 10% drop in his weekly turnover of $50K is all it takes for him to go backwards after drawing his usual reasonably modest owners drawings. Interesting that VIL bought the bar business a few days before the new alcohol limits came into effect using mostly bank debt. Hmmm... I hope they got it dirt cheap. The other thing is several owners have told me that alcohol is where the real money is in cafe's and restaurants so if you take away say 10-15% of the high margin part of the business that would be a serious worry. If I was a shareholder that Herald article would really worry me.
    Yup. This article concerned me (which is why I posted it a few weeks back) and I wasn't aware of the short time difference between VIL buying BBC and the new drink driving laws coming into effect. Thanks for that observation, Roger.

Without sounding like a broken record - the article is not just speaking about the industry as a whole, but about O'Hagan's - so not only is this law affecting bars, but you have a direct quote on its effect on one of the BBC bars.

Noodles has done his homework so has factored these risks in but it is worth mentioning, especially given how long VIL has owned this part of their business that the results might disappoint.

I will continue to watch (and comment) with interest, but personally would not invest in this stock as it stands.
    Last edited by KiwiGekko; 04-02-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: clarification / typo's

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    There should be some good discussion at "The Cav" (a veritas owned bar) for the Auckland sharetrader meeting
    Yes, gutted I can't make it. Hopefully you all buy plenty of beers to help make up the shortfall from the new drink driving laws eh?

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Yep, sorry mate I jumped the gun a bit, couldn't resist

Banned

Bailed out of this (with difficulty - thin market) for a small profit. Felt uneasy about the management (did more research), size and liquidity, and the BBC / Nosh acquisitions.

sooo..... announcing a "solid half year result" results in the shareprice dropping 7%. My brain hurts.

HALFYR: VIL: Veritas announces solid half year result

VIL
    26/02/2015 08:49
    HALFYR
    PRICE SENSITIVE
    REL: 0849 HRS Veritas Investments Limited

HALFYR: VIL: Veritas announces solid half year result

NZX release
    26 February 2015

Veritas announces solid half year result, confirms 70% dividend.

Highlights

- Half year revenue increase of 89 per cent.
    - NPAT of $1.7m for the half year after acquisition costs.
    - Full 70 per cent interim dividend declared at 2.7cents per share.
    - Nosh Food Markets business (Nosh) acquired and turnaround plan being
    implemented.
    - Nosh General Manager, Rod de Vries appointed.
    - The Better Bar Company group business (BBC) acquired. Some risk resulting
    from legislative changes.
    - 40th Mad Butcher store opened in Nelson.
    - Mad Butcher operating to plan despite supply and price pressures.
    - Kiwi Pacific Foods operating above target.

Veritas Investments Limited (NZX:VIL) announces an unaudited net profit after
    tax (NPAT) of $1.7m for the six months ended 31 December 2014. The result
    includes one-off net costs of acquiring both the Nosh and BBC businesses.

Revenue of $27.4m for the six month period was an increase of 89 per cent
    from the previous year ($14.5m) boosted by the addition of Nosh in September
    2014 and BBC in late November 2014.

Business Trading

Mad Butcher
    The Mad Butcher opened its 40th Store in Nelson in November 2014. The
    business is tracking to targets although there is some pressure from the
    tight supply of product and price pressures. Wholesale red meat prices in
    particular have been at elevated levels and for longer peak periods, fueled
    by increased export demand.

As noted in the Financial Statements, Veritas has retained ownership of the
    Invercargill store and any sale process relating to that store has been
    postponed until revenues have grown. Mad Butcher also owns the Onehunga and
    Henderson stores which are now being actively marketed for re-sale. Ownership
    of stores as a transitional arrangement is a normal part of franchisor
    activity.

Kiwi Pacific Foods
    The joint venture with the Burger King franchisor Antares Restaurant Group is
    going well and ahead of plan. The combination of winning several new supply
    contracts and better procurement processes are making a positive contribution
    to the business.

Nosh Food Market
    Nosh was acquired in September 2014 and is a turn-around business that was
    distressed at the time of purchase and that was reflected in a purchase price
    below net assets. The Board is pleased with progress and the business is
    showing positive signs of improvement.

Rod de Vries was appointed General Manager for Nosh and commenced in January
    2015. The Veritas Board says Nosh is marginally behind in its turn-around
    plan and expects to make a small loss in the turnaround period.

The supply logistics plan will be finalised during the next few months and
    that is expected to materially reduce operating costs. The customer offering
    has improved markedly. Nosh aims to open a new store in Pakuranga around July
    2015 and has secured a high profile site on Pakuranga Road, a major arterial
    road directly opposite Pakuranga Plaza.

The Better Bar Company
    The Better Bar Company was acquired on 28 November 2014 and one month's
    trading has been included in the half year results. The business is
    immediately profitable and will be a material contributor to the Veritas
    Group. The Auckland metro sites are operating above plan. The Hamilton sites
    that were acquired by the vendors in late 2014 are operating below plan. The
    three Hood Street sites are all relatively new including the iconic 'Good
    Home' site. A marketing campaign commences in late February 2015 to launch
    the bar precinct which is anticipated to lift business and profile.

BBC operates in a highly regulated industry and the new drink-driving
    legislation that came in to force on 1 December 2014 has had an impact on the
    business, particularly affecting suburban areas. While a known risk, there
    has been a larger than expected adverse effect right across the hospitality
    sector and the business is closely monitoring how that settles down over time
    and actively working on counter strategies. The industry overall has been
    slow to react with low alcohol beer and wine alternatives and these industry
    strategies are now being brought forward.

Forecast
    The Veritas Board has reviewed the forecast for the full financial year
    ending 30 June 2015 and estimates performance at the lower end of the range
    as indicated in the pro-forma forecasts at the annual general meeting on 25
    November 2014. The key determinants of the full year result will be the speed
    at which the Nosh business improves, performance of the Hamilton BBC sites
    and the medium term effect of the new drink-driving legislation. The Board
    will keep the market appraised later in the year.

Dividend
    The Veritas Board has declared a fully imputed interim dividend of 2.7 cents
    per share. This represents a dividend payout of 70 per cent of NPAT, at the
    top of the dividend policy range.

The record date for the interim dividend is 16 March 2015 and will be paid on
    30 March 2015.

For and on behalf of the Board
    Mark Darrow, Chairman, Veritas Investments Limited

About Veritas Investments Limited
    Veritas Investments is a NZX Main Board-listed investment company focusing in
    the Food and Beverage sector. The shell company was formed in December 2011
    and made its first acquisition of the Mad Butcher franchisor business in May
    2013 through a reverse acquisition transaction. A further investment was
    made in December 2013 for 50% of Kiwi Pacific Foods Limited. In September
    2014 Veritas acquired the Nosh Food Market business. In November 2014 Veritas
    acquired The Better Bar Company group business.
    www.veritasinvestments.co.nz